Need advice about Rapha Merino Arm Warmers

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I am struggling which size to pick. If I measure my armlenght and biceps I probably need size M, but maybe too firm on the biceps. Can somebody tell me if the armwarmers are firm and/or elastic. I am between sizes, so which size to choose.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Always take the smaller size when buying non-race Rapha. Stuff comes up in the big side - I'm 182cm, 68kg and yet need a small jersey from them. I've not tried these arm warmers but the 97% merino 3% Lycra sounds very similar to their neck warmer which is very stretchy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gwilliams

by gwilliams

the Rapha merino arm warmers are made from a stretchy fabric

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I always get a size larger with Rapha… I guess I'm more US sized then euro.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kaaos

by kaaos

just follow the sizing instructions for that particular product on their website. They are spot on.

And even if you make a mistake you can always exchange for correct size for free.

Not sure if this would be of any help to you... I am 183cm tall, 72kg with really skinny arms and I wear Small Rapha Merino Arm Warmers.

uraqt

by uraqt

@ $60.00 USD I am sure that they are nice, however with seams there will be issues with them staying up ( maybe not right away)

I started using Defeet Arm Warmers made like a sock so there is no seam they last years : ) Defeet looks like they are out of stock

http://www.amazon.com/Defeet-ARMBK-DeFe ... B0010WUFN4

From the pixs I am sure the wool in the Rapha are nicer, however the Defeet ones are all I need down to freezing : )

C

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks guys...I will order Rapha Merino armwarmers size M.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Why would seams cause arm warmers not to stay up?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

uraqt wrote:@ $60.00 USD I am sure that they are nice, however with seams there will be issues with them staying up ( maybe not right away)

I started using Defeet Arm Warmers made like a sock so there is no seam they last years : ) Defeet looks like they are out of stock

http://www.amazon.com/Defeet-ARMBK-DeFe ... B0010WUFN4

From the pixs I am sure the wool in the Rapha are nicer, however the Defeet ones are all I need down to freezing : )

C

Actually mate they are pretty awesome! Mine are about to enter their 3rd season and they don't fall down, ever must be the rubber gripper bands hey... Much better than synthetic warmers because they allow you to moderate temperature better wih out sweltering. Nice if you leave home and it's cold and then get caught in the sun..

I really rate em I think arm length is key. Use the fitting chart and you'll be fine.

uraqt

by uraqt

@ Zakalwe, it's not really the seam it's how the fabric gets stretched. My experience the arm and leg warmers that are made like socks with no seams have better compression the whole length of the arm or leg. Were as the seamed one always have gaps and didn't stretch back... I will admit that I haven't used any of the "newer seam ones".

Kinda like a chinese finger trap vs as shirt sleeve

@ sugarcane The defeet makes both wool and synthetic and I was going to say my pair are older than Rapha been in business but that isn't fair and I can't remember when I bought them but it's close to 8 to 10 years would be my guess. My synthetic ones lasted 12 years before I had to replace them.

I live in NorCal so I use then 2/3 of the year riding a little when the sun isn't up and in the winter when it's "cold" : )

C

PS The guys I ride with started using swiftwick ones but they only make synthetic and you need the wool when it get close to freezing.

https://www.swiftwick.com/subcategory_51.htm

limba

by limba

I have the regular Rapha warmers. They don't fall down. I'm sure the new Merino ones are awesome.

asv

by asv

I've had the regular Rapha arm warmers for 3 years with no issues. I've never had them fall down on me.

djm

by djm

I've quit using my other arm warmers after geting the Raphas. They are warm in chilly weather and cool in periodically warmer conditions. No problems wearing them, they stay where I put them. No idea which size I got.. Might be L. 36" shirtsleeve and really skinny arms :-)

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Prob best kit rapha makes along with the knee warmers too. I wear medium in both but am usually large in other brands. I've beat mine to heck and they're not pilling or anything.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

The benefit a seam gives you is the ability to shape the warmer to fit the arm evenly - a bit bigger where the bicep is and a bit narrower at the forearm. Knitting something in the round means you have an even tube and, theoretically, you'll either have a baggy forearm or an over stretched bicep. In reality it's not an issue for most of course, but a seam is equally problem free. It won't stretch there, no, but it doesn't need to either, provided there's enough tension in the rest of the fabric.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com