Boris bike vs Mont Ventoux

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ross

by ross

Background - in London you can hire bicycles for £2 per 24hr period from lots of locations in London. They are called Boris bikes after the London mayor when they were introduced. The bikes themselves are entirely non-ww at around 23Kg - this is to help prevent people throwing them in the river Thames or otherwise stealing them. There is a £150 fine for not returning them within the 24hr hire period

So this is what happens when you hire one from London, drive to Ventoux, cycle up it and return the bike within the 24hr period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUWCeAzkc2Q

Happy holidays weenies :D

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I liked that. unfortunately it cost more than the 2 pounds to take that trip.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nutellaurent

by Nutellaurent

funny idea, although i think if you drive from London to the south of France, you should stay more than a few hours :)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Amusing but would not have been so much of a challenge if the guy was a bit fitter (and smaller).
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

stella-azzurra wrote:I liked that. unfortunately it cost more than the 2 pounds to take that trip.

What you mean they didn't do it in the 24 hour limit?

knef

by knef

No, they did it within time limit. He means petrol, toll roads, the car train underneath the North Sea, food, etc...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Just for fun/mischief, I decided to check whether any hire (rental) terms were violated by transporting and riding the bicycle out of the country. I did not find terms listed on the website, so I submitted a web enquiry.
HammerTime2 wrote: I would like to find out whether there are any restrictions on how far from the hire location the bicycle may be ridden or transported, presuming it is returned on time, and this would include whether there are any restrictions on transporting and riding the bicycle outside of Great Britain, again presuming that it is returned on time. Thank you.
Rebecca Kelly of Barclays Cycle Hire wrote:Our ref: FJ / 101002255134

Dear <HammerTime2>

Thank you for your email, dated 25 December 2013, regarding the use of Barclays Cycle Hire machines.

For your information, in theory there are no restrictions on where you can take a bicycle. Please note, however, that you will be responsible for paying any charges incurred for keeping a bike for more than 30 minutes so we do recommend that users dock the cycles at the earliest opportunity to keep their extra ride charges to a minimum.

You are responsible for the bike whenever it is in your possession. Please refer to the terms and conditions for more information. Also, you should be aware that you will be charged £150 for any bike not returned within 24 hours.

Should you require information regarding any other Scheme related matter, please refer to our website http://www.tfl.gov.uk/barclayscyclehire. Alternatively, you may also contact us using the details below, where one of our Customer Service Representatives will be happy to assist you.

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Kelly
Barclays Cycle Hire
Tel: 0343 222 6666
International: +44 (0)20 8216 6666
Email: enquiries@barclayscyclehire.tfl.gov.uk
So I guess the OP won't be going up the river, as we Americans would say.

By the way, where is it stated that a cycle can be hired for 24 hours for £2? Isn't it £50?
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14811.aspx wrote:Barclays Cycle Hire / What you pay

When you return your cycle, make sure the green light comes on to show the bike is securely docked.
If it doesn't, we'll continue to charge you for your journey.
Bike access

includes unlimited journeys of up to 30 mins

24 hours
£2

7 days
£10

Annual
£90
(Registered users only)

Extra ride charges

if you keep a bike for 30 minutes or longer

Between 30 minutes and 1 hour
£1

Up to 1 hour 30 minutes
£4

Up to 2 hours
£6

Up to 2 hours 30 minutes
£10

Up to 3 hours
£15

Up to 6 hours
£35

Up to 24 hours (maximum)
£50

Other charges

If you keep a bike for over 24 hours: £150

If you damage or don't return a bike: Up to £300

Klarion

by Klarion

Although (or rather, because) I live in London I have never used one of these 'Boris' bikes so I was unaware that they charge people £50 to use one for a day, or £35 for six hours. That reason for that extortionate sum is apparently to discourage people from using them for anything but very short trips.

I visit Hamburg quite a lot and use the German equivalent scheme which is called StadtRad. For whatever reasons, the Germans don't feel the need to penalise people for hiring one of these bikes for longer durations, and it only costs 12 euros to take one out for a day. That makes it quite an economical (& relaxed) way to get round the city.

However they also weigh about 24kg. One of the nice things about using them for a day or two is that when you get back on your own bike again, it feels light as a feather!

bricky21

by bricky21

London pricing is pretty reasonable. That trip would cost $375 with Chicago's bikes. Same bike too :lol:
http://divvybikes.com/pricing/24-Hour-Passes

euan

by euan

I think the £2 is for people who have joined the Boris bike scheme rather than a random who has just walked up and used it

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Ah yes, shame on them for not making the charges clearer.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/28111.aspx wrote:Register for your own key

You can always hire a bike using your credit or debit card, but if you're a regular, consider registering with us online:

Get your own key for quicker bike access (there's a one-off £3 fee per key)
Frequent users can save money with yearly bike access for £90 - that's 25p per day
Or you can still choose 24-hour bike access for £2 or 7-day bike access for £10
All other costs are the same, and you can check 12 months of account history online

Klarion

by Klarion

euan wrote:I think the £2 is for people who have joined the Boris bike scheme rather than a random who has just walked up and used it

Yes, but unfortunately the £2 charge is not instead of paying the £50 for 24 hours. As far as I can tell, it's in addition to paying the £50.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Yes, it looks like I was right the first time.

To hire a cycle, you must first pay to have access during the period of the hire. Then you must also pay for the hire (with the exception that hires of less than 30 minutes are free, other than requiring access to have been obtaned).

Although for short duration hires it's inexpensive, £50 for 24 hours certainly does not seem cheap, especially considering that the bike is a piece of cr@p. For £50, I would think you could hire a passable road bike. Obviously, they are trying to discourage long duration hires, while encouraging very short duration (up to 20 minutes) usage.