Festive 500. The weather is not helping this year

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi all,

Over here in the Northern hemisphere things are complicated when one wants to ride the Festive 500.
On day one we had force 6 winds and that slowed us down a bit
day two brought dry weather, but two flats for a buddy and a broken chain for another mate.
Day three gave us dry weather, lots of myst, [url=http://app.strava.com/activities/101974813]and close to zero deg. temps. (1.2 deg C)
On top of that I had a very rough night before in which I felt like the flu came to get me. Kept that feeling during the whole ride.
Day four was a ride with three. It was force 6 winds again, but now coupled with lots and lots of rain.

The forecast isn't all to positive either for us. tomorrow is less wind, but an equal amount of rain. Sunday will be dry-ish and with even less wind, but after that the wind and rain will pick up again.

What is your story?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Musiker

by Musiker

I just returned from the obligatory family Christmas stuff and with a very pregnant spouse (we are expecting twins end Marchl) + a very active 22 months old daughter, there is no chance in hell I will be able to ride 500km before new year. I only have 3 days where I could find time to ride, and I would need to do 167km a day - Which would take me 6+ hours this time a year!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I signed up for it on Strava as a motivational tool, but will not be able to ride the full 500... due to work considerations I am riding a 40km loop after work (and also after Christmas lunch)... but three days in that puts be at 120-odd km. Missed a ride on the 24th - that pesky family holiday thing!

Ok for the weekend, which should be pleasant, but doubtful to make the outstanding 380...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

ichobi

by ichobi

Cant complain here in Thailand, fair weather a bit chilly and windy, but nothing like you lots! Temp is around 13-17 c, need 120ks more.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Get well soon, John!
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

otoman

by otoman

I'd be killin' it if they counted miles on the rollers! :lol: Lots of hours, not many outside miles to document on social media….
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

wojchiech

by wojchiech

I feel grateful to live in the not so northern hemisphere. The bay area in California still gets cold in the mornings (especially inland which can get down to 0*C), but almost always warms enough to take off all warmers and gloves. I was aiming to do an imperial festive500 (miles, not kms), but my fragile Californian demeanor and lack of cold weather gear made it not possible. I'm still on point for hitting 500k, see my photos in the 'on the road today' thread, or follow me on strava and/or instagram. :beerchug:
Last edited by wojchiech on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llhh

by llhh

Greetings from the North! :) I'm based in Estonia (next to Finland) and we have had exceptionally warm weather over here this year. Last 3 years it has been 50cm of snow during Xmas and full on skiing conditions, this year we have green meadows and temperature around 0-5C.

So we couldn't resist the temptation to do Rapha 500, just because it was possible. Despite of stormy winds, rain/sleet, 5 hours of dim daylight and lots of crap on the roads we managed to pull off 500km in 5 days, although at times I would have preferred to sit by the fireplace with shot of Jägermeister at hand.

This picture pretty much sums it up for me I think. So remember - whatever the weather, it can probably always get worse.

Good luck to everyone still about to complete the challange! :beerchug:
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Guess Bay Area's "winter" is one of the reason why the cost of living is so high here! Had no problem knocking out the 500km with days to spare.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

To our Northern European members, you put us to shame!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Next year....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Willier

by Willier

Frankie - B wrote:Next year....

+1, 500km proved too much for me, considering some bad weather and knee pain... 320km is not that bad i guess.
p.s. I was earlier on the strava page and have to say hats off to some guys doing 1500+km