Metal Crankset - Sweet Wings or Coda Magic?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Given a choice between the two which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Sweet Wings
67%
Coda Magic
33%

Total votes: 6

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm curious what you guys think of these cranksets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Hehehehe, This thread is no good without pics! :wink: :lol: That said, I'm glad someone still remembers the days when top end cranks were made out of an isotropic material. :thumbup:

One caveat, it would've been better to put Magic Motorcycle instead of Coda Magic cranks, even if only to give credits to their creator, Alex Pong. Coda's were cheaper Cannondale knockoffs. It's also interesting to keep in mind that the MMC's served as the predecessor for the current SiSL cranks, so imagine how good they really were and how much they were ahead of their time!
Of course, that could even apply to a greater degree about the Sweet Wings, that set new benchmarks for stiffness and weight savings...

My vote goes to the Sweet Wings, because the Coda Magic cranks were just not quite it in comparison to the original.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I found some negative press about the Sweet Wings... specifically that the splines on the bottom bracket spindle wore out and stripped frequently under load. I haven't found anything particularly negative about the Magic crankset... although some people expressed concerns about the proprietary chainrings required. I love the looks of both... very industrial and sturdy. I thought the Sweet Wings would look really good if I got them powder-coated or plated to match a steel build I have in the works. I considered the Magic as an option to either polish or anodize, but they look awesome raw. But if the rings don't work with a 10-speed chain they might be useless. So I am torn between the two.

Doolop

by Doolop

Now? I would never use either. Sweet wings then, because of durability.

redbeard

by redbeard

To this day I still want some Sweet Wings. They were such an amazing product back in the day. I remember talking to them on the phone a few times just getting my money ready. For some reason I chose Zipp cranks and broke them in a race climbing an overpass.
I miss the Jerk because your stem is still too short.
Your saddle is probably too high as well.
Oh, and your cleats too far forward.

eric01

by eric01

Magic motorcycle by a mile. I remember the first time I saw them in a magazine -- back in the day before the internet took off for the masses. Was still in school, so no way I could afford them. Very drool worthy.

If we really want to take a trip down memory lane ---remember the Bullseye cranks? I believe they were the original one piece crank arm + spindle design. And this was back in the early 90s
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I bought one of each... now to figure out what I'm going to do with them.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

i've owned and used the sweet wings on my mountain bike and my road bike, back in 96-98 or so. I never had problems, except for a slight tolerance issue between the big bearing (LEFT side!) and the spindle. it would have a slight amount of play, as if the bearing was shot, but it was actually a very slight gap in the bb/bearing interface. a little green loctite pretty much fixed it, until the next time. today, i'd probably hit the area with a spring loaded center punch a few times to tighten up the fit.
anyways, that's the main thing i've heard, as well as lack of bearing sealing, some spotting,rusting on the plating, etc.
i really loved the cranks, enough that i bought them again at a swap meet, without a bike to put them on. their quill stem was pretty nice too. always very well thought out. just like in craig's new life, at ee cycles.
i'd attribute the lack of negative feedback from the Magics with the lack of Magic cranks out there!

-greg

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Sweets were nice. Someone should produce them again.
Slight off topic: why could Magic Motorcycle produce their awesome crank for BSA bottom brackets, but no one can make an SISL work? Are they that different? Was the outboard Magic bearing too weak? I don't remember problems back in the day, other than all the shims.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The Coda/Magic Crankset is BEAUTIFUL! I especially like the one-piece 53/39 chainring. Phots on the scale to come later but the entire crankset, bottom, bracket, and chainrings is as light as or lighter than most modern carbon cranksets (excluding exotics light AX or THM).

download/file.php?id=41753&mode=view

Doolop

by Doolop

Honestly I just don't see why you would want either of these on your bike now.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Because I am planning a retro build...

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Wow! These cranksets are impressively light considering their construction. Both were clearly ahead of their time. I think the Cannondale/Magic crank is beautiful, especially with the one-piece dual chainring. The Sweet Wings though, really touch the soft spot I have for steel. I think I'll use them for my sonn-to-be custom steel build and maybe put the Coda cranks on a retro Cannondale or even an old Klein.

Coda = 742 grams with bottom bracket and chainring(s).
Sweet = 525 grams with bottom bracket and no rings.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 4d0a91140b

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Nice. BTW, if you dig deep enough, you might uncover the hens teeth-like Sweet Wings made out of titanium.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm sure I couldn't afford them if I found them...