HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jersey Wallet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:43 pm 

Frankie - B wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:
Which political jurisdiction requires you to carry your concealed carry license when you are not carrying a (concealed) gun?

does it matter? As a European i'm reading these things in awe, haven't the times of "the wild west" past? carrying a gun has more to do with an arms race then self protection. Please pinch my arm and remember what century we live in ;)

Suprise! I live in Texas. If you are stopped by a police officer (like a traffic stop) you must produce both forms of ID for the officer. I carry my CH license because it is in my wallet at all times. When I take my drivers license out, I take both forms of ID with me.

Also, please keep in mind that I live in deep South Texas. I frequently ride my road bike to one of the many international bridges that cross the Rio Grande. When I ride my mountain bike on trails (public parks) I have encountered materials left by smugglers, or people who entered the US illegally (clothes, water jugs, food wrappers, etc), and even on my road bikes, I pass Border Patrol all the time.

Also, to answer your post about an "arms race", I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong on that. I'm not carrying a Dirty Harry Edition .357 Magnum. When I carry, I carry a small 9mm which I have for personal protection (made by a European company, BTW), and I never "show it off". If it comes out, it's because it needs to come out, and I only point it at something I intend on shooting. Guns aren't toys, unlike the way they're portrayed on TV or in the movies. I take gun ownership very seriously, because the effects of a gun are serious.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:43 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 pm 

Please don't delude yourself that you will ever need to kill somebody during a road ride. Besides, what good is dropping 200g off your seatpost if you're carrying a 2-3 chunk of dead weight on your back?
You like guns, cool, but don't pretend that your personal choice is necessary, reasonable, or practical for most people.
If you want to debate further, pm me, or make a separate thread, otherwise, this discussion will devolve into an off topic flame war.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:04 pm 

kulivontot wrote:
Please don't delude yourself that you will ever need to kill somebody during a road ride. Besides, what good is dropping 200g off your seatpost if you're carrying a 2-3 chunk of dead weight on your back?
You like guns, cool, but don't pretend that your personal choice is necessary, reasonable, or practical for most people.
If you want to debate further, pm me, or make a separate thread, otherwise, this discussion will devolve into an off topic flame war.

Thank you for your opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:38 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
FIJIGabe wrote:
I'm not carrying a Dirty Harry Edition .357 Magnum.
Without engaging in a political debate, let me just point out that Dirty Harry carried a .44 Magnum*, not a .357 Magnum.

* the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 pm 

I think the S&W Model 500 has taken that title.....

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125962

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:20 pm 

I carry a Desert Eagle in my saddle pack, between my spare tube and my CO2 inflator.

;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 pm 

WOW!! holy shit, I cant believe you guys carry such items in ya jersey, I guess its a necessary evil for you guys but I have never even taken a second to think about it, so what ever your reason is then its such a world away from my sheltered life here in rural Lincolnshire, England.
Anyhows back onto topic.. I don't use anything to store my valuables just loose in my jersey pockets, but will probably go the Rapha way as seeing a friends in use it seems to work well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:11 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
toride wrote:
I cant believe you guys ...
So far, we know of one guy who does. I can say with certainty that not all American posters on Weight Weenies carry when they ride, or at any other time for that matter. I suspect that only a very small fraction carry when they ride, and probably not many ever carry, although this post may serve as a call to arms to post for those who do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:08 pm 

I carry my insurance card, drivers license, credit card, and my cell phone. I use a "the joy factory bubble shield" double zip lock bag. Can be found cheap if you look around. I like how I can use the camera even when in the bag. Last forever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:59 am 

I wrap a ten dollar bill around my credit card and paper clip it. My phone is so cheap I don't care if I crash on it or get it wet, and many places I ride (canyons) have no service anyway, so I don't even carry it depending on the ride. I figure the bill can be used to boot a damaged tire, and the paper clip, well, who knows when you're going to need a little poker.

I'm an American and I don't carry a gun, or even own one. I've run up on a black bear a couple times mtn biking, and been within a hundred feet or so of a mountain lion (didn't see it, but someone stopped on the trail did). In 54 years there's never been a situation where I thought, gosh, I wish I had a gun, but that's just me. I figure the teeth on my chainring makes a pretty good deterrent in close quarters with an animal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:25 pm 

kulivontot wrote:
I like timbuk2's mission cycling wallet. Very compact, waterproof

I carry a Timbuk2 wallet, as well. No idea of model name, but it is pretty light, durable, and doesn't look totally stupid off the bike.
For my phone, I have a neoprene case designed for a small camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm 

I fold my wallet over my key and put it in my jersey pocket. I'm probaby paranoid, but if I go down, I'd rather have the wallet against my skin than the key.

If I think it's going to rain, I might put the wallet inside a plastic bag, but I avoid rain like the plague and luckily live in a fairly dry climate. Plus there's little or nothing in my wallet that would get ruined by water, I just keep various plastic cards and money in it, or anything that might get ruined (like business cards), no big deal.

I keep a $20 inside my tiny saddle bag for emergency use as money or as a tire boot.

But to pick and choose stuff from my wallet to carry - I eithr carry the whole thing or forget to carry the whole thing.

I like to keep my riding set up idiot-proof - little or no fussing and planning at the beginning or end of a ride so I don't forget to take stuff with, or forget to put it back when I'm done. The only things I need to remember for a ride (other than appropriate clothing, jacket, etc.) are food and the wallet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:46 pm 

Crime is rare; and those who carry guns are rare; and the utility of a gun on a ride would be rare.
But rare doesn't mean "nonexistent"

In the USA,. we do have the right to carry, and some people do.
Here is a non-USA example of what can happen when cycling in remote places alone:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/01/ ... ide_154338

And a USA example:
http://chicagoist.com/2014/03/30/humbol ... d_by_m.php

Here's a weight weenie carry piece:
http://www.kahr.com/pistols/kahr-pm9.asp :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:22 am 

I got fed up with plastic bags. I use the nylon zip bag which British Airways hands out on short haul business class flights with socks and mini toiletries. It fits tube, mini pump, puncture kit, tyre levers, money, hand wipe comfortably and you can squeeze in keys, chain connector and so on if needed. It has lasted a couple of years so far and is pretty waterproof.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:21 am 

Has anybody found a iphone wallet that includes an additional battery with it? After switching to strava on my phone for tracking I'm finding my battery almost 100% drained on rides over 5 hours

Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:21 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next