HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 448
Location: SW England
Does anyone Strava their commute? What are your opinions on doing this? Should Strava be reserved for proper training?

And if so, do you create a seperate ride in each direction, or leave the Garmin paused all day?

_________________
BMC SLR02
"Campagnolo; because I ride a bicycle, not a fishing rod"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Strava and Commuting
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:35 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:32 pm
Posts: 687
Location: belgium
Devon wrote:
Does anyone Strava their commute?

Me.
Devon wrote:
What are your opinions on doing this? Should Strava be reserved for proper training?

Nice to keep track of everything. Commuting = training for me, I use my race bike.
Devon wrote:
And if so, do you create a seperate ride in each direction, or leave the Garmin paused all day?

I try to leave it paused for much of the week. Otherwise I end up with x times 22km rides (22km = one way for me).

_________________
Bianchi EV3, Master Olympic, Pinarello Asolo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 448
Location: SW England
Pretty much the same as me then, except my commute is shorter at around 8km each way. I like to strava is for the same reason as you - to keep track of mielage, however 10 8km rides clutter up my profile somewhat.

_________________
BMC SLR02
"Campagnolo; because I ride a bicycle, not a fishing rod"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 pm
Posts: 62
Devon wrote:
Does anyone Strava their commute? What are your opinions on doing this? Should Strava be reserved for proper training?

And if so, do you create a seperate ride in each direction, or leave the Garmin paused all day?


I do, but I mark them as a private as well as marking it as a commute. They don't feel like a "real" rides to me, but I can see them being the bulk of some people's training or they work in longer routes into their commute.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 pm
Posts: 367
Location: Austin, TX
I log mine in Strava, but at ~52 km and 1100m round trip and carrying a backpack they feel more like a training ride to me as I don't generally take it easy.

_________________
My Cervelo R5
My Cervelo S3
My MTB


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 448
Location: SW England
I agree, it's definately to do with distance. I used to do just shy of 30km each way. My current 8.2km each way is definately not a 'proper' ride; I never get beyond the warm up stage and I physically don't feel comfortable with a backpack so in return don't ride properly.

I like the logging it as private idea. That way i still get the total mielage I do it for, without it clogging up my profile and/or people's news feeds. :thumbup:

_________________
BMC SLR02
"Campagnolo; because I ride a bicycle, not a fishing rod"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm
Posts: 1568
I log my commutes, which are 15 to 50 miles depending upon whether I take the scenic route.
But I really don't care how they are interpreted. My friends and I just like to see when and where we are riding.
I am still sort of amazed when I unwittingly get a "PR" on segments that I have ridden for years. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 pm
Posts: 2013
Location: San Francisco Peninsula
I do one activity for both to and from work. Stop/pause and power off the Garmin when I get there. Fire it back up and resume when I'm ready to leave.

From today:
http://app.strava.com/activities/114601316

_________________
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 448
Location: SW England
I upgraded to an Edge 500 just before Christmas and I always forget you can turn it off during an activity (my 200 had a headfit if you did that!) Definately think that's the way forward for a tidier profile. Thanks for the shared example.

_________________
BMC SLR02
"Campagnolo; because I ride a bicycle, not a fishing rod"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:37 pm
Posts: 101
My Commuting makes up most of my proper training, approx 31 Miles a day, generally at as fast a speed as I can manage through London Traffic. I save each session on Strava along with the rest of my weekend activity. Riding is Riding, whatever the underlying purpose of it.

_________________
Scott CR1 - 12.84Ib


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 448
Location: SW England
stevec1975 wrote:
My Commuting makes up most of my proper training, approx 31 Miles a day, generally at as fast a speed as I can manage through London Traffic. I save each session on Strava along with the rest of my weekend activity. Riding is Riding, whatever the underlying purpose of it.


I disagree with that. When riding in traffic with a backpack you're not training in the correct way and I certainly don't commute with heart rate and what not, it's just a case of fighting through the traffic and getting to work on time.

_________________
BMC SLR02
"Campagnolo; because I ride a bicycle, not a fishing rod"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:37 pm
Posts: 101
Well, it's good to disagree, the way I see it, I generally average > 18 mph on my commutes (15.5 Miles each way), with a HR in the 140-150 range, so it has a training load, can't see how a backpack makes any difference to training 'the correct way', what is the correct way for my info? I know several current and former 1st Cat's who do the same thing and it doesn't seem to hinder them.

_________________
Scott CR1 - 12.84Ib


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 448
Location: SW England
Depends on the terrain and distance. My commute is an 8km hilly ride so you never get properly warmed up. The backpack prevents proper position on the bike I find and the discomfort stops me riding in a way that I normally would.

_________________
BMC SLR02
"Campagnolo; because I ride a bicycle, not a fishing rod"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 pm
Posts: 85
Devon wrote:
Does anyone Strava their commute? What are your opinions on doing this?

In your case, it's simply one less avilable reason for you to be able to give your work when you take another sick day to go riding...

So maybe keep it to training.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:08 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Strava and Commuting
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Posts: 448
Location: SW England
MarkTwain wrote:
In your case, it's simply one less avilable reason for you to be able to give your work when you take another sick day to go riding...

So maybe keep it to training.


:thumbup:

_________________
BMC SLR02
"Campagnolo; because I ride a bicycle, not a fishing rod"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Punted Strava.

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3 ]

in Cycle Chat

Juanmoretime

36

2691

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:05 pm

carbonLORD View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Using Lightweights for commuting.

[ Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4 ]

in Road

durianrider

54

7115

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:24 am

mattr View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Anyone using Widows Phone for Strava?

in Training

Devon

9

359

Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:43 am

kulivontot View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Magellan Echo with Strava

in Cycle Chat

drainyoo

3

322

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 pm

drainyoo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Strava new feature suggestion - need your support too!

in Cycle Chat

ave

3

553

Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:07 pm

kramnnim View the latest post


It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB