Strava and Commuting

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

Does anyone Strava their commute? What are your opinions on doing this? Should Strava be reserved for proper training?

And if so, do you create a seperate ride in each direction, or leave the Garmin paused all day?

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Devon wrote:Does anyone Strava their commute?

Me.
Devon wrote:What are your opinions on doing this? Should Strava be reserved for proper training?

Nice to keep track of everything. Commuting = training for me, I use my race bike.
Devon wrote:And if so, do you create a seperate ride in each direction, or leave the Garmin paused all day?

I try to leave it paused for much of the week. Otherwise I end up with x times 22km rides (22km = one way for me).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Pretty much the same as me then, except my commute is shorter at around 8km each way. I like to strava is for the same reason as you - to keep track of mielage, however 10 8km rides clutter up my profile somewhat.

dgran

by dgran

Devon wrote:Does anyone Strava their commute? What are your opinions on doing this? Should Strava be reserved for proper training?

And if so, do you create a seperate ride in each direction, or leave the Garmin paused all day?

I do, but I mark them as a private as well as marking it as a commute. They don't feel like a "real" rides to me, but I can see them being the bulk of some people's training or they work in longer routes into their commute.

rmerka

by rmerka

I log mine in Strava, but at ~52 km and 1100m round trip and carrying a backpack they feel more like a training ride to me as I don't generally take it easy.

Devon

by Devon

I agree, it's definately to do with distance. I used to do just shy of 30km each way. My current 8.2km each way is definately not a 'proper' ride; I never get beyond the warm up stage and I physically don't feel comfortable with a backpack so in return don't ride properly.

I like the logging it as private idea. That way i still get the total mielage I do it for, without it clogging up my profile and/or people's news feeds. :thumbup:

Rick

by Rick

I log my commutes, which are 15 to 50 miles depending upon whether I take the scenic route.
But I really don't care how they are interpreted. My friends and I just like to see when and where we are riding.
I am still sort of amazed when I unwittingly get a "PR" on segments that I have ridden for years. :lol:

jmilliron

by jmilliron

I do one activity for both to and from work. Stop/pause and power off the Garmin when I get there. Fire it back up and resume when I'm ready to leave.

From today:
http://app.strava.com/activities/114601316
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Devon

by Devon

I upgraded to an Edge 500 just before Christmas and I always forget you can turn it off during an activity (my 200 had a headfit if you did that!) Definately think that's the way forward for a tidier profile. Thanks for the shared example.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

My Commuting makes up most of my proper training, approx 31 Miles a day, generally at as fast a speed as I can manage through London Traffic. I save each session on Strava along with the rest of my weekend activity. Riding is Riding, whatever the underlying purpose of it.

Devon

by Devon

stevec1975 wrote:My Commuting makes up most of my proper training, approx 31 Miles a day, generally at as fast a speed as I can manage through London Traffic. I save each session on Strava along with the rest of my weekend activity. Riding is Riding, whatever the underlying purpose of it.

I disagree with that. When riding in traffic with a backpack you're not training in the correct way and I certainly don't commute with heart rate and what not, it's just a case of fighting through the traffic and getting to work on time.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Well, it's good to disagree, the way I see it, I generally average > 18 mph on my commutes (15.5 Miles each way), with a HR in the 140-150 range, so it has a training load, can't see how a backpack makes any difference to training 'the correct way', what is the correct way for my info? I know several current and former 1st Cat's who do the same thing and it doesn't seem to hinder them.

Devon

by Devon

Depends on the terrain and distance. My commute is an 8km hilly ride so you never get properly warmed up. The backpack prevents proper position on the bike I find and the discomfort stops me riding in a way that I normally would.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Devon wrote:Does anyone Strava their commute? What are your opinions on doing this?

In your case, it's simply one less avilable reason for you to be able to give your work when you take another sick day to go riding...

So maybe keep it to training.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

MarkTwain wrote:In your case, it's simply one less avilable reason for you to be able to give your work when you take another sick day to go riding...

So maybe keep it to training.

:thumbup: