3D printing for extreme tuning, thoughts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Really nice and innovative forms on this fully 3d printed Ti frame:

mrfish

by mrfish

Did the bike above cost more or less than a mid range BMW to produce?

I think hand layup will be with us until workers in China demand European wages. Then production will move to India or Africa. After that we might see new production technologies being used.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

Still exciting technology. I hope this thread takes off with some home made WW parts, accessories, components etc.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

mattr

by mattr

mrfish wrote:Did the bike above cost more or less than a mid range BMW to produce?

Probably more. But seeing as a year or so ago it would have cost as much as a mid range private jet (if it had even been physically possible to do!) it's not going to be long before it can compete, at least for small batch/special stuff.

I know when I left the aerospace industry, printed parts made even our prototype workshop guys wince when they saw the price of equipment/parts. They'd also think nothing of dropping a couple of million quid on a one off machined housing.

I can get stuff made now on the basis of a 3D model and a signature from myself.
We've got a dozen or more 3D printers for various types of plastic and an off-site lab for working in metals.

I can get a proto bracket, that is almost fully functional, for around £20.

Wouldn't be surprised if the optimisation that can now be actually manufactured might see ti frames lighter than cf.

LloydP

by LloydP

Depends on what you want and how you do it. We're looking at Additive Layer Manufacture at work, but current results show it needs a lot of post-processing to approach the properties we're used to achieving with current methods. Should probably point out this is with metallics.
One of the guys at work had a few bits made in plastic, but they didn't last very long. Again, don't think they had the properties of a traditionally made part, but they did look nice!
The technology has potential, whatever you call it, but still has a long way to go in my opinion

ms6073

by ms6073

mrfish wrote:After that we might see new production technologies being used.

Isn't that what the BMC Impec was supposed to help do? My understanding is that the Impec's 'new technology', adapted from process machinery similar to what has been used to manufacture aircraft parts and assemblies for Airbus, Boeing, and Embraer, while a bit faster, is not only more complex, but also more expensive and prone to higher product defect rates.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

dogg

by dogg

wow that "track" bike is fcuking henious. kill it with fire.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

I so want to strip that bike above apart and make it bad ass to our taste...right?!

Regardless of any twisted opinion about the technology, we just have to agree that is opening doors to creativity like never before. The Cycling Industry is craving for innovation from a business standpoint, and there is actually nowhere else to go the be honest: two wheels a frame, pedal, seat and a handlebar...and that's it. Whatever is different is the seller to these days. So here is the new era, were the possibilities are endless!
Last edited by andreszucs on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

3d printed cassette section for testing I've just made, material is Stainless steel.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Very exciting!

dogma85

by dogma85

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA! This cassette is madness!!! Amazing idea!

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Some great stuff to come

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Prototype headset bearing cover (dust cap) for a 2015 Cipollini BOND. This frame has a IS47 top bearing with a centering ring for a 1-1/8" steerer. Stock part has an OD = ~53mm. I hadn't seen any low profile bearing covers that would fit, so I contemplated having one machined out of aluminum. While waiting for the machine shop to respond, I found 3dHubs - a site which represents small/independent 3d printers around the world. You submit your design (STL format), select a local printer and available printing options, get your quote, submit for printing. This was a very simple, low-cost method to get started with 3d printing. Also, you can print with different providers to evaluate the output of different machines/materials.

- Created the models using Autodesk 123Design (Desktop version - iPad version was pretty weak)
- ~30 minutes total design time
- Submitted job on Thursday, ready on Monday evening
- $18USD for (2) designs x (2) copies each
- ABS material in 2 colors, grey parts printed on a higher-end machine (fewer imperfections)

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Isn't it nice to wrap your head around this project right?

I have been using Shapeways a lot for all my projects...also using their Stainless Steel material....its a very dense material but depending on the size of the parts the weight penalty isn't that big of deal if we want to apply for bicycle components.

Ti printing is still out of question and very expensive...but its out there. Imaterialize is offering Ti also - https://i.materialise.com/materials

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com