Weightweenies get no love from mechanics?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Does anyone feel that LBS mechanics don't really like servicing WW bikes? Over the years I frequently get comments from mechanics about the dubious reliability of the parts that I use when they install them, even when those items have proved to be pretty solid stuff (my previous extralite stem for example). Recently, I brought my bike to the shop to get a drivetrain noise diagnosed and the mechanic says "It's hard to find out what's the problem when you mix and match components", and ask me to come back when I get the bike fitted with a complete groupset. In the end it was the chainring bolts making the creaking :roll: Poor brake feel were also attributed to the alligator cables I'm using even thought they were perfect on my previous bike.

A bit embarrassed hence to certain WW parts like BTP shifter clamps a try as I'm sure the mechanics will have something to say about the use of exotic stuff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

I've had the opposite experience with my LBS. They love working on my bikes because there's non standard stuff and I'm specific and exacting about what I want. They've organised polishing, resprays, anodising etc.

For them it beats working on standard and kids bikes where the quality's often crap.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

KB wrote:I've had the opposite experience with my LBS. They love working on my bikes because there's non standard stuff and I'm specific and exacting about what I want. They've organised polishing, resprays, anodising etc.

You are very very lucky then...my feel of my of the LBS in my country is that they just want to sell stock bikes and hope the customer don't come back to give them things to ponder upon. They are shops here which don't want to do i-links cos of the effort involved for example.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I won't take mine to the LBS because they are well outa there depth with a bike like mine.
I have tools and my own workshop..
I also build bikes for friends as I've developed the skills needed to work on serious WW bikes.
Bikes arn't very complicated too be honest and if your methodical you can work through problems.
A bit of research and manual reading goes a long way :thumbup:

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

+1

Gives a lot of satisfaction too!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah, you have to either find the right wrench or stick to working on your own kit. I have a good mechanic at my LBS who dabbles in WWism so he is always keen to see what I've done.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Last time I was in a shop, I asked about tubeless tires and the rep started talking about his 13 pound WW bike and Chinese tubulars/hubs. You'd be surprised how many WW's are out there. I think we just need. Secret handshake or something. Or just buy your mechanic a six pack of beer.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

A six pack gets you a bike build in my workshop.
In fact it's know as the 'skunkworks' I even have really cool stickers!!

bricky21

by bricky21

I've always felt that doing my own tinkering is most of the fun of the WW thing. If I didn't feel comfortable installing a crank or shifter clamp, for example, I wouldn't be rolling around with exotic finicky components.

Anyways, taking your WW machine to the LBS to get upgraded with high zoot parts is like taking your car to the local Ford Service Dept. to get a custom exhaust system.

afalts

by afalts

bricky21 wrote:Anyways, taking your WW machine to the LBS to get upgraded with high zoot parts is like taking your car to the local Ford Service Dept. to get a custom exhaust system.

No. There are different 'levels' of LBS's just as there are car shops.

mattr

by mattr

Depends really.
Lots of WW bikes are lash ups. Bits that you have to be really careful when dealing with. Much smaller tolerances between slipping and broken. Stuff that takes twice as long to service, (usually for the same money). Bits that spring off and disappear under the bench.
Stuff that simply isn't robust to variation in set up.

A nice light bike with a complete group set of kit that works together, is serviceable in the same way as all the other bikes coming through the workshop in the same time scale, with the same tools and so on.

I know what I'd prefer (as an ex shop mechanic).

bricky21

by bricky21

afalts wrote:No. There are different 'levels' of LBS's just as there are car shops.

Yes, but WW LBSs shops are very few, and very far between.

PSM

by PSM

Mechanics? ;)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

My experience, especially having moved to a new city, is that LBS aren't comfortable working on new things. My old LBS wasn't comfortable working on Reynolds wheels. They didn't sell them, they didn't like to work on them. They also didn't understand why someone would swap from steel bolts to aluminum or [gasp] titanium. Save weight? WHY?!

The new shop where I live looks at me as the big city guy with money. I'm lucking if I can get something at MSRP. My wife had a fall last year, and took her bike in before I could fix it. The bar tape that cost me $25 installed back home cost me $60. Why? Because they saw me as deep pocket's guy (not that I am, I'm just from a big city, compared to a small town). They also looked at me (on my Trek) and immediately wanted to sell me a Specialized. Needless to say, I only go there if I absolutely, positively NEED something. Otherwise, I'll go to a bike shop in Austin, Houston or San Antonio, where I can just blend into the crowd.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I think that if you mess about with weight weenie parts you should learn how everything works and do your own maintenance and repair.
Many WW parts need to be tinkered with to work optimally and require more TLC to stay in adjustment than say a straight Shimano group.