Leg warmers vs knee warmers, what says ww?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

munk93

by munk93

Racing: nothing
Training and above 20 deg C: Nothing
Training and below 20 C: Legwarmers.
Below 5 C: Full length bibs. 8)
I can't stand the looks of knee warmers. But I'm asuming they are quite good for 15 deg C and below.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Like for like, kneewarmers should be lighter. :wink:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

legwarmers (to me) only make senese if you they are thermal and you hvae a thermal bib on. Thermal leg warmers without a thermal bib, seems like a cold time in weather before 50F.

i personaly do knee warmers from 50-60F , 38-50 usually bib tights , 38 below deep winter tights. (for non races). I think last year i did knee warmers during a race that was avg 45F....that was kinda stupid, but ok.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Remember the air temp while riding the bike is different than the air temp when you stand around.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Musiker

by Musiker

I used normal bibs and legwarmers today 10C and rain, was perfect.. I dont have kneewarmers, dont like the look, I use knickers sometimes. Mostly its however either bibs or full length for me.
I find that its keeping skin covered is what i need when temperature drops to around 10-12c.
Combined with a wind/waterproof jacket, overshoes and or gloves and i never freeze. And if i get warm i drop gloves and/or jacket.
For Below 5-10c i use winter tights (no pad) over norMal bibs

sawyer

by sawyer

Musiker wrote:I used normal bibs and legwarmers today 10C and rain, was perfect.. I dont have kneewarmers, dont like the look, I use knickers sometimes. Mostly its however either bibs or full length for me.
I find that its keeping skin covered is what i need when temperature drops to around 10-12c.
Combined with a wind/waterproof jacket, overshoes and or gloves and i never freeze. And if i get warm i drop gloves and/or jacket.
For Below 5-10c i use winter tights (no pad) over norMal bibs

Agree kneewarmers are not a good look at all.

I use leg and arm warmers and standard summer kit down to 7 or 8c or so I guess and then add a thermal windblock vest and gloves below that. Works well unless it's really cold.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: