Shaped leg warmers, what is out there

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fitty4

by fitty4

I'm pretty sure I figured out that my leg warmers sometimes gives me cramps, my legwarmers are really tight and has the stitches on the backside and after some time they start to fold up behind the knee. My veins pop out a little on the legs and my muscles are very soft so I believe that the warmers close up my blood circulation, I think my theory was proven today. I went for 1½ hour ride today very easy, after 1 hour the cramp started in my rear thigh where it always starts and exactly where the fabric folds and where most of my veins are visible.

I'm looking for a good fit, assos could the ones, what else is on the market? any seamless?

eric

by eric

Specialized make some that are knee shaped. Mine have seams on the side, not front or back, and they're flat seams which I don't notice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VNTech

by VNTech

Not waterproof, nor super warm, but these are the most comfortable leg warmers I've used. They're knit, so they bend around your knee just like a sock bends around your heel. Good from 5˚ to 18˚ or so, I frequently wear them in place of knee warmers in the spring and fall because they breath so well.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/11/bikes-and-tech/clothesline/reviewed-giordana-dryarn-knit-leg-warmers_310099
VeloNews Magazine/VeloNews.com tech

Oswald

by Oswald

I have the Assos LegUno_S7. I'm pretty happy with them and use them a lot. Mostly on spring and autumn rides in combination with the Assos T.équipe_s7 shorts. But also in winter, as they are warm enough for winter rides in combination with an Assos T.607_s5.
They have seems, but I've never noticed them.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I like smart wool knee warmers, they have no seams and of course breathe. They are cheap and work great for the early spring and summer rides.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I think you will need to get better fit. Improve your cycling fitness and cramps will go away.

First make sure you got the right size leg warmers.
Then go out and train to improve your fitness.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Oswald

by Oswald

I worked in a cleanroom for a couple of months (worst job of my life :mrgreen: ) and had to wear this horrible suit that had straps around my calves. The pain in my calves was so severe I could barely walk. And I was in the best shape of my life then, I was doing xc races and mtb marathons at the time. I was the only one experiencing this. I guess they were restricting the blood flow by pressing on some bloodvessels.
So these cramps don't mean that he is in bad shape.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Did you read my second line? :smartass: :noidea:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

fitty4

by fitty4

thanks for the replies everyone. stella-azzurra here are some numbers from the ride:
Distance 38.6km
Moving Time 1:26:36
Elevation 298m

avg. max.
Speed 26.8km/h 55.4km/h
Heartrate 122bpm 153bpm
Cadence 86 107
Power 149W 403W
Calories 865

my ftp is around 265 and max puls 180

the warmers are the right size just not the right fit for me, my skin turns red behind the knee form the fold ups and the stitching. It doesn't matter if the warmers are not to blame for my cramps I just want leg warmers that are warm with a really good fit , it doesn't need to be seamless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rush

by Rush

Assos warmers are good. However I've found that the sort of shorts you wear depend on their performance (because they don't have any upper-thigh grippers).

Worn underneath Assos bibs they are great. When used with cheaper Nalini shorts they slide down a bit. IMO they presume that a fair amount of compression is applied by the shorts (both in terms of the lycra and the silicon/rubber grippers).