Strava just stopped using Google Maps

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I just noticed today that Strava stopped using Google Maps and is using OSM. Kinda disappointed as using Google street view was very useful when planning a bike ride or commute to work. Kinda knocks Strava down a few notches imo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

You can still use Google Maps, like a normal person, to plan a ride.
Ride planning is better using a service like RideWithGPS anyway.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

I never said you couldn't use Google Maps. I am talking about use of Strava with the map system they use. Please try to follow the thread and stay on topic. Thanks.

53x12

by 53x12

I noticed that as well. Must have happened in the last day or two. I looked over at the strava zendesk forum and doesn't seem to be a popular decision on Strava's part. Lots of premium members saying that have stopped their premium account. Will be interesting to see what the fallout of this decision is. Probably came down to a $ thing for Strava as I would assume OpenStreetMap was cheaper to license than Google Maps. I know for around where I live, OSM has poor coverage and quality isn't on par with Google. Also sad to see street view to go.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ahillock wrote:I never said you couldn't use Google Maps. I am talking about use of Strava with the map system they use. Please try to follow the thread and stay on topic. Thanks.

It is on topic.

Strava ends use of Google Maps, which for some isn't great for ride planning which you, on topic, made use of, but better for their bottom line.
Yet other services are better for ride planning anyway, which I suggested, and is on topic.

It sucks that someone would have to go outside of Strava to see a streetview of something, I'm sorry that it is frustrating for you? :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Marin

by Marin

I'm also I'm the "this sucks" camp. Pretty frustrating, really. :(

Ahillock

by Ahillock

prendrefeu wrote:
Ahillock wrote:I never said you couldn't use Google Maps. I am talking about use of Strava with the map system they use. Please try to follow the thread and stay on topic. Thanks.

It is on topic.

Strava ends use of Google Maps, which for some isn't great for ride planning which you, on topic, made use of, but better for their bottom line.
Yet other services are better for ride planning anyway, which I suggested, and is on topic.

It sucks that someone would have to go outside of Strava to see a streetview of something, I'm sorry that it is frustrating for you? :noidea:

Please stop polluting this thread with off topic stuff. This thread is about Strava as noted in the thread title and the OP. This thread is not about RideWithGPS. This thread is not about other services. If you want to discuss RideWithGPS, please start your own thread. Again, this thread is about Strava no longer using Google Maps.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

It looks like I still have Google maps on Route Builder, but everything else is using OSM for satellite view. For me, not a huge issue as anytime I built I route I left it on standard maps anyways. Only time it came into play was when I was checking if something was paved or not.
Instagram @seanblurr

wingguy

by wingguy

When I went through a phase of being a nauseating segment hunter ( :oops: ) street view was really useful for checking exactly where segments start and stop.

For riding like a normal person, I agree with Prend that there are lots of good free services that are built around route planning. I tend to use Garmin Connect pre ride and starve post ride, f.e.

ross

by ross

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI is awesome with the opencyclemap and openstreetmap overlays

Rick

by Rick

I didn't know they stopped using google maps; but I did notice that their maps seemed crappier than usual. I thought maybe it was my ability to navigate the website. :oops:

RDJEHV

by RDJEHV

I like using the strava heatmap functionality but Bikeroutetoaster also send height profile info to my garmin which strava does not do. So for rides in the mountains I end up drawing routes twice. Maybe the switch to osm will seduce strava to include height profiles too?

NJBiker72

by NJBiker72

prendrefeu wrote:You can still use Google Maps, like a normal person, to plan a ride.
Ride planning is better using a service like RideWithGPS anyway.

RWGPS has some merits and our club is split 50/50. But Strava has a huge advantage in being able to map routes by popularity. A very nice feature when trying something out of the usual area.

It's a shame they went away from Google.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

djm

by djm

NJBiker72: Only problem is I've been routed to many a gravel road when I have not wanted to, simply because MTBers or touring people have ridden both paved and unpaved roads and logged it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chiumomo

by chiumomo

Strava went away from Google because they want to open the market in China? China government is blocking Google so strava has to find an alternative map.