HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:32 pm 

Interesting. I was wondering about Alibaba and their IPO. I'd have a hard time believing people would invest in a company known to be related to counterfeit goods. I noticed Aliexpress still has a decent amount of fake goods.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:52 am 

I detest counterfeit goods. The majority are SUBSTANDARD, whether it is shoes, sunglasses, bike parts etc the materials are never the same and things like sunglasses and bike parts have the ability to negatively affect your health.
Recently we had a heap of jeans and other clothing removed from shops due to carcinogenic dyes being used, and it is well known that cheap shoes from China use toxic methods to tan the leather and these toxins can be absorbed through the skin, and with fake Oakleys etc you risk eye damage as the fake lenses do not have the same UV filters as good sunnies from a reputable brand. With bike frames, wheels etc you risk injury or death in the event of failure.
I would rather buy a cheaper model from a reputable brand instead of settling for a fake or "No Name" item.
The same goes for tools for bike and car.
No matter how many dollars you save on the counterfeit goods, no amount of $$$$$ will make you feel better when you have cancer or a serious injury or cataracts in your eyes.
I have no problem with goods made in China as Cervelo, Falco and many other brands build bikes in China using good materials and QC
The fake goods are cheap for a reason - cheaper materials or manufacturing methods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:52 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:09 am 

A lot of bold statements here. "The majority," "sunglasses affect your health" "CANCER" "cataracts"
Methinks you're blowing this out of proportion a bit over the loss of buying cheap knockoff water bottle cages.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:14 am 

Ozrider wrote:
I detest counterfeit goods. The majority are SUBSTANDARD, whether it is shoes, sunglasses, bike parts etc the materials are never the same and things like sunglasses and bike parts have the ability to negatively affect your health. ...

No matter how many dollars you save on the counterfeit goods, no amount of $$$$$ will make you feel better when you have cancer or a serious injury or cataracts in your eyes.

*sigh*

Really? The majority?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yywGRtppRA8

You can afford 4 minutes of time, surely.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:58 am 

As stated in the article, the problem is the demand for "cheap" stuff and some people just do not care about any of the tradeoffs. Some are lucky and swear by their counterfeit goods, even to the point at ridiculing those who purchase the real thing. One local rider laughed in my face for purchasing a real C59; he basically said I was an idiot to buy a real Colnago when his Chinarello cost 1/8 of that and he's had no issues with it. While I feel incredibly strongly against buying fake/cheap products, many people don't care and people like that local rider have influenced others to buy fake products. This seems like a never-ending battle; one worth fighting I believe or we lose some innovation in the market.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:09 am 

Don't worry Alexaqui, I've ridden a chinarello and you made a good decision buying a real c59.

Post subject: Pinarello cracks down
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:48 am 

kulivontot wrote:
A lot of bold statements here. "The majority," "sunglasses affect your health" "CANCER" "cataracts"
Methinks you're blowing this out of proportion a bit over the loss of buying cheap knockoff water bottle cages.

Never bought cheap knock offs, so I have no idea what you are on about

@prendefreu - whatever rocks your boat.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:35 am 

again...: Read Bourdieau's Distinction. A Social Critique Of The Judgement Of Taste in order to understand more about fake copies, cheap knock offs etc. It's much more complicated than 'get whatever you like'.

https://archive.org/details/Ebooksclub. ... entOfTaste

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:17 pm 

bombertodd wrote:
Don't worry Alexaqui, I've ridden a chinarello and you made a good decision buying a real c59.

How do you know he made a good decision?

Are you sure you were riding a "real" chinarello, and not a cheap knockoff?

/sarcasam

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:25 pm 

3T has also a page warning about counterfeits... worth reading!

http://www.3tcycling.com/fakes-just-say-no/

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:50 pm 

Some basic info on counterfeit goods.
http://www.iacc.org/counterfeiting-statistics.html

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:21 pm 

yeah, I've been looking for good prices on stems, a 325 dollar 3T ARX LTD stem shows up all over E-bay for 50-60 bucks in all kinds of exotic colors... it's a stem, where your hands and steering go. not worth the $$$ savings...

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:30 pm 

vdrey wrote:

How do you know he made a good decision?

Are you sure you were riding a "real" chinarello, and not a cheap knockoff?

/sarcasam

It's a chinarello a fake Pinarello? So a "real"chinarello = cheap knockoff.

The dealer I bought my wife's Pinarello had a fake Pinarello you could ride at your own risk. It felt terrible compared to the real Dogma and C59. Felt like a super stiff and uncomfortable aluminum frame with a flexy fork.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
bombertodd wrote:
The dealer I bought my wife's Pinarello had a fake Pinarello you could ride at your own risk. It felt terrible compared to the real Dogma and C59. Felt like a super stiff and uncomfortable aluminum frame with a flexy fork.
Maybe it was a fake fake Pinarello. In other words it was not a "real" fake Pinarello, but was created by Pinarello and/or its distributor or dealer as a way to convince people to buy real Pinarellos by showing how bad fake Pinarellos are. I.e., they were purposely trying to give fake Pinarellos a bad name by making a really bad quality fake Pinarello, thereby tarnishing the reputation of "legitimate" so to speak less bad quality fake Pinarellos.

Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:21 pm 

^This!

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next