HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:10 pm 

I've had a 2015 SWorks Allez built up as my second / winter bike since January this year. I like it, but I don't love it. It's light, fast and alu so makes a great wet weather bike, but I find the lateral stiffness of the frame annoyingly poor.

The photo shows my regular setup - Mavic Ksyrium SLR with SRAM Red / Force gruppo. The brake pads have about 2mm each side of the rim but when I stand up and sprint the wheel rubs a lot. It's most pronounced on these wheels because of the Xalith (?) finish which is noisy under braking, but does the same with my ENVEs too.

Swapping the wheels over to my Parlee and there is no rub at all, despite that frame being 30% lighter. So I don't think it's wheel flex.

Question is - is the frame faulty, or is this common on Smartweld frames? I'm 78kg / 6ft and not a massive power-house by any stretch! Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 pm 

I borrowed my friends 2014 E5 for a couple months at the start of this race season. At first i started thinking my wheels were all S**T. I was doing a race with a short steep climb on a 1.5mile circuit (black hills for those mabra boys). Every time up the climb I heard so much rub. I switched the brakes wide open , still rubbing. The week before I even had rubbing through a hard downhill turn. Never had issues with those wheels on other bikes. In my personal experience I would echo your sentiments about the allez.

edit: i run my brakes way wider than what you are showing here

Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:01 pm 

Yep, I feared as much. What a pain in the a$$! Thanks for the response, glad to know it's not just me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:02 pm 

i think my setup leaves much more possible culprits than yours as I was running 24mm carbon tubulars and Ti skewers. With ksyriums and mavic skewers there is really no where else to look but frame flex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 pm 

This is odd for me to hear as the owner of an SW Allez, 2 new SW Tarmacs and '15 SW Venge. I choose to ride the Allez more often than not since I commute on it and as such im used to it, so I race most crits on it. I've not found this to be the case for me at all.

I'm also 78kg, 6'1.5" and am a "sprinter" you could say, routinely doing over 1550w sprints in workouts that I do on the Allez. I'm genuinely surprised to hear of people finding the opposite.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:39 pm 

Might take it in to the Spec concept store near me to have a look. Something doesn't seem right.

@ prebsy - I only put the mavic skewers on for this trip to see if it made a difference. It does not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:01 am 

Flex in the bottom end was the number one complaint with my Smartweld frame. When sprinting or while standing in a climb in the big ring, I would rub the chain against the derailleur on the power stroke. My wheels never rubbed, but I do run more clearance on my brakes that most people are comfortable with. 28's can easily slip out without opening the calipers. The other weakness was on hard turns, I could actually feel the front end moving in the turn.
Sold that frame last year and went with a 2015 S-Works Tarmac, night and day difference in torsional stiffness. All the parts are the same, only the frame changed. Zero rubbing under power, and I feel significantly more confident in hard turns, front end just seems to track better.
Frame size/s were/are 56cm. I'm 6' and weigh 210lbs and can put down some solid power.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 am 

slr blake face toe in setting sound down

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:00 am 

Why have brake pads positioned so close to the rim on the rear brake ? Do you often accidently lock the rear wheel while braking ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:10 am 

Same problem here. I love my S-Works Allez, but it's definitely my trainer bike/winter bike rather than racer. I don't find the BB flex all that bad (there but not a deal-breaker), but the flex in the upper rear end is alarming and I can pretty comfortably get brake rub.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:01 am 

@HTML - I don think it really is that close, certainly never had problems locking up! Possibly just a bad photo.

Has anyone ever successfully claimed a warranty replacement or return for a reason like this? Seems like a pretty fundamental flaw - it's annoying the life out of me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:25 am 

Is your rear brake casing long enough ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 am 

The outer casing for the rear brake runs all through the frame - it looks deceptively short but there's plenty of slack.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:33 am 

You're not the only one experiencing a lack of stiffness in this frame.
It is the BB which flexes from side to side and my theory is that it's due to the SW junction at the head tube.

The previous generation E5 with conventional welds was incredibly stiff at both the head and BB area. But heavier weight as well.

Still this is quite a comfortable frame (because of the flex).

Still very much a nice frame though.

No one would have believed in the formative years of the twenty first century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:33 am 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:08 pm 

So I had an interesting chat with the guy in a Specialized Concept store yesterday. After trying to persuade me that 100% of the flex was coming from the wheels, and him losing that discussion, I was told that if you look closely at 'the pros on TV' they all loosen off their rear calipers before they hit any uphills to avoid rubbing! I didn't know quite how to respond to this! :noidea:

I don't think I'll be persevering with this frame for much longer...back to carbon for me!

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next