best fan

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Advice please on staying cool on the turbo / rollers. I am looking at large industrial fan, but many choices. Thanks.

bricky21

by bricky21

I like air movers better than fans. A lot of the air big fans move never even hits your body. With an air mover you can direct it right were you need to. The dryer you are the cooler you'll be. Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I've also been happy with the Vortex brand fans, although I would like to rig up some kind of remote control.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

fireball05

by fireball05

The air mover posted above is great, but it is super loud! Or at least the one I have that looks very similar is. And to compensate, I have to play the music or movie much louder to be able to hear which upsets my wife. So for me the best fan is a box fan pointing upwards right in front of me, and a oscillating fan on a pedastal right behind the trainer. This seems to work really nice, is relatively quiet, keeps me cool and keeps the family happy!

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

You could put 4 smaller fans around you.
Or you could purchase an ice fan. :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I'm using this:

Some Bestron-fan a friend gave me. Nothing fancy but it does the job just fine. If you are looking for hurricane speed winds I would not recommend it. I usually don't go beyond the lowest setting (it has three).

gt5504b

by gt5504b

I know this will sound like a jerk/trolling answer, but I just go ride outside to stay cool in the winter :)

Ok, so that's a bit off topic from the OP request, so here is something that may be more useful. If I have to resort to a trainer or rollers due to cold AND wet winter weather, I tend to try to exile myself to the smallest room I can fit in with a decent window. In my current apartment that means taking over the bathroom, where I can successfully lower the room's temperature if it is cold enough out that I'm on the trainer to begin with.

Then combined with even the weakest freestanding fan there is enough cool air movement to keep me comfortable. Frankly I seldom have to resort to a fan with this method.

bricky21

by bricky21

Simply put training indoors is a more efficient use of time for folks with tight schedules. The only real drawback is thermal regulation. Staying dry is the best way to regulate your temperature. Moving air over your body is the best way to stay dry. I'd say that if you train inside comfortably without a fan then you're either way outside of the norm, or you aren't riding very hard.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Also, invest in some mesh undershirt which keeps the body (relatively) dry. Works wonders on the trainer.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i hate fans, the buzzing makes me nervous after like 15 minutes

what i do is take the stuff outside, put some warm clothes on and as i "ride" i take'em off layer by layer.
not only it allows my lungs to cope with low temperatures, but i feel like my body really takes the benefit of the fresh air and appreciates that sort of toughening
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I have one of these

worth every penny.