What type of chainlube do you use?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

What type of chainlube do you normally use?

Wax based
22%
Parrafin drip
4%
Thin oil
49%
Thick oil
10%
Oil with solvent
14%

Total votes: 90

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

dmp wrote:
willieboy wrote:me too- great stuff. But I am not sure which category it fits into for Frankie's survey. I always thought of it as kind of thin, but it leaves a plastic residue.

If that is the case, it is most possibly solvent based.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sstefanov

by sstefanov

ProLink Extreme here. Just wiping down the chain and applying to every roller. Chain is clean and quiet.

euan

by euan

A mix between Morgan Blue Syn Lube and Extra Dry Lube depend on bike. I've used Demonde Tech Lite and Chain L in the past too and I think the Syn Lube is probably the best I've used for what I end up riding

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Squirt Lube on all bikes.

dukezpol

by dukezpol

hey. How does Rohloff compare to all above? Have been using sinceyears but maybe it's time for change?

What i like - reall long lasting
What I do not like - real dust catcher (whole drivetrain becomes black fast)

So what's best chain lube to dusty/sandy conditions?

jjmstang

by jjmstang

I use this :
http://ballersride.com/shop/nixfrixshun-chainlube-nfs

Lasts any where up to 600 miles before a relube is needed and then it's just a few drops
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Currently using Finish Line (red one). I have tried several other common ones and a few uncommon ones, but for my location it has served the purpose best. I do run a rag and re-lube almost every other ride if not every 3rd ride. There is a lot of fine sand everywhere I ride, and it rains off and on frequently. This fine sand gets into everything in no time. I could clean the chain or put a new one, go for a 40 mile ride, and fine sand in every single place I look.

I may try the Dumond as I have not tried that before.

AGW

by AGW

I also use Dumonde Tech Lite (based on recommendations from other threads here. It's dry here 99% of the time, and doesn't gum up like lightning or other wax-based lubes seem to have when they pick up dust and road grit. On the other hand, it doesn't keep my chain and cassette sparkly clean like I was hoping. It is easiest to clean off, however.

glepore

by glepore

50/50 Mobil 1 and OMS. Using it for years with excellent results.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Liquid Wrench chain lube formula. Doubt it's much different than regular LW. Hardware store item with no shipping costs.

2200+ miles this summer on a chain.. shows minimal wear if any. Applied post ride. Kroil would do same I believe.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

dukezpol wrote:hey. How does Rohloff compare to all above? Have been using sinceyears but maybe it's time for change?

What i like - reall long lasting
What I do not like - real dust catcher (whole drivetrain becomes black fast)

So what's best chain lube to dusty/sandy conditions?

I live in a desert. I have had great luck with Finish Line DRY Lube with Teflon (red bottle).

Initial:
My process is to clean the chain (I use park's chainbrite cleaner and their tool).
Apply lube to each link.
Workin the lube in by pedalling backwards for a couple of minutes.
Use a towel to clean up the excess.

Follow up maintenance:
Wipe down chain after each ride.
Apply lube every 200-300 miles (maybe more frequent with moisture).
Apply lube to each link.
Workin the lube in by pedalling backwards for a couple of minutes.
Use a towel to clean up the excess.

djm

by djm

Morgan Blue Extra Dry

Before each ride, wipe off old lube and dirt with a baby wipe, apply lube to inside of chain while rotating cranks backwards. Spin some more, wipe off with either dry paper towel or another baby wipe. Time consumption 10-30 secs.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

sstefanov wrote:ProLink Extreme here. Just wiping down the chain and applying to every roller. Chain is clean and quiet.
Have you also used ProGold Prolink? Other than costing more, how does ProGold Xtreme compare to ProGold Prolink? Does ProGold Xtreme keep the drivetrain as clean as ProGold ProLink does? Does it clean the chain as effectively when it is applied as part of a relubing?

http://bikes.progoldmfr.com/products/?product=xtreme wrote:Xtreme
Any Weather, Any Terrain

Combining metal friction reducer technology with more persistent carriers. Xtreme is a chain lube formula for long-distance and extreme off-road conditions. MFR bonds to metal surfaces and resists build-up and tackiness, in addition to shedding water.

http://bikes.progoldmfr.com/products/?product=prolink wrote:Prolink Chain Lube
Original Formula

A thin-bodied lubricant which utilizes metal friction reducer technology for smooth shifting and a quiet drive train. Does not build up or become tacky; sheds dirt, mud, and abrasives. Also repels moisture and prevents corrosion.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

HammerTime2 wrote:
sstefanov wrote:ProLink Extreme here. Just wiping down the chain and applying to every roller. Chain is clean and quiet.
Have you also used ProGold Prolink? Other than costing more, how does ProGold Xtreme compare to ProGold Prolink? Does ProGold Xtreme keep the drivetrain as clean as ProGold ProLink does? Does it clean the chain as effectively when it is applied as part of a relubing?

Velonews found that ProGold doesn't do a good job cleaning the chain. It was most efficient when all the lube was cleaned out and replaced with fresh lube.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/04/ ... old_282854

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sstefanov

by sstefanov

HammerTime2 wrote:

I have used the ProGold ProLink for may be 4-5 years before switching to Progold Xtreme. It is basically the same lube, but a bit thicker. It lasts longer in the wet/mud and the chain stays as clean as the ProLink. Quite happy with it to be honest, I do not see a reason to use ProLink again, but bear in mind that I only ride a mountain bike.

Stefan