Seasonal work - Europe

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

Thinking about taking the summer out and going over to mainland Europe. Basic idea would be to get a job that allows me to live-in and hopefully earn some spending money while allowing me to ride as much as possible. Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar, or any thoughts/ideas? Something like a hostel/holiday camp seems appropriate; however something cycling related would be a bonus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Have you tried contacting bike camps if you could work as a helper of some sort (not sure what kind of education you have).

Most jobs where you earn good money -- e.g. industrial or in catering -- are very labour intensive.

Devon

by Devon

wassertreter wrote:Have you tried contacting bike camps if you could work as a helper of some sort (not sure what kind of education you have).

Most jobs where you earn good money -- e.g. industrial or in catering -- are very labour intensive.

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering with a few years industry experience (non bike related). Have spent most of my life (prior to graduating university) in catering - waiting and bar work, and have no fear of hard graft. Have done my share of time cleaning toilets and even did a season on a farm. So literally willing to do anything.

Bike camp would be ideal. Are there any good examples as a starting point, or a list on-line of those that I could contact?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

For farm work, WWOF might be a starting point -- http://wwoofinternational.org

For catering or bike camps, once you know where you want to go, just fire up Google, I guess. "Pro" tip: Irish pubs all over the world are often keen on native english speakers, for their "cred".

Or go the more "top down" way and contact personnel leasing companies about summer assignments, in a country of interest.

micky

by micky

By what I know, bike camps these days dont have much work over here in EU.
You might need to find some other alternatives.

Devon

by Devon

Third point is a great idea wassertreter that I hadn't considered, will definitely give that a go. Always helps to have a bit of direction when approaching something like this, so thank you.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Save money, take a vacation.

I just returned from a year and 2 months living in Amsterdam. Used a site called Meet Up, joined a cycling team and am 2 days back in Chicago with a race in about 3 hours.

I'd plan it ahead of time.
carbonLORD.com

Devon

by Devon

Very valid point carbonLORD but I'll give you some context. I'm currently not tied down to a property or a job and my thinking is that now is the best time to do this as I have nothing to lose or leave behind. I never got the chance to travel before University so I feel that it would be best for me to do this before I end up with a house and a career. If I were to continue working and saving I would be looking at 1-2 years before I could do this; by which time I want to be in a half-decent job and supporting my partner through medical school.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

What about 'sports holiday' companies like Nielson/Mark Warner? I was going to spend a summer as a mountain bike guide for Nielson until something else came up(I broke my teeth/wrist/ribs in a fall during a race about a month before I was due to start). The resorts are usually in good locations for riding or other sports. And the jobs can be a specific sports instructor or just general bar/waiting staff. Pay was pretty poor but they covered all your accommodation and food costs.

Devon

by Devon

That sounds pretty spot on! Will look into those two companies, thanks!

Leviathan

by Leviathan

You can come and work for me... :wink:
Seriously, most of these seasonal jobs can be a real pta - most times the instructors jobs need real qualifications and are long gone (Ive worked for Mark Warner & Sunsail as a sailing instructor as a summer job from Uni way back when)..and the "hangers on" jobs pay even less than the norm. Frankly if I were you I would rock up in Magaluf round about August Bank Holiday after the first wave of staff have quit with exhaustion and offer my services, you can doss down with other bar staff and ride all day (its 35 degrees but youll soon adjust), and if you choose a big club they will stay open until mid Sept.

I find the big problem with tourism work is you're too busy to ride much in the nice months - I do more riding in Jan than in April, we've just had the Scottish track team staying in one of my hotels for 10 days and Ive only been able to get out riding with them once...

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Have you considered touring? If you have a bit of money saved up, enjoy camping, and you want to "ride as much as possible", there's no cheaper way to bum around Europe. Put a few thousand miles in with 30 pounds of gear and you'll be in the best cycling shape of your life. I don't know what things cost in Europe these days, but 25 years ago I spent three months riding from Athens to London on $2000, and probably half that was spent on beer and espresso. You don't want to work all day. You want to ride! :)

Devon

by Devon

Can't say touring hasn't gone through my mind, if very briefly. However I'm a racer and see racks, paniers and backpacks as the devil :twisted: After all, this is weightweenies: I ride a <7kg race bike and want to fly up mountains :D I think I'd be shot if I strapped a rack to my BMC...

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Eh eh that's exactly what I thought before trying it. Touring with paniers is just great. Can't wait to do it again.

And when you come home, you just fly on your lightweight bike :D

Devon

by Devon

I don't have the money to buy yet another bike nor am I willing to do so; so unfortunately this isn't a feasible option for me right now. Maybe some day...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com