Raised seat => saddle sore

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CBJ

by CBJ

So after a fitting this winter I have raised my seat aprox. and inch or 2.5cm. Now both on the mountain bike and the road bike I am getting wear where butt transitions into the leg in the crease. I am riding the shame bibs and I have had it with 3 different pairs. Ridden the same bibs before the fitting and never had the problem before. Not sure why its happening and no idea what to do so please help :noidea:

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I'm no expert but it sounds like you've raised the saddle too much and now your hips are rotating at the bottom of your stroke to accommodate the longer distance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Two things.
Your saddle is probably too high.
All fits are not equal.

Stoo

by Stoo

I had a fit last week and the fitter dropped my saddle slightly.

No more sores.

Coincidence?
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

+1 on saddle height. Drop the saddle 1mm until you can no longer detect any hip rock. You should be able to feel it with the bike on a trainer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

And for what it's worth big changes like that are a bad idea if you need to change that much due it 5 mms at a time

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Retul by any chance??
Official cafe stop tester

Stoo

by Stoo

Mine was a retul fit. Yes.
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

jekyll man

by jekyll man

From what I've seen which isn't exactly a scientific study, Retul normally results in saddles going up by about 30mm and causing problems.
Official cafe stop tester

fitty4

by fitty4

I don't know when you had your fit but if it is less than 2 weeks and if you are pushing it just the same as on the old bike it maybe could give some pain issues. One also has to get used to the new position that takes for some at least 2 weeks and after a fit one should take it a bit more easy so the body can get used to new position.

CBJ

by CBJ

Yes, on Retul fit.

Its a while ago I did a fit maybe 1.5 month.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Are you saying the Retul fitter raised your seat 2.5cm? That is an absolutely gigantic difference in saddle height. If it has been 1.5 months and there's been no change I'd say something is off with the fit, most likely the saddle is too high.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Yeah 2.5 cm is too much to do it all at one time. maybe over a period of time while you were riding in the spring.
Also if you move your seat up 2.5 cm you will likely need to adjust the seat forward to compensate for the new seat position because then your leg is at a different angle. You are further out from the pedal axle. You also might need to adjust bar height, and stem length unless you are flexible to stay in the new position.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

CBJ

by CBJ

stella-azzurra wrote:Yeah 2.5 cm is too much to do it all at one time. maybe over a period of time while you were riding in the spring.
Also if you move your seat up 2.5 cm you will likely need to adjust the seat forward to compensate for the new seat position because then your leg is at a different angle. You are further out from the pedal axle. You also might need to adjust bar height, and stem length unless you are flexible to stay in the new position.

Agree its a big change to move that much at once. I have gotten a bike with a 3cm taller HT and a shorter stem. The seat has actually been moved back as I had a zero off set post before and that was not working out at all and causing pain on the top of my foot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

/Rantmode on

Annnnd once again the fitter idiocy rears it's head. I'm at a loss why people go to these quacks. There is clear proof every fitter is just making it up as they go. Even the good fitters just use experience, not a system:

1. There is no agreed upon ideal fit. Indeed, from fitter to fitter, from system to system, results vary wildly.
2. There is no uncontested scientific evidence that one fit is better than the other.
3. Everyone is different. Some are agile, some have hidden pains (for example a shoulder issue). There is no system that catches those things.
4. Within reason a body gets used to a position. People freak out about a cm of drop more or less, while you get used to it pretty fast (within reason).
5. Cycling is a dynamic activity. Everyone moves cm's fore and aft.

Yeah, there are a few good fitters out there, but generally you can do it yourself cheaper and better. A tip to save yourself a TON of cash: Just use Genzling's calculations for a first fit and then "feel" your way from there.

Goddime everytime I hear the advice "Go to a fitter, it's the best money you ever spent" my head hurts. It's lazy advice to spent a crap ton of cash for a rather debatable outcome.

/Rantmode off