MadFiber, Serotta and Blue Now Owned by Divine Cycling

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sawyer

by sawyer

http://serotta.com/get-the-serotta-of-y ... wer-price/

Not all the offers look that great? :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://serotta.com/get-the-serotta-of-your-dreams-now-at-a-lower-price/ wrote:As you’d expect, there’s some fine print. The fully custom MeiVici SE is not available at any price. (You can, however, order a Standard Geometry MeiVici SG at a 20 percent discount!) The Pronto and Fondo framesets, already an incredible value for hand-built bikes, are not included in the sale.

So, you may be asking, why are we offering these great deals?

Well, as you may know, we are restructuring the company. We want to keep our team of American craftsmen busy doing what they have been doing for four decades: Building great bikes.
In other words, they're flushing inventory to raise cash, and not accepting custom build orders because that requires expenditure of cash.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

The ones that succeed are those that recognize the need for professional management. To top it off the guy sounds like a bit of douche. No great loss IMO.[/quote]

Got it right again. Many years ago, they ran 3-4 weeks late on a stock frame order. Two years after that, when I broke it, he was a little bit of a douche when I spoke with him in person about the break. He fixed it without charge, but something about his reaction rubbed me the wrong way. In any case, it was a nice bike.

But since that time, when I viewed bikes as tools for racing, they moved into an entirely different space. Cynical/practical rider that I am, I couldn't see how they would maintain a vibrant business when other products do the same job for much less $.

sawyer

by sawyer

You've got to either be stupid as you believe the fraudulent marketing rubbish that goes with their bikes (lest anyone disputes this check out some of their distributors' descriptions - complete bollox)

Or else you're not stupid and realise it won't make you any faster at all but have a ton of cash and want something with snob value / exclusivity.

I reckon there's a fair number of both among the Serrotta clientele.

Edit - there's then a third group who have been duped into believing they really need a custom frame.

53x12

by 53x12

sawyer wrote:http://serotta.com/get-the-serotta-of-your-dreams-now-at-a-lower-price/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not all the offers look that great? :wink:

Nope. And if you have the coin why buy a Serotta? Parlee and Crumpton make exponentially better frames.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

spud

by spud

sawyer wrote:You've got to either be stupid as you believe the fraudulent marketing rubbish that goes with their bikes (lest anyone disputes this check out some of their distributors' descriptions - complete bollox)

Or else you're not stupid and realise it won't make you any faster at all but have a ton of cash and want something with snob value / exclusivity.

Edit - there's then a third group who have been duped into believing they really need a custom frame.

I don't mean to me cruel, but there's a whole raft of local club riders that were all sold on custom frames by the same fitter whose prescription was remarkably consistent: "your top tube is an inch too long!". I cringe whenever I see this people, for the ass compressing fit they got, and the shrunk wallet.

metanoize

by metanoize

Can't wait to see Made in Taiwan Serotta http://www.bicycleretailer.com/internat ... hP6uRbGLHM

And hopefully sold at Wiggle, Performance etc...

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Not to worry. If they can get a Taiwanese village (or maybe just a section of one) to be named Saratoga Springs, then they can proudly and honestly advertise that all Serottas are made in Saratoga Springs, as they have been for the last 41 years.

53x12

by 53x12

spud wrote:I don't mean to me cruel, but there's a whole raft of local club riders that were all sold on custom frames by the same fitter whose prescription was remarkably consistent: "your top tube is an inch too long!". I cringe whenever I see this people, for the ass compressing fit they got, and the shrunk wallet.

+1. Word.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

bricky21

by bricky21

Mad Fiber plans Taiwan OE production, continuing in Seattle

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/internat ... hQf05I3uyh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

53x12

by 53x12

bricky, was already posted 3 posts above yours by metanoize.

sawyer

by sawyer

spud wrote:
sawyer wrote:You've got to either be stupid as you believe the fraudulent marketing rubbish that goes with their bikes (lest anyone disputes this check out some of their distributors' descriptions - complete bollox)

I don't mean to me cruel, but there's a whole raft of local club riders that were all sold on custom frames by the same fitter whose prescription was remarkably consistent: "your top tube is an inch too long!". I cringe whenever I see this people, for the ass compressing fit they got, and the shrunk wallet.

No doubt some people would really benefit from a custom frame but it's nowhere near as many people as get sucked into it, that's for sure.

The explosion in off the peg choice over the last 5 or so years, especially in sportive type geos, has made the custom route look, for most, eccentric at best, and at worst a spectacular waste of money. I know they still bang on about bb heights etc, but it's got pretty lame.

Not sure how true it is, but I heard that the Serotta guys knew it was all BS, but that was their market so they stuck to it.

It's a lightly regulated industry in respect of marketing ... people claim all manner of crap to sell product.

OrPe

by OrPe

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-am ... hTJDZIwdCv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry ... hTJGJIwdCt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shame...

bricky21

by bricky21

53x12 wrote:bricky, was already posted 3 posts above yours by metanoize.

:doh:

Wingnut

by Wingnut

sawyer wrote:No doubt some people would really benefit from a custom frame but it's nowhere near as many people as get sucked into it, that's for sure.

The explosion in off the peg choice over the last 5 or so years, especially in sportive type geos, has made the custom route look, for most, eccentric at best, and at worst a spectacular waste of money. I know they still bang on about bb heights etc, but it's got pretty lame.

With regard to custom frames, not relating to Serotta per say but my understanding is that most people who do go custom usually do so because the off the rack are not up to scratch in the fit/geometry etc.

I would say most people are "sucked" into the the off the peg S, M, L, XL and are either lacking in knowledge or ignorant to the true benefits of a custom frame. But imo it usually it takes years of riding ill fitting off the rack frames and understanding your body to come to this realisation...

Atmo...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com