Question on importing bike from Germany to France

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

yoshirider

by yoshirider

I want to buy a canyon frame only and send to France (they ship from Germany I think). What extra fees/taxes should I expect to pay if they ship via DHL or UPS?

The frame will then be taken on a plane to the US. I should only have to pay the normal baggage fee?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

paddydog

by paddydog

Germany to France should not have any charges to tax. I ordered an SRM last year, no problems.
To the US, I would try and re-package the frame and take it on board with you if it fits on carry on.
Otherwise, you can put the frame in luggage, but try and mark it 'fragile' so the handlers don't crush it under something.
I've transported new bike around and haven't had any issues.
Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yoshirider

by yoshirider

I'm worried about there being a hefty customs clearance bs charge that UPS charges. I paid $80 once when someone shipped a bike to me from Canada to US via UPS and it was marked wayyy below the real value of the bike too. When I looked up the import duty of bike frames into France it said 4.7%. So should I expect to have to pay that?

mattr

by mattr

anything moving within the EU will have no import taxes to pay. The 4.7% will be for non-EU imports.
You'll just pay the usual German sales tax. that's it.
When you go to the US you will likely have to pay taxes as it's an import of new personal goods.
might be with looking up personal imports on the net.

FWIW the allowance when you fly with goods is significantly higher than if you post them.
coming into the EU it's something like 480€ if you fly, 20 if someone posts stuff to you.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

No VAT between Germany and France. Shipping VIA UPS shouldn't run more than €150 insured.

Flying with your bike as check in to the US will cost €50 (Are Lingus) to €200 (KLM / United) depending on who you fly with. I live in Amsterdam and am moving back to Chicago. I didn't pay anything other than €50 for each bike to and from the States VIA Aer Lingus (which is now €80 for a bike).

And we're talking about a fully decked out S-Works Venge and a Colnago C59 so relax, its a "bike" no one asks anything beyond that.

Canada to the US, shipped, different story. US shipped to the EU, unless you sent it as a "Gift", "Warranty Exchange" or "Comercial Sample", different story. In fact if you ship between continents its a different story than actually checking your own baggage and flying with it so my advice, don't ship it, take a trip with it.
carbonLORD.com

yoshirider

by yoshirider

Thanks for the info. Canyon charges VAT when shipping to France and its quite a significant amount (over 300 euros). I'm curious if there is a way to get a refund on it since I am not a resident of the EU?

siriz75

by siriz75

I would love to hear from someone who has had success getting a Canyon shipped to Canada???!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillRPete

by HillRPete

paddydog wrote:To the US, I would try and re-package the frame and take it on board with you if it fits on carry on.

Can't see the carry-on working, unless you're on a private jet. The most generous carry-on size is 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm¹.
In fact, you'll be hard pressed to package a bike in a regular check-in suitcase, and will have to resort to bulky items checkin, which may cause extra fees, depending on the airline in question. That's why break-away bikes exist, in the first place.

¹ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_luggage

mrfish

by mrfish

No way to take a frame carry-on. Even if it were small enough the customs guys would probably say that you might use the fork as a weapon or something else equally creative and ask you to get rid of it.

If you keep receipts etc. you should be able to find a VAT refund place at the airport. After filling in various forms in triplicate and proving that you are taking goods out of EU you will be able to get back the 20% VAT paid minus some fees. Google vat refund and the airport you're travelling from for how to do it.

yoshirider

by yoshirider

After months of waiting, this frameset will finally be coming home to me. I have a few questions regarding how to protect it on the international flight.

Should we pack the original box with the frameset in a bigger box with lots of padding and peanuts?
Or
Should we bring a bike hard shell case and bring the frameset back in that?

Has anyone had their bikes stolen on flights?

GT56

by GT56

yoshirider wrote:Thanks for the info. Canyon charges VAT when shipping to France and its quite a significant amount (over 300 euros). I'm curious if there is a way to get a refund on it since I am not a resident of the EU?

when shipping to france they 'just' charge vat once , right ? and not the german vat included price + the france vat on top ?

if they ship to an address outside the eu, they do not charge VAT (goes for Switzerland)

of course, you would have to pay any taxes due when importing it to your country of residence

mattr

by mattr

Vat is only payable once in the eu. Usually in the recipients country of residence, unless it's a small retailer.
As a non resident you should be able to claim it back as you leave the eu, (think there is a desk at the airport?)
Going by the other vat/import thread on here,that'll probably trigger the us end of the deal to stop you, and get you to pay VAT plus the import duty when you get back to the us.
It's a risk you can take if you want, going through the nothing to declare channel and getting stopped is a world of pain tho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Info from Canyon site:

Shipping costs for deliveries to EU-countries are calculated using the VAT rate of the country concerned. You can determine the exact cost of shipping by going to our shipping terms page and using the shipping costs calculator.

Orders to delivery addresses in non-EU states include the German VAT in the online shopping cart. When processing invoices the amounts of the ordered goods are displayed as net prices. Customs and import duties may also be payable on deliveries abroad. These charges are to be paid by the recipient of the goods. Canyon Bicycles has no influence on these charges.

A reimbursement of the VAT added to a product can take place only if a certificate of export customer for value added tax purposes is sent within 3 months after invoice date. You keep the form free from us.