New Hour Record rules

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mythical

by mythical

The cycling bobos in Aigle have become more lenient with regulations for the world hour record. This looks like an exciting development! Any takers? Fabian Cancellara? Tony Martin? Anyone really fast?

UCI Press Release wrote:PRESS RELEASE: Hour record: regulations modernised and simplified

From now on, the Hour record can be beaten using any bicycle that complies with the rules governing bikes used in endurance competitions on the track. The new rules are less restrictive than those that, since 1st October 2000, have governed the technical specifications of bikes authorised to tackle the Hour record.

In parallel, the distinction between “Hour record” and “Best hour performance” has been abolished. This distinction was introduced on 1st October 2000 after the UCI had adopted (on 1st January 2000) a new Equipment Regulation defining the technical characteristics of bikes that could be used in competition, excluding the use of prototypes and introducing an approval procedure for any new technology. Backdating the new regulation, the UCI considered at the time that the last Hour record established with a bicycle in compliance (with the regulation it had just introduced) dated back to 1972 for men, when Eddy Merckx rode 49 km 431, and 1978 for women (Cornelia Van Oosten-Hage, 43 km 083). Consequently, all records established since then, up until and including the records of Chris Boardman (56 km 375) and Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (48 km 159) in 1996, received the new name “Best hour performance.”

According to the regulation in force from today, all successful attempts on the hour that respected the rules applicable at the time the record in question was achieved are considered “Hour records.” In the light of the current regulation, the records to be beaten today are those established by Ondrej Sosenka (49 km 700) for men and Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (46 km 065) for women, as these two athletes beat the Hour record using equipment which is still within the regulations currently applicable to track endurance events.

UCI President Brian Cookson commented: “This new rule is part of the modernisation of the UCI Equipment Regulation. Today there is a general consensus that equipment used in competition must be allowed to benefit from technological evolution where pertinent. This kind of evolution is positive for cycling generally and for the Hour record in particular. This record will regain its attraction for both the athletes and cycling fans.”

In order to be validated, any attempt at the record must be organised with the agreement of the UCI, which will appoint a Commissaire and other officials who must be present at the chosen velodrome.

UCI Communications Services
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

maquisard

by maquisard

To be honest, the athlete's hour record was one of the few things the old and bold UCI did right. Sad to see it go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

I think they should have 2, the Merckx record, the athletes record, whatever you want to call it, and then the "unlimited" or "open" class record where you use anything with wheels and no motors...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mythical

by mythical

And then I read this (title is self-explanatory): http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-interested-in-hour-record
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

53x12

by 53x12

mjduct wrote:I think they should have 2, the Merckx record, the athletes record, whatever you want to call it, and then the "unlimited" or "open" class record where you use anything with wheels and no motors...

Can you imagine someone like Cancellara/Martin/Wiggins in something like this?

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

vdrey

by vdrey

That would be awesome

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mjduct

by mjduct

I can...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

maquisard wrote:To be honest, the athlete's hour record was one of the few things the old and bold UCI did right. Sad to see it go.

Really?

It seems like a nice idea, but it totally killed the hour. How many attempts have there been by top (really world class) riders since the Merckx rules were introduced? One - Boardman in 2000.

Apart from Sosenka's most likely doped ride, the only other time I'm aware that someone's had a crack at it is Hutch in 2003 & 4. That's nearly 20 years with no interest at all. Hardly a roaring success.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

Lol... And Mercx never doped whilst setting those records ;)