Bike Gallery?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I have given this a bit of thought over the last few days. We can make a thread that is called 6 to 6.8 kilo bikes, 5 to 6 kilo etc. Metrics are used because the 6.8 rule is made in Yurp and because this makes comparing bikes easier for all of us. (Oh, and to be quite frank, because i'm Dutch :p) Using both metric and imperial will make things harder for all of us. Build lists are mandatory in order to verify the weights as well.

We could also make subforums with those 6 to 6.8 kilo titles. We should check what works best.

Thoughts?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Would it be an idea to lock the threads, like the classifieds? That way the important stuff doesn't get lost in pages of discussion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

That way you would get only one shot to get things right. And most of our bikes are evolving projects. At least, mine is. So i guess that that is not the way to go.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

deltree

by deltree

How about just one thread in which the admins post once a month? In that stickied thread you have a post for 2kg bikes, one for 2-3kg and so on. In another thread anybody can submit their bike with a photo, verification and details, also any updates. At the end of the month new bikes are copied into the listings thread. Bit of work involved but it'd be a clean way of listing everything, I'm sure people could help out and one person could be assigned to a weight category.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I volunteer for the 2 kilo section [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

austke

by austke

prendrefeu wrote:
austke wrote:Yes please. A thread for each.
2.xx
3.xx
4.xx
5.xx
Heck. I'd almost kill to see the contents of a 2.xx thread. :)
Great idea!!!

Definitely agree, however can it be moderated in some way?

It's too often we see threads about one person's build and someone else will come in, post their own bicycle or something else, and it gets mucky like mud.

In my opinion, a proper thread/gallery like that would have one picture of each build that qualifies in that category with a link to that build's thread, maybe a build list along with it, but not much else...

Yes, I Agee.
Picture, build list and a Link.
KISS approach.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I like the idea Frankie and am willing to help out a little if you need. I'd probably combine the two lightest groups and have it be 2kg-4kg. I can't think of more than one or two bikes that are 2kg-3kg, and probably only another 5 or 6 that are 3kg to 4kg.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I agree with Frankie, as well as Madcow

Combining the 2-4kg is a good idea too. A 2.xx would be a VERY VERY short thread (still great though :D ).
(there are only a few and they not only have to exist, but they have to be willing to post them.)

I do think they should be "sticky" threads. They belong at the top of the list as a great reference etc...

I think prend is on to something too. It should be VERY concise, otherwise it will evolve from a great build to something like doping. It needs strict moderating.

I'm happy to "lend a hand" there, if needed.
Last edited by carbon2329 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I like this idea...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

fitty4

by fitty4

How about 2kg-5kg I can't remember seeing that many in this catagory... 40 tops? I consider Madcow the expert here

lippythelion

by lippythelion

With pedals & one bottle cage?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I've made a sub forum to the gallery thread. Please check it out here: viewforum.php?f=118

Also, is one of you willing to post his bike in the thread all while following the guidelines that I set in there as well?

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Looks like a good template Frankie, hopefully some people will help out and we can get them up and running :thumbup: . Would maybe be nice to have a link to the bikes own thread if there is one? That way if you like what you see, it's easy to get more info rather than having to search through the whole intro/gallery forum to find it.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Test looks good. Would it be a good idea to standardize the thread titles, maybe manufacturer/model/weight. Scott, CR1, 4565 gr. for Example.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Good thought. What do the users think of that?

Standardisation of topic titles like Madcow suggests. is that a good thing?