Pinarello Hate

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

There are literally 1000s of them here, Id say the most popular bike in my club (shop discount helps). But I loathe them simply as every time I see that wiggly fork, which is about as much use as tits on a nun.

KWalker

by KWalker

Regarding performance is there any other brand of bike that has been on more GT and monument podiums in the past 3 years?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

They receive no love here because they are not a weight weenie bike- they are a pro racing bike.
If the frame weighted in like a Tarmac SL4- weight weenies would be gaga for them.
Right now they weigh 1200 grams so they are only used by pro tour riders, pro wannabies, and fat and/or old punters.
That said, I'd rock one. What does that make me?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's got nothing to do with them not being a WW bike. Colnagos aren't exactly WW either, but they seem to get a lotta love here. I tend to agree with JMilliron and others... I just don't like the look. I like straight, symmetrical lines on a bicycle and hence my attraction to Colnago, at least the Italian ones. The forks and stays on the Pinarellos are, to me, and as someone else pointed out... preposterous. Lol. I used to really like Pinarellos back in the days when they were ridden by the likes of Indurain, etc. Straight, clean lines, and that white Banesto paint scheme... loved it. But they looked the same as any other bike of the day and hence it was very easy to paint your sponsors name on a bike that was made my someone else. Just ask Dario Peggoretti. Round tubes, straight and lugged. I think Pinarellos decision to change things up with curvy stays and forks was simply an effort to distinguish themselves in a marketplace full of "sameness". Well, they certainly did that, but it's not to every one's liking. It's a love it or hate it design... quite polarizing really. Solid bikes for sure, but you have to like what you're riding aesthetically, unless you're a pro then you ride what you're told to ride. And when a few years ago they decided to add that heavy glitter to their paintjobs, well then they lost me completely. I felt like they were selling to Dorothy on Wizard of OZ with her glittery sliver shoes... "click, click... Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore". But mostly, I hate those preposterous forks... shhhhh.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LouisN

by LouisN

+1 with Rick, Leviathan and Calnago.

Louis :)

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Very expensive and very heavy. Not exactly hitting market trends so that alone will alienate quite a few prospective clients. Their design is a joke and anyone can figure that out. If you have to shape carbon like that to get a certain type of ride then youre doing it wrong. Worth mentioning that they took the swervy stay from Casati. Casati never made crazy claims about it nor did they push it too far.
I appreciate their history and their ability to distinguish themselves. However I cant get on board with their last 10 years worth of product.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

sawyer

by sawyer

Any oaf the pro level bikes wld have had the same success more or less with sky

They are heavy and BS about weight and don't offer anything special for the money.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

A friend owned several bikes including a Dogma 2 recently and said the Dogma is the least favourite of his, very stiff, but dead and flat in feel like a plank, in comparison to the lively feel of the cannondale Evo and and the well balanced Trek 6.9 ssl. Overhyped and too one-dimensional for the premium he paid. These were backed up by another who tried his entire stable too.

KWalker

by KWalker

Weird I would consider the fact that they apparently handle great and I've never once (including working at shops that did and did not sell them) heard a single bad thing about them from a customer, racer, rep, Fred, etc. something that's pretty good. I can't say that I've actually come across a brand or model of frame that seems to be universally liked by more types of riders actually.

Its weird that you mention that. I find it the opposite and I've owned 2 Evos and ridden a Trek (which was pretty bad).
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

gravity

by gravity

I don't 'prefer' Pinarello because everyone who rides them around my area is a total d*cks. Which leads me to disliking the riders, and their bikes :lol: :lol: :lol:

c50jim

by c50jim

I've owned two Pinarellos - an early 90s steel bike that was my winter bike, sold to a friend who still rides it a bit, and a Dogma Di2 that I crashed at 58.3 km/hr according to my Garmin on my third ride. The bike survived with scuffing on the shifter hoods and left crank arm (and is still going strong today under another friend), the rider ... The day before my crash the bike did 108 km up and down hills through the Maratona dles Dolomiti and I loved it there even though I'd only ridden it once for about 25 km before that big day.

Here's a few thoughts from a Colnago guy (down to 9 now including five of my beloved C40s - lifetime supply - and four others but no C50 these days).

So, they're made in Asia. Who cares, there are lots of good bikes made there, including most of those light frames weenies love. Maybe there's something to be said for the experience of building in volume.

