HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 am 

Go with a Colnago c-59. It's relatively light, comfortable , compliant and can be made to climb and go fast. Most importantly it's not jarring or overly stiff.

Trek 5200
Shimano Ultegra 6500
Mavic krysium Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm 

..I would consider a C59 or a De Rosa...and no need to pay ridiculous US prices, you could buy direct from Europe
Comfortable enough, a few spacers and you are off....Or maybe a Parlee?
As for Specialized I dig the SL4, but the Roubaix with its plastic, ahem "Zertz", inserts, silly seatpost and far too much marketing hype...not so much :)
Good luck!

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 pm 

My dad has a BMC GF01 and it's a pretty nice bike.
It handles pretty well in my opinion, plus it's pretty comfortable with 28s on it (Hutchinson Secteur).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:44 pm 

I don't want to sound like a broke record, but my experience is with Trek, and I can't speak highly enough about the Domane. My wife has a 6 series and loves it. It is comfortable for longer rides, has a relaxed riding position (Trek's H3 fit), and has provisions for fender mounts both front and rear, so if you do ride in inclement weather, you can always put your fenders on (they're about $45 from Trek, so you can keep a set at home and some at the office, if you do ever ride there). Her bike is a 50cm frame with Ultegra 6700. With pedals, cages and her Garmin, it came in at 16.5lbs. She isn't a weight weenie, so I haven't done anything to lower the weight on her bike.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:46 am 

I really like this:

http://www.hampsten.com/bikes/max

Haven't ridden it though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:36 am 

Miller76 wrote:
A good balance of comments. Legs 11 makes some good points, and maybe I am just looking for a change, and a new frame could be what I'm looking for.

@btompkins, which custom steel builder would you recommend/suggest? I've looked at Gaulzetti Cazzo, Form Revel, Stoemper.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Miller,

From what I can recall from reading thru Velocipedesalon forum, the Gaulzettis are made with aggresive geometry (short heat tube). By the look of their stock geo, I can say that those geometries might not have the handling and comfort you're looking at. But I must say Craig Gaulzetti makes a reallu beautiful bike tho..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:44 am 

I love the Hampsten frames, and I looked at them a while ago. My concern is the lack of BB30. I am a huge fan of my Hollowgram cranks and would really like to carry these, and possibly the newer version to the new frame that I end up with. I'm more inclined to go with something steel and hand-built.
I like the Gaulzetti Cazzo a lot, and the BB30 option is only an extra $100. A Factory Lightweight from IF is around the same price. The steel Condor is the cheapest option, I really like the team color (black with a touch of pink) I've started to investigate more custom steel builders and it's not going to be an easy decision. Until then I will try to get a 25mm offset seat post on the Rivet and put in some extra miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:12 pm 

1) Decide how much you want to spend
2) Decide whether you want the latest technology or something more classical
3) Narrow down based on fit
4) If you have a tendency to break things, choose one with a long warranty
5) Buy one with the nicest paint

If it fits properly then the tyre size and frame material don't make so much difference. If you like the look of the bike you will be happy, ride it more and that is the main thing.

I like Parlees, Colnagos, Pinarellos, 1980s steel with highly polished campagnolo (showing my age), Klein MTBs and anything from Rob English's workshop.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:41 am 

Hey mrfish - I've decided I can possible spend up to $4,000 on the frame. At this point I am dreaming of something more classical. I think I've got a hankering to move away from carbon - If the weather holds this weekend I am riding a friends super mint Colnago Master. Given my budget I am seriously considering a Speedvagen but given I flipflop more than a hipster riding a fixie this could be a long process... (I also like the SSR (Stainless Steel Road) from IF)

To put this all in context, almost all of my bikes, groupsets and wheels have been purchased second hand, and now I am at a stage where I can truly afford to treat myself to something I have always lusted after.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm 

I think a custom titanium or stainless steel frame may be the way to go. With it being custom, the fit should be good (hopefully) but then I would make sure the frame/fork have room to handle larger tires for added comfort. To me, tires make the biggest difference. I have ridden the same steel frame with 23mm tires and 28mm tires, and the difference between the two are night and day in terms of comfort.

For $4K budget for a frame, you have many many options if you are in the US. Depending on where you are located, it might be best to find a couple reputable local builders and talk to them to see what they can come up with for you.

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 am 

Can anyone recommend custom frame builders in and around the NJ/NY area? Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 am 

Image this is gorgeous....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:42 am 

Miller76 wrote:
Can anyone recommend custom frame builders in and around the NJ/NY area? Thanks

Yes, Mike Zanconato :) He does pretty much steel only, but I think he is tooling up to start building titanium frames. Here is mine right after I first got it, I have been very happy with it:

There is also the legendary Tom Kellogg and Spectrum Cycles in PA, so not too far away. His fitting skills and titanium frames are very highly regarded.

Speedvagen are nice too :)

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:52 am 

fa63, nice bike. But would have looked better with 15mm of spacers.

Something others looking to go custom with a large head tube should take note of.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:17 am 

Thanks. I actually prefer the long head tube with no spacers look but of course tastes differ.

My Photoblog

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:17 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next