Specialized at it again...now Neil Pryde

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

LardLover

by LardLover

Schnice :cool:

zulu695

by zulu695

Wow just wow, Allez and Alize really, common specialized

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TuplaO

by TuplaO

What a *f##k* joke.

headwind816

by headwind816

:noidea:

I do not even want to go into a shop that carries Specialized at this point. If this is how big business operates then I want to increase my spending to small businesses.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I hope FUJI charges them some bank to use those names that spesh copied.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

bura

by bura

Why I do not like Specialized.
If there is a huge drop in their sales hope they will relate it to this f......... behavior.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

OJ

by OJ

What a bunch of douches. I hereby declare, that I will not purchase anything that has anything to do with them ever again. In fact, I will get rid of any stuff that has anything to do with them. Big enough bonfire and problem solved.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Sad.

Obviously they were not able to monopolize the name "Roubaix". Bet they tried.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

vinceflynow

by vinceflynow

I have lost all respect for Specialized as a company. First they sue over Cafe Roubaix. Now they force Neilpryde to change name of their bike. Specialized is the epitome of corporate narcissism and greed in the cycling community.
Last edited by vinceflynow on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quattrings

by quattrings

Mike Sinyard, Specialized Founder wrote: I Screwed up, and I own it

I would like to apologize and let everyone know I realize I handled this situation wrong from the start and I’m very sorry for that. As many of you have probably already seen by now, I went up to Café Roubaix to meet with Dan in person to apologize and make good with him. Café Roubaix will continue on with its name. The video is up on Café Roubaix’s Facebook page. Dan is the real deal, after meeting him I realize this and am embarrassed by how ridiculous this is. What happened was wrong. There are no excuses but I do feel like I owe it to you all to explain how we found ourselves in this situation, the lessons we’ve learned from it and, most importantly, how it will change the way we do things moving forward.

Over the past few years we’ve seen a massive spike in counterfeit products, and most of the riders have no idea these products are fake, which is extremely dangerous because the risk of failure on these untested products is extremely high. In one instance, the entire head tube and fork sheared off a counterfeit Tarmac, causing the rider who had no idea he was not on a genuine Specialized product to faceplant and destroy his shoulder. To give you an idea of how much this issue has blown up, 10 Specialized employees hunt fake products across 30 major ecommerce platforms, we’ve identified over 5,000 listings, worth $11,000,000 USD in counterfeit goods since January 1st of this year alone. This is about double what it was last year. Due to this we have recently gone after IP and trademark issues more aggressively in the interest of protecting the safety of riders and the livelihood of our dealers and their hard-working employees. See the attached picture to understand how dangerous fake goods are.

In the deal with Café Roubaix, the wheels were the red flag that got the attention of our outside attorney’s who were already sort of on red alert for anything that pops up, although Café Roubaix wasn’t in the same camp as the counterfeiters, they still got caught in the crossfire. There is so much activity with infringers that it’s overwhelming and I don’t see them all. The first I heard of it was Saturday morning and by Monday the thing went huge. But still, that was my fault, which is why I’m so embarrassed. I should have called Dan immediately.

I heard you and you can rest assured I took it to heart. I realize now that we went too far with this aggressive approach and as a result and in some cases we hurt the local bikes shops and small businesses we wanted to protect. As a result we’re going to take a much closer look at all pending and future intellectual property and trademark issues, making sure to only pursue those that present a clear and obvious danger. The letter on Epix Gear was issued before the Café Roubaix story broke and has since been pulled.

I handled this very poorly and I own full responsibility. Dan at Café Roubaix and I have become friends and he’s happy with the solution. I hope you too accept my sincere apology. Like you all, I’m passionate about cycling and want to do everything possible to grow the activity we all love.

Sincerely,

-Mike Sinyard
Founder

They sure took it to heart. Specialized is a despicable brand. Even though I think some of their products are very well thought out, this just reaffirms my loathing for this corporation/company.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I hope this makes the rounds on the cycling websites, like the cafe roubaix story did.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Don't forget the whole Epix clothing thing too.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

quite tempted to buy that as my next bike, strip it and put a giant "FCUK Specialized" on the downtube.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Rather ironically, Merida Industries make a lot of Specialized branded frames. Would be cheaper to just buy a Merida in the first place.

Specialized ... a very American brand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

How about Specialites Alizé ? They must cease and desist too?

http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/ped_ali_gb.htm

The question, for me, is about how absurd is American patent or commercial law that let a company take ownership on a common French word or names of towns.

They obviously don't belong to specialized in any way !
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC