PBK duty charges to US.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Did a search here and couldn't find any answer to my question. I have been ordering parts from PBK for years now, including wheels. Have not once ever got any duty charges. I have even seen the list of tariffs that should be applied to import cycling items posted here several times in the last few years and never saw anything I bought (excluding wheels) as items that could be charged duty. However, I placed an order for some tubular tires and clear replacements only to get an email several days later saying the following below:

aircitypost

05.09.2014 MR A……………………..D
MR A…………………………………….D
8XXXXXXXXXXXXX LN
VXXXXXXXXXXX
FLORIDA, 32XXX

Dear MR A………………………….D,

You have recently placed an overseas order for the following that is subject to the United States Customs process:

Product: CONTINENTAL COMPETITION 22 TUBULAR ROAD TYRE BLACK, TIME I-CLIC / EXPRESSO REPLACEMENT PEDAL CLEATS -
Shipper: THE HUT GROUP
Declared Value: $351.37
Your tracking number: 9XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX6893

You are required to pay the following United States Customs Duty and related fees in order to clear customs and have your parcel shipped to you:

Customs Duty: $1.57
Advancement Fee: $6.50
Handling Fee: $15.00
TOTAL: $23.07

Please click here to complete the payment process.

The United States Postal Service (USPS) will ship your parcel to you. It will be delivered to you in 3-5 days once US Customs releases the parcel. You can track your parcel by clicking here.
We will hold your parcel 17 days. If payment for the above fees is not paid by then, your parcel will be returned to the Shipper. Please contact me at the email address below with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Joseph Jordan
aircitypost
153-63 Rockaway Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11434
jjordan@aircitypost.com

Is this for real? I sent PBK and email inquiring, but haven't heard from them yet. Has anyone else received something similar? Have the taxable item list changed??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have ordered many items from them as well. I just received an order of tires a few weeks ago. I have never received anything like this before! I would question the handling fees. I never order from any company oversees who uses FedEx International shipping. FedEx also charges exhorbitant "Advancment/Handling" Fees.

Rick

by Rick

I have ordered many things from PBK over the years and never had to pay those fees or duties.

Bu I haven't ordered (successfully) recently. The last order I made they showed an item as in-stock, but then simply didn't ship for about 2 weeks. So when I inquired they said they were waiting for shipment from their supplier and it would be another 2 weeks. Then, after about 3 weeks they just cancelled the order. I think something has changed at PBK.

rijndael

by rijndael

I just got a pair of tires from PBK, and have done a lot of business with them in the past, there were no fees/duties.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The company appears to be legit

http://www.aircitypost.com/

Looks to me like Probikekit may have joined in with those "helpful" vendors who include duties, taxes and other fees in their cross-border shipping costs.

Just don't use them in future, and tell them why.

Either this or it's a phishing scam. PBK should be able to confirm.

Suggest you don't click the link>
Last edited by bikerjulio on Fri May 09, 2014 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

I'm pretty sure PBK has been skirting the issue of charging/collecting duties for shipments to the US. IIRC, they have been sending items and packages as a gift rather than for purchase.

bura

by bura

Case could be more complicated than it occurs.
Being not located in the US I have not paid customs for PBK orders in the past.
Experienced that PBK declares full goods value and does not "help" their customers with low declarations and "gift" sending.

But looking at the terrifying public depth figure of the US it may be that something might has been changed within the customs rules of the US.
Not sure about this but would not blame the US gov if US customs office would go for "tighter examination" of imported packs.

And if someone claims not having paid customs then it could be explained just by handling methods in other countries customs regs.
For the sake of speedy handling some county customs (France,Italy,Spain) only examine the size and/or weight of a pack rather than checking its value one by one.

Personally I do not think that PBK can give some satisfactory statement to one specific case .On the other hand they might have some info about recent US customer issues with the same "problem".
Summarizing I do not think that it is a PBK solvable issue.

You will know how to find out where to pay these charges to guess if your funds really reach US customs account.
In my country I pay customs either cash at the customs office or online transfer to one of the gov accounts but never paid customs to a
third side to pass my funds over to the government side.
Handling charges of 15 bucks sound a little strange though.
Good luck.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

sorry @bura but I have to disagree.

firstly if it is a phishing scam, the last thing you'd want to do is send off your CC information.

secondly, some US vendors are already teamed up with a shipper who handles the cross-border movement. At the moment Nashbar and Jenson do this for customers in Canada. These vendors add Canadian import duties and sales tax at the time of purchase. eBay seems to have a system going with FedEx as well to do the same.

So if PBK are using this firm they would know. But i'm leaning towards it being a scam.

edit.

PBK have nothing on their site about using this firm.

OP what is the originating email address? Usually a scam giveaway.

We know that vendors can get hacked (Target??), but why is this not being more widely reported? OP can't be the only one surely?
Last edited by bikerjulio on Sat May 10, 2014 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

One.

rijndael

by rijndael

FWIW: A quick search on Google reveals that this is not a new issue with PBK, and has been around for at least 5 years.

bura

by bura

bikerjulio: No problem with it. You may add IMO and AFAIK to my post and we will have a consensus.

rijndael: As I do purchase at PBK from time to time. So seriously would like to know what exactly I should google?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

rijndael

by rijndael

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The order information in that email could only have come from PBK. And there seem to me to be only two ways that could happen - either they gave it to aircitypost, and would have the knowlege (and would mention it I would have thought on their shipping info), or it was hacked.

One.

bura

by bura

rijndael: thx for the link. Looked at many posts there. Like here there are people who paid customs related to PBK buys and others who did not.
Not insisting on anything but it may be declaration related.
Bad thing would be that PBK knows about this but is insisting on some declaration types.

bikerjulio: Is is possible that the shipping info is taken directly from the invoice on top of the pack which can be scanned and available online?

Hope dgasmd get's sorted it out.
Kuota Kom Evo
SOLD

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

My point is that aircitypost is a private company, their business is freight forwarding and customs clearing, and they provide these services to companies that wish to use them. Not the US government.

http://air-city.com/01_home.html

So unless PBK has contracted with them to handle processing and shipping within the US, they would not be doing this.

Personally I've never dealt with PBK, but with other vendors I've found their online live chat works very well. If PBK have this then I'd suggest OP use it.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Total BS. An advancement fee of $6.50 on duty of $1.57 ?! And then a $15 handling charge? So the clearinghouse is basically charging you $21.50 for paying $1.57 on your behalf. Maybe just refuse delivery and tell PBK to issue a refund?