Punted Strava.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Well done that man.

I personally loathe Strava, pseudo-virtual-competition is not competition.

There is an element of schadenfreude when I see a pro who, on a casual training ride, blitzes everyone's KOM and the resulting whining that flows from there.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

deltree

by deltree

Plenty of people can use Strava for personal training. Route making, heatmaps, Sufferfests, Powercurves etc etc etc. Just rise above those fighting it out on virtual leaderboards for virtual kudos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

g_doraz

by g_doraz

deltree wrote:Plenty of people can use Strava for personal training. Route making, heatmaps, Sufferfests, Powercurves etc etc etc. Just rise above those fighting it out on virtual leaderboards for virtual kudos.

+1. Treat it as "Facebook for cyclists" and you'll love it. I've got Strava for fun and trainingpeaks for hard work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

All pretty relative to how petty the local crew can get about it...

Dalai

by Dalai

Personally don't get it or use Strava regularly either...

I have only posted my climbs ridden OS bar a couple local ones which I've just kept private so I could just see the ride stats.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I like it, but only because it does SOME things better then Training Peaks; that said it is really designed to be social media for cyclists. For me it's a tracking tool, and seeing what your buddies are upto... KOM's well I've got one, and a very close 2nd!

jmilliron

by jmilliron

g_doraz wrote:+1. Treat it as "Facebook for cyclists" and you'll love it. I've got Strava for fun and trainingpeaks for hard work.

Yeah, that's what I use Strava for. To keep up with what my friends are doing and get ideas for new rides. And maybe some basic metric tracking.

I don't care about KOMs or leaderboard positions because all the legit benchmark segments have thousands of people on them. It's a deep pool around here.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Agreed. I keep up with what my cycling buddies are up to, and I also find it a useful training tool for myself and my power meter. One day I'll make the effort to get my head around trainingpeaks but for now I'm finding Strava a useful and powerful tool.

It's not difficult to just ignore the whole segment cock-fighting. I think instead of believing that's what Strava is all about and deleting your account, you should focus on what other things Strava offers - I like commenting and encouraging some of my mates' rides, especially if they're going to be helping me out in some races this season!

Devon

by Devon

I use it as an alternative for the terrible Garmin website for data as it displays it well and allows for good analysis and logging distance. The leaderboards are just a bonus.

The main thing people often forget with strava is a KOM is a climb. Ignore any segment that isn't a climb over x hundred metres and you'll do okay.

aerozy

by aerozy

I personally love Strava! I dont get all heated and competitive about it. I do find it useful to track form. I have powermeters on all my bikes and use WKO+ but for those who dont its the next best thing. Imagine in tens years time you'll be able to see where you were riding and compare to your current form. I love that aspect!

If you cant handle being 2000th on some random segment then maybe its not for you. I only look at rankings on main hill climbs. No way to cheat on them! Sometimes reality isnt easy to face. Make your own personal goals on important segments and leave all the others to the Freds
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Curiously, I find its enjoyment is an inverse function of how competitive the cyclists are in ones normal rides. Round here, as Ive moaned on this site many time before, the top 100 KOMs are almost inevitably taken up with ex pros or pros on training rides. Once that part of its out the way I find it really fun to ride and compare my riding schedule and to beat my own PBs.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

right, but now youre touching on the whole "enjoyment versus communication" quasi-existentialist modern dilemma. We go on Safari every year and it never ceases to amaze me how many people are so obsessed with filming, photographing and syndicating to their social media "friends", seeing nothing. Whilst Im aware the very fact of posting makes me a hypocrite, but my excuse is I spend many hours sat in front of a desk for my own business waiting for something to happen. If it wasn't Id be riding, not posting. possibly!

Devon

by Devon

The way I see it is social networking is great, but wasn't everything a lot more friendly before it. Once you're sucked in it's hard to escape. Good on you for staying human.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Leviathan wrote:We go on Safari every year and it never ceases to amaze me how many people are so obsessed with filming, photographing and syndicating to their social media "friends", seeing nothing.

Same at bike races. In the moments of no tunnel vision in races like the nationals road race, you do notice people who, every lap, have their iPad in front of their face as you come past.

Pondering it now, it's stunning*.

*at the time there's no chance to make any in-depth analysis. Tunnel vision has normally resumed.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

It's great for longitudinal data. I look at segments when I started riding bikes 3 years ago and see that my heart rate is down and time is up! That's a good comparison. People who take strava seriously are serious

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com