Valant cables

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

valant

by valant

As you've probably noticed already, I've changed the name of the topic. I've decided to do so, because the survey isn't the primary theme of it anymore and I didn't want to trash the forum with countless new topics that discuss same things :wink:

@deltree on your request (and my curiosity :D ) I've cut app. 95mm of each cablehousing and the results were interesting... the product came out quite a bit lighter than what I've expected...

the weight of Nokon cable housing:

brake housing:

shifter housing:

That's about 16% lighter for brake and 43% for shifter housings compared to Nokon. :unbelievable:

@bura, the moulds on their own are polished already... the surface of the product depends on material parameters such as injection pressure, material temperature, mould temperature, etc. :thumbup:

@Pugrot good to see "another one of our own"! Cheers mate :beerchug:
As mentioned above, we were fiddling with material to get things in shape :)

Today I also did the first on-bike testings. I assembled the first pre-production set on my cervelo and went for a ride with @Berk... We did some 4-5 hour ride over local climbs. It went pretty well, except for the weakest link... my legs! :oops: :twinkle:

Keep the wind at your back and the sun on your face!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That's cool! So did you pre weigh the lengths before fitting? How would it compare in total weight to other segment systems like Aican etc for the same lengths you think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

valant

by valant

dereksmalls wrote:That's cool! So did you pre weigh the lengths before fitting? How would it compare in total weight to other segment systems like Aican etc for the same lengths you think?

I didn't pre weight them, however the approximate weight can be calculated quickly...

There is about 1100mm of brake housings and about 1200mm of shifter housings on my bike... This equals 35.9g for brake and 26.5g for shifter housings... To this weight we must add the end links, which are about 8 to 10g. In total this comes just over 70grams...

To be honest, I have no clue how much do Aican/Nokon/etc housings weight however I would appreciate if someone would share this info. :beerchug:

Calculating total weight of Nokons, using the weight per 95mm measured above, the set should weight just under 90grams plus the end links... Roughly calculated, Nokon cable housings would weight around 100grams on my bike (54cm Cervelo R3)... :thumbup:

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

valant wrote:/...
Today I also did the first on-bike testings. I assembled the first pre-production set on my cervelo and went for a ride with @Berk... We did some 4-5 hour ride over local climbs. It went pretty well, except for the weakest link... my legs!

It was really a good test, there were also a lot of very technical descends, we also reached 90km/h etc.,...and he didn't had any problems, I already can't wait to try them! :thumbup:

carbon2329

by carbon2329

They look great & with a great weight. :thumbup:

I'm on board. :D

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Just stumbled on this thread, survey completed, will love to see the finished product.
BB

Coffee & carbon

pitbull

by pitbull

Any updates on the cables ?

valant

by valant

Hi guys,

I'm sorry I haven't post any updates for such a long time now. It's not that we weren't busy, it's just that there isn't much interesting to write about.

The testing is going on in all sorts of conditions, the first prototype set is still on my bike and it's holding on great. In the beginning I noticed some breaking in so I had to reset the derailleurs but other than that... Knock knock on wood!
There are some interesting coclusions regarding the wires. We're getting the best alround results using a normal rounded stainless steel wire. The thinner it is, the better it works. None of the teflon/etc. coated wires did glide trough the liner as smooth as plain stainless steel. We concluded that this has to do with the liner material itself, as it is very hard, harder than cable coatings.

I'll try and post some pictures of the development process asap!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Have you tried DLC coated cables. They use a very good hard coat Teflon that works really well. I've been using em now for over a year.. I really like them.

paradawt

by paradawt

When will be available for sale?

Thanks a lot.
Berria Belador 7

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Perhaps a silly question considering the material...

But are there any plans for alternate colors?
Or is there a way where someone can customize their color?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jordo99

by jordo99

I'm also interested and would like to know when they will be available to purchase.

mythical

by mythical

This cable housing look very promising! :thumbup:

When do you estimated for a brake/shift set to become available for purchase?
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

valant wrote:
To be honest, I have no clue how much do Aican/Nokon/etc housings weight however I would appreciate if someone would share this info. :beerchug:

I just put some different 95mm segments on the scale for you.

For comparison, here is traditional housings.
Shimano 5mm, 5.9gr
Shimano 4mm, 3.1gr
Ashima 5mm, 3.3gr.

Here are the segmented housings.
Alligator I-link, 2.5 grams.
Alligaotr I-link Mini, 1.4 grams.
Aican B-link, 1.8 grams.
Powercordz Swift, 2.5 grams.
Nokon alloy, 3.8 grams
Nokon Carbon, 2.5 grams.

valant wrote:Hi guys,

We're getting the best alround results using a normal rounded stainless steel wire. The thinner it is, the better it works. None of the teflon/etc. coated wires did glide trough the liner as smooth as plain stainless steel. We concluded that this has to do with the liner material itself, as it is very hard, harder than cable coatings.

You should take a look at the Alligator 31 strand cable. Definitely the best and slickest of all the non-coated cables available.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Last edited by madcow on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

valant

by valant

Thank you guys for showing interest in cable sets!

@sugarkane, I haven't tried with DLC (i.e. diamond like coating) yet, I definitely should. But if I'm honest there is no need in improving the smoothness, now that we've found the propper size of cables. Teflon liner does wonders, it really gives better results than expected!

@prendrefeu not a silly question at all! There is a plan to offer cable housings in different colors. Picking a new color is just a question of changing the resin color. The results of survey from the beginning of this thread showed, that most people prefer black, second most wanted is white, followed by red, grey(gunmetal), yellow...

Regarding the availability for purchase... I wish I could tell you a fixed date, but unfurtenately I can't... the development process takes it's time and we don't want to put an unfinished product on market.
I'm planning to send out first few sets in about a week time however, these are pre-production sets, so I get some feedback for users. There will be only limited number of them aswell.

@madcow, you're the man! :beerchug:
Thanks for those numbers! Damn, those I-link mini's are featherweight!
Did you mean Alligator 31 strand wire, or does Ashima also produce one that has 31 strands?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com