So, they're not light. Remember those frames that shatter when they hit a curb in the Tour? Not Pinarellos or Colnagos were they? Maybe it's because I'm 6'1" and weigh 180 but I've never had a bike much under 16 pounds. Even with those lovely light C24 DA wheels the Dogma was something like 17.5 pounds. Frankly, while I certainly notice the difference between my S&S coupled 21 pound steel travel bike and anything else I own, I really don't perceive a huge difference between my sub 16 pound bike and my 18.5 pound Pegoretti or Dream. It's counterintuitive because the difference between 16 and 18.5 is the same as 18.5 to 21, but I just notice it a lot more. Maybe 20 pounds is some kind of magic number.

So, you don't like the waves. I can't see that they do anything for performance but Pinarello thinks they help sell bikes. If that's how they feel, it's OK with me. How many of us look at the fork or the seatstays while we're riding? Didn't we buy the bike to ride, not to ogle? As an aside, there were several members of the Pinarello family at the Maratona this year (you wear a rear number with your name and flag for your country) and they all seemed to be on waved bikes.

Handling? Well, the Pinarello was a little quicker handling than my Wilier and Pegoretti and a lot quicker than my Colnagos. However, it was still slower than the R3 I had for a while. Like all the Italian bikes I've owned, it had stable, predictable handling at speed. Even after almost killing myself on the bike (18 days in hospital and 10 months off the bike), I could go down my favourite local hill at about 80 km/hr. Yes, I sold it but that was a mental block. I also sold my three Parlees (and put the groups on C40s I found) because after my crash I didn't feel comfortable with them on the same hill.

Let's face it. Pinarello makes some really good bikes. So do most of the other big names, whether Asian, European (made in Europe or Asia) or American (made in the US or Asia). Like KWalker, I rode a Trek a couple of years ago and didn't like it. I rode up Haleakala and didn't ride it down because I wasn't confident at speed (yes, this was after my crash). Then again, it was a rental and the bars were too high (so weight placed differently than on my own bikes) so it wasn't a perfect fit. A guy on a recent mountain trip in Italy loved his Domane. Why can't we just admit that we don't like something without having to flame it?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

A few golden oldies.

I started out with naive open-mindedness.
On June 27, 2007 in new pinarello?, Mario Jr. wrote:
nexusheli wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:O.K., I admit I didn't search, but ... Do those curves in the Pinarello fork really do anything, other than attract attention? What about the curves in the Prince seat stays?
The Onda system on all Pinarellos does a lot. When looking at the bike side-on, the curve allows the fork and stays to flex vertically. It acts sort of like a leaf-spring, absorbing road shock. When you look at the bike head-on or from the rear, you'll see the stays and fork are built up fairly broad which keeps them laterally stiff. It's quite the system if you've never seen it in person. The FPX system on the current evolution of the Dogma and coming on the Prince has vertical ribs which further compliment the lateral stiffness.

Any other questions?
Well, according to the recent "Tour" tests these curves doesn´t work wery well. :roll: The fork was actually very hard in the front/back direction.

Pure eye candy... But I kinda like it anyway.
Prior to Mario Jr.'s post, I had responded to nexusheli
HammerTime2 wrote:Thanks. I have read the marketing pitch, but some of the marketing pitches are not always grounded in reality.
Then it came out that nexusheli is a sales rep for the Pina distributor.

Displeasure with Pinarello's bogus weight claims was already the order of the day.
On June 21, 2007 in new pinarello?, HammerTime2 wrote:
AlexanderDK wrote:PINARELLO PRINCE CARBON
SOE System Limited Edition
900g(size54, unpaint)
So how much weight does the paint add? They could say the frame weighs 0 g (without paint, tubes, lugs, etc.).

On September 20, 2008 in Rode a Prince. Not sure where my R3 stands now., The Prince wrote:I have had the Prince for a year now and since I first got onto the bike I have felt at one with it. It feels like no other bike I've ever ridden and that applies to when it has Mavic Ksyrium wheels on it.

It pisses me off when I read the negative comments about the Prince. Pinarello know what they are doing when it comes to making and designing bikes and the new Prince is no accident. It is the result of painstaking research and development combined with use of top quality materials. As far as I know it's the only bike with the 50HM1K carbon and those bendy forks and seat stays are not just to look good.

I fell in love with the Prince because of its looks and didn't test ride one (I know I should have done) so I guess it's down to luck that I have a bike that I feel totally at one with.
On September 20, 2008 in Rode a Prince. Not sure where my R3 stands now., HