torque wrench?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

Is it time to join the torque wrench generation? Or are torque wrenches for wimps?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Vectors?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

AndreLM wrote:Vectors?

Yes. To install them I used a 25 lb box of kitty litter mounted on an 11 inch pedal wrench. That should have worked. But power data are clearly low:

Single point from Vector is on heavy randonneuring bike, most others are on Ritchey Breakaway road bike. Strava data are low because weight doesn't include equipment (clothes, helmet, shoes, backpack).

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Cool. Would love to see your conclusions (even if I do not plan to use them...)

djconnel

by djconnel

I need to put them up against Powertap on the same bike (requires pairing each with a separate head unit). But it may be a washer issue, not a torque issue. I didn't use any washers because on my crank, which is relatively flat, it didn't look like any would be needed.

bricky21

by bricky21

You need to add about 2.5 lb. to your 25 lb. bag of cat litter to get the desired 25 ft lb. of torque with an 11 inch lever no?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

What you going to do with that 15mm crowfoot?

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Apply proper torque the Vector onto the crank.

djconnel

by djconnel

I pushed slightly to account for the difference....
But it seems a torque wrench might be a good idea in general for bolt-tightening. Or is that over-stated?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Got one (BBB) some time ago and found out that 5Nm is really not all that much. Didn't have any problems in the years without it, though.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Can't hurt to know how tight you've gone, at least if you decide to go more or less your decision is a bit more informed.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

smart move DJ. your measuring your training precisely, might as well properly measure your bolt torquing. just think of all the other bolts you can now torque properly with peace of mind. DC Rainmaker has info on the proper torque values for the Vector.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

For a person who torques bolts everyday, it might be a waste of time. For an item like Vector, it appears to be a must have [experience or not].

For a person who will spend $1700 for a set of pedals and buy a $50 torque wrench.........well that's just ludicrous. If I did not want to buy a good torque wrench, I would pay someone who would torque it down properly for me.

BTW, using a beam type torque wrench is only accurate if you are looking at the indicator straight on. Attempting to torque a fastener, hold the items, and looking straight on the wrench to get a correct reading, is like watching monkeys with footballs.

djconnel

by djconnel

Well, to be honest I didn't buy the Vector. But the beam wrenches were specifically recommended to me as generally more useful than the click-type wrenches as long as you have line-of-sight. The click-type are better for working under cars, and I don't have a car.

It seems like the torque wrench is a good idea for someone not turning bolts on a daily basis. Even if it prevents one mistake it's worth the money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ARL002

by ARL002

I have the Vectors and use the Beam torque wrench and crowfoot method. Having moved and installed my Vectors numerous times between my trainer bike and road carbon, I can say that the Beam+crowfoot method is workable, but probably not ideal or incredibly precise. I've had issues in terms of getting lower readings on one bike vs the other.

The challenge in getting a correct reading is being able to look straight on the gauge while tightening given the rotation of the crank set while trying to tighten. Subsequently, I've purchased a TEKTON click-type torque wrench from Amazon to use with the crowfoot. This combination does not work well given the overlap on the female end of the crowfoot due to the increased head size of the click-type torque wrench. I'd like to use this but I think another crowfoot type option would be required (anyone have any thoughts on this?)