Help me name my 'Italian' frame brand!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wombus

by wombus

You list a stiffness range on your frames typically that have 10N/m ranges (100-110 or 110-120) - Linear stiffness would measure in N/mm - also for reference typical values are 55-70 N/mm for regular manufacturers (are you suggesting your frames are twice as stiff?)

The other important number is torsional stiffness - measured in Nm/degree of deflection.

If you had actually done the tests on the frames you'd have actual numbers to quote and you wouldn't be citing ranges

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

wombus wrote:You list a stiffness range on your frames typically that have 10N/m ranges (100-110 or 110-120) - Linear stiffness would measure in N/mm - also for reference typical values are 55-70 N/mm for regular manufacturers (are you suggesting your frames are twice as stiff?)

The other important number is torsional stiffness - measured in Nm/degree of deflection.

If you had actually done the tests on the frames you'd have actual numbers to quote and you wouldn't be citing ranges

I think you have misunderstood. We quote a stiffness range because we may vary the amount of carbon wrap at the joints and tube thickness depending on rider characteristics. These impact not only on the weight of the frame but also the stiffness. Did you see the photo's of the stiffness testing machine on our website?

If you go here:

http://www.ciclischiavona.com/about-our-frames/

and click on "weight and stiffness data", it is explained.

Thanks
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

stormur wrote:Frame geometries - no info… I know it's "custom" but … fully ? chainstay length, HT angle ( CX frame seems to be very steep ( I mean really steep ) from images , HT length…

2nd thing are … prices. Well, it has to be really good stuff to price it ( some of it ) on/ close to the level of LOOK and way above f.e. BH.

From your webpage I don't see any reason to buy TT frame from you, and not BH Aero …. or BMC. Or basically anything exc highest priced Pinarello, Sworks or Colnago :shock:

Limtiting warranty for fork to 2y only ?

Web design : content ( vide "warranty" ) is not visible - caused by "background" . Same with menu on some pages.

Zero info about technology : fibers, molding, where is made, how it's made.

Perhaps you do nice gear, but your site completely do not convince me to that. It doesn't make me "hungry" :(

Thanks for your input. Here are my replies below:

1. Everything is custom - chainstay length, head tube angle and length, bottom bracket type, forks. Every frame is made to measure, you choose or we help you choose.

2. You'll find that 2 years is pretty much a standard warranty on forks if they are warrantied at all!: Here are Trek and Specialized gurantee's guarantee:

LIFETIME
Frames for the lifetime of the original owner (except forks...)

This limited warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle frame/frameset such as front forks

3. These are completely bespoke frames. They are hand-made and not mass produced in Taiwan like BH. As an example, I can paint a frame in Taiwan for 48 euros, the same paint finish costs me 300 in Italy.

4. We do not use molds. The tubes are supplied to us from an aerospace facility that obtains its carbon from Toray. The tubes are then glued and wrapped. The manufacturing and design process is described in the "About our frames" section. Everything is sourced in Italy (I thought that was pretty clear?) . The frames are completely assembled in Italy.

5. Pricing. You need to compare our pricing to other hand built custom frame manufacturers - Cyfac, Calfee, Crumpton Parlee etc, not to mass produced frames made in a mold in standard sizes. We are priced at around mid range mass produced Asian made frames, so yes we feel they represent unbeatable value.

These frames are as good as any frame you can purchase anywhere and better than most.

I hope this answers some of your concerns.
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

stormur

by stormur

No it didn't , unfortunately.

I still do not see any reason to buy from you, not "serial" frame. build with high end technology, best materials by company whos is the business from generations.

I think - correct me if i'm wrong - that for you to be on Parlee ballpark, you need time & experience. Plenty of both. And more than that . I don't care WHERE it's made. I care HOW it's made. Who's Know-How, experience and craftmanship stays behind it.

you are not even close with Tomassini experience , being more expensive / customized Italian frames as well /.

you just cut ready tubes, wrap them with fiber + epoxy, paint and call "HAND MADE ITALIAN" … to be a Italian framebuider you need much more than that. And Italian frame buiders use their family names. Have nothing to be ashamed.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Just guessing from the designs, but I'd say that they're being made by ,Sarto. If correct, that's a good builder with good pedigree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

No they're not made by Sarto. I did meet with them back in the day, I even tested a frame, but the price targets I was aiming to achieve were not doable given their own-brand pricing strategy. It's possible we may be sourcing our tubes from the same manufacturer.

www.ciclischiavona.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Naming a bike after characters of The Godfather...

...really?

Without a tongue-in-cheek, movie related, blub (ala Ritte) it sounds lame. Sorry. And to be quoting forum members (in not just this but other models too) on your site - a site that moves as quickly as me up a Col - is simply not the stuff a successful brand is built on.

I say this as a consumer and as someone with an Italian father. You've gone and adopted this Italian persona, but gotten stuck between marketing it in the classic sense (which is the whole point of going Italian right, the heritage factor) and marketing it in a hip and 'bleeding-edge of deign' sense.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i would certainly not name it mambo, although you have a nice name. maybe pick something that means fast or quick.