Indoor Trainer Tires (2014)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I just killed another tire on my indoor trainer last night. A few years ago I tried one of those continental tires specifically for indoor trainers and that one died faster than the cheap road tire I was using (which lasted over 2 winters).

There now seem to be many more - schwalbe, vittoria, cycleops, etc.

Anyone have any experience with them (good or bad)?

For reference, I'm using a computrainer so it's a rear wheel mount (not rollers).
Speedplay is the devil!

jo.k

by jo.k

I have used the orange Continental (good), red Vittoria (OK) and currently blue Tacx (good). Neither of these have showed any indication of use what so ever even after 100+ hours of tedious indoor riding. How did you end up killing yours?

I'll say that the blue Tacx seemed to go on my tubeless ready rims ever so slightly easier than the two others mentioned, FWIW.

Last winter I used a GP4000S that had seen moderate use on an Elite trainer, and it held up fine and didn't show any sign of abuse. I currently use a cheap Tacx Satori, which has a tendency of being a bit noisy, so I went through the extra hassle of putting on a trainer specific tyre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

4 years on a conti turbo tyre, and its still going strong.
Good job really, as its an absolute barsteward to get on and off!

Heard of quite a few people having short life span out of the conti's though.
Lot of people on TTF seem to like Bontrager hardcases for turbo use.
Official cafe stop tester

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Outer tread heated up and separated. I had heard w/ conti it depended on the batch you got yours from.
Speedplay is the devil!

euan

by euan

I'm onto my third year turbo training on a Conti turbo tyre

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm wondering if I had one from a bad batch or if it's the type of riding I do. I'm on the computrainer for at least an hour a session, usually 3-4 times a week and one of those sessions tends to go for 2-3 hours each week.
Speedplay is the devil!

wingguy

by wingguy

With seemingly every trainer tyre having some people swear they're indestructible and other people claiming they're made of cheese I wonder if lifespan isn't affected far more by tyre pressures and how tight you clamp the roller against the tread than what tyre it is?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I use a standard road going Schwalbe slick racing tyre. 3 years and counting...
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

spud

by spud

4 years plus on an orange Conti trainer tire. All manner of abuse including 100s of full out sprints. I also reeeaaallly tighten down the roller on the tire. I've also worn a "groove" in the Fluid 2 roller.

skiezo

by skiezo

I have been using some cheap forte tires that I picked up for a couple bucks apiece a few years ago on a sportcrafter roller. Average around 100 hrs. per years and can get 1.5 years out a tire.
I am not sure how they would hold up on your trainer tho.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I replaced my last tire with a cheap performance 700x28 tire (same as the last one I killed). The last one lasted about 2 winters, which isn't that bad, so I'm going to use this one for now and try to figure out what to use next.
Speedplay is the devil!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

continental gatorskin here, it was darn near brand new 3 winters ago. Dunno how many hours, but it's been a great tire. Nothing tricky. I do 1.75 turns for my resistance on kurt kinetic road machine. Very silent when my drivetrain is in tip top. Then my chain is stretching or something, the tire will squeak on the trainer. The tire has never seen pavement, even in getting a bike to my trainer for a race.

edit: i'd estimate probably 120 hours in 3 years.

djm

by djm

Running a GP4000s 23mm. No issues, but I don't do my intervals on the trainer and only do recovery rides.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

What about on Kreitler Alloy Rollers? Thinking forward to next winter when I'm in Chicago again.
carbonLORD.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Inside Ride E-Motion rollers cost more than Kreitler rollers, but for me, they are much less unpleasant to ride than Kreitlers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com