Edge 510 losing rides, and all data, Garmin acknowledges ..

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

n808

by n808

In case any other Edge 510 owners are having problems losing ride data, or all data on your device for that matter, Garmin has finally acknowledged there is a serious problem: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... g-All-Data : "Garmin is aware of this issue that some of you are reporting where the Edge 510 seemingly loses your data and settings". They are testing a fix. Hopefully it won't introduce a number of other problems, but I guess it can't get much worse.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not sure I understand. I usually Stop the timer, then Save the data, thereby resetting the timers etc to zero. A while after the device says "Ride saved to history" I turn it off.

Losing a ride once in a while is just the smaller problem. The current firmwares 2.9 and 3.0 also randomly deletes all other data. I have lost all Activities (just gone from the folder, with one oddly named file left). Another time I lost all Profiles, Settings, and Bike data, and even after a master reset, the device was completely messed up. I had to re-format the filesystem, and have the device re-create the default data and folder structure to get going again.

I can only hope Garmin's next revision takes care of this serious file system corruption bug.

BTW, I love how Garmin added the word "seemingly" to the sentence "Garmin is aware of this issue that some of you are reporting where the Edge 510 seemingly loses your data and settings". If it's only seemingly lost, then I guess it's not entirely as bad as it sounds.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

53x12

by 53x12

That is why I upload my rides to three different online services (Garmin, Strava, Cycling Analytics), save files from my Edge 510 directly to my desktop computer hard drive and then an external hard drive and upload to my laptop to analyze with GoldenCheetah.

Enought redundancy and backups built in that I am not worried about losing my data.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

n808

by n808

I do the same. But then I also backup the entire file system, as it was a pain to set up everything, bike profiles, pages etc, when the whole device got corrupted.

I have also lost all data points in a single ride 3 different times, as have many others.
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.ph ... the-middle
Only start and a few points before stop were recorded, but averages and totals etc were all correct. So now I run iPhone Strava as a backup on longer rides - a big hassle.

Fortunately, f/w 3.10 is out now, which fixes the deleted files problem. Hopefully it also fixes recording reliability, and other file system corruption issues.