Indoor Trainer Tires (2014)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

HammerTime2 wrote:Inside Ride E-Motion rollers cost more than Kreitler rollers, but for me, they are much less unpleasant to ride than Kreitlers.

Stick to topic please. Start your own thread about your preferred indoor trainer.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

I changed this winter from a worn out black Conti hometrainer (think they only come in black nowadays)
to Schwalbe Insider since it was a bit heavier.

The Schwalbe works just fine, runs quiet to.

I cant fit it in my frame but the Conti 32mm hometrainer2 would be interesting to try, listed at 360g.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

dbordewisch

by dbordewisch

wingguy wrote:With seemingly every trainer tyre having some people swear they're indestructible and other people claiming they're made of cheese I wonder if lifespan isn't affected far more by tyre pressures and how tight you clamp the roller against the tread than what tyre it is?

We have indoor trainer rides at the shop. Some use trainer tires, however most just use an old road tire. Michelin Pro 4 700x25c from 2013 for me. They all seem to wear the same. I agree with your post, something tire pressure or how tight the clamp is what really effects tire life. Ask your shop to save some left over take off tires. You can probably pick up some used high end tires for cheap. Think of it as recycling.

centhar

by centhar

I just retired a Vittoria trainer tire with 700hrs. Before that, I had a Tacx with 625hrs. I ran them at 130psi with 3 turns on the roller on a KK (grey model). These tires can far outlast a regular tire. I'm really grateful to not have to deal with blowouts and tread separation ever messing up a training session again.

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

If you ride in a garage or similar a normal tire that are louder and often shred small black rubber pieces might be ok.
But in an apartment the lower noise and cleanliness of a training tire is convenient.
Add the reduced slippage at lower pressure (from the roller) and plain smother running and I choose a
training tire every time.

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

Just a heads up, Elite trainer with rubber surface are not the best rollers for Schwalbes trainer tire as I understand it.
I saw a picture that looked like he spray painted (with blue color) floor and wall behind the bike.
I use a Tacx trainer with steel surface and have no such problem.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Are people really putting this much thought into it?

Aside from noise-levels (which are a big deal for some users), why not just use whatever worn-out tire you have lying around? Doesn't everyone have the pile of "tires-you-took-off-a-bike-because-they're-worn,-but-you-can't-quite-bring-yourself-to-throw-them-out"?

I have such a pile, thinking I'll use the last of their life on a trainer/roller. Turns out, I will never get that job done, with only 100 hours a year indoors.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

BikeAnon wrote:Are people really putting this much thought into it?

Aside from noise-levels (which are a big deal for some users), why not just use whatever worn-out tire you have lying around? Doesn't everyone have the pile of "tires-you-took-off-a-bike-because-they're-worn,-but-you-can't-quite-bring-yourself-to-throw-them-out"?

I have such a pile, thinking I'll use the last of their life on a trainer/roller. Turns out, I will never get that job done, with only 100 hours a year indoors.

They tend to leave a lot of black, burnt, meted tire residue on the roller/drum. Thats why. Trainer tires have a higher melting point.
carbonLORD.com

makoti

by makoti

Been using the red vittoria for the last few, frozen months. Seems to be holding up well.