What WeightWeenies Feel After an Accident

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Hello everyone.

I wonder something, after I had a small accident a few days ago. I was really slow on a group ride when my handlebar stuck into my friends, and I fell down.

After I checked my bike, only damage was on my handlebar and tape. There is a little scratch at the end. Rest was good. My handlebar costs only 100 dollars for new, 3T Ergonova Pro. I started to think, what if I had a super light, 400 dollar handlebar and crack it on the same accident.

Same with wheels, or frame, saddle. Whatever

So I wanted to start that topic. I hope there will be funny stories about it, or maybe tips to protect bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ekorre

by Ekorre

You should always strive to land on your body to protect the bike ;)

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Yeah, flesh and bones heal themselves, for free.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I've resigned myself to the idea that one day I will have to replace my CF bar due to a fall.

Maybe the stem or fork, too.

I would replace any of them if they were at all questionable. Any accident worse than that might get into spendy territory, but that's part of the hobby, I guess.

Fortunately, right now we've slid into a time where lightweight parts availability is at an all-time high, and prices are at an all time low. My Look handlebars that are 5 years old can now be replaced for less than 1/4 what I paid, and the replacements would be lighter than what I have.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ride (and race) what you can afford to replace.

User Name

by User Name

ToffieBoi wrote:Hello everyone.
so, your first thought after the crash was that it gave you an excuse to upgrade a component to something lighter a more blingy? Good stuff. I say your thinking is fine :thumbup:

marcelflash

by marcelflash

I broke my femur bone 2 months ago and only my STI shifter and my saddle was damaged.
While I am revalidating I am upgrading the bike with shimano 6800 group wih pedals new toupe pro saddle and jagwire pro cables.
This way I have someting to do while I Can`t ride.

davidalone

by davidalone

working in healhcare, (research), the argument of 'flesh and bones heal themselves for free' is a stupid one.

ride and race what you can afford to replace. 'healing' is never free. temporarily, yes. but it may have consequences further down the line you aren't aware of.

theremery

by theremery

Took the dog for a run the other day (me on my bike....dog on the lead)....was going swimmingly until he heads to the far side of the lamp post.....Zipp SL bars....toast. Dammit :/
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

User Name

by User Name

davidalone wrote:working in healhcare, (research), the argument of 'flesh and bones heal themselves for free' is a stupid one.

ride and race what you can afford to replace. 'healing' is never free. temporarily, yes. but it may have consequences further down the line you aren't aware of.

:mrgreen:

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Christ, it was a tongue in cheek follow up to this previous tongue in cheek post:

Ekorre wrote:You should always strive to land on your body to protect the bike ;)

When did everyone on the internet become so precious?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Zakalwe wrote:Yeah, flesh and bones heal themselves, for free.

you have a nice medical plan, my friend. My ACL cost me over $6k :wink:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Comprehensive insurance... Race and ride cover too.

eric

by eric

My last crash, now some 7 years ago, had me going face first into the pavement at 35 mph. It was downhill on a group ride and someone on the front slammed on the brakes at the same time I was looking off to the side.

My new that year bike, when we recovered it later from the fire dept, was fine except for a few small scratches on a shifter and derailleur. I'm still using the carbon bars and the components from that bike. The frame failed due to an unrelated issue some years later.

Even with insurance I ended up paying medical expenses out of pocket that cost about as much as two top end road bikes. I had a lot of dental surgery and orthodontia. I'd had preferred the bike had been completely destroyed and I'd only had road rash.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

My last crash was a few years ago -- entering a tight switchback on the down, going slowly because there was some grit on the street. Just when laying the bike over, I had a flat in the front, and the bike went down immediately. With my hands in the drops for braking, I was too slow to catch the fall, and slammed my elbow into the road. It hurt for over a week or so, but not so bad I was getting a check up. Bike had only a few scratches, and skin on the elbow grew back too. But something must have been damaged in my shoulder, it's just not the same any more. Skin and bones grow back relatively well, but ligament damage can be quite nasty, as there's no easy fix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com