Where have all the Weenies gone?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

drainyoo

by drainyoo

nickl wrote:
drainyoo wrote:I agree.

It also begs the question why the mods aren't moving threads out of the Road forum that have nothing to do with weight. The forum is described as "Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts." Very little of that type of discussion happening in the Road forum right now.

Oh god no. I've never seen a forum where threads get moved as often as in here - it makes it so hard to keep up follow them most of the time I don't bother.

Hahah, totally agree, that's why it's so strange to me that the Road forum is full of off topic threads.

I also want to see more discussions, those more inline with weight saving.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Juanmoretime wrote:We really try to not sensor the content of the forum to much. Abusive behavior, name calling or just out all out on line arguing verses debating a subject is not tolerated well. We all also have day jobs and while we do have day jobs we feel we do a pretty good job of keeping the site going in the right direction.

Sorry about being off topic but I won't move or delete this post. :shock:

You guys do a great job and I appreciate it. I used to moderate a forum, so I know the amount of work that goes into it.

Just missing the weight specific threads.

record

by record

kgt wrote:IMHO weightweenies was a 'trend' a few years ago when carbon frames and parts started being available to many customers. Frames like Scott CR1 were not that great in terms of ride quality but were amazingly light in comparison to what most cyclists used. At the same time there were exotic, dream products, like Lightweight wheels, that few could buy. Today almost any company can manufacture a 800gr frame and Lightweight wheels are much less exclusive.

Nowadays the new industry trend is 'aero'. Aero, frames, wheels, helmets, everything.

People get bored easily. They know that neither a superlight frame nor a super aero one will make them faster. They just want to be part of the newest trend whatever this trend is. Electronic groupsets, disc brakes, power meters, whatever... What's next?

This. Best sum up of what's going on nowadays with WW.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

kgt wrote:They just want to be part of the newest trend whatever this trend is. Electronic groupsets, disc brakes, power meters, whatever.
Absolutely, I got a power meter because I though training with power would make me faster. So far all it's done is make me poorer. Before training with a power meter I thought I was pathetic, now I have proof.

Actually, the above story is apocryphal, as i have never used a power meter, but it conveys the essence of the situation.

velonista

by velonista

kgt wrote:...They just want to be part of the newest trend whatever this trend is. Electronic groupsets, disc brakes, power meters, whatever... What's next?

11 speed this. 11 speed that.

PSM

by PSM

I prefer stiffness and security...

elSid

by elSid

Don't all weenies cherish stiffness and security?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

I think lots of us are still here, but I think the forum is definitely getting "watered down" a bit with the influx of new members who seem to think a stock 7.5 kg bike is a "weightweenie" ride. Sure, some guys are here to use this as a starting point, which is great, but I honestly think posts were guys want to drop 2 kgs off their ride but want to keep their stock Aksiums may be on the wrong forum.

So I'd say, with a non-PC, sweeping generalization, that it's a combination of older members loosing interest / moving on, and fewer new "proper" weightweenies to take their place.

And no, I will not offer a definition of a "proper" weightweenie...other than to say it starts with buying a scale, weighing your bike, and then thinking "now what can I do to make this thing lighter..."

Hopefully by hanging around here long enough they will get bitten by the ant.

PSM

by PSM

elSid wrote:Don't all weenies cherish stiffness and security?

Certanly not.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

PSM wrote:
elSid wrote:Don't all weenies cherish stiffness and security?

Certanly not.

I cherish a better paying job so I can finally afford those THM M3s :)

Miller

by Miller

jekyll man wrote:Of course its great that there are still people that do the unusual and I applaud them for that (case in point the convert sram red to 11spd thread)

That is a good example in two ways: first it demonstrated amazing ingenuity and technical prowess to achieve something that didn't exist, second because Sram have since gone 11sp so it no longer needs to be done as a private project.

I have been hanging around here a few years now and I'm not convinced the old days were 'better' exactly. 5 years ago the 5kg bike probably had down-tube shifters and flyweight Tufo tubs that wouldn't last in the real world. Nowadays it's a more practical proposition altogether. What keeps me here is the sensible (mostly) and knowledgeable (mostly) discussion of bike tech. I don't find that elsewhere.

elSid

by elSid

Oh, you mean for bicycles. I get it, now.

grid256

by grid256

Well yes, the days of sanded down frames and bolt tuning has faded a bit but the technical knowledge on here is without parallel. I cherish it and hope it doesn't go away. And besides, I'm trying to get a Gaulzetti really light so I've recently been digging through some old posts - so much good stuff from 5 or six years back it's hard to digest.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I think all these aero weenies coming in and raining on our parade with irrelevant claims about what's actually "faster" in a crit has put a damper on the weight weeniedom.
Aero may be faster but lighter is ALWAYS more fun.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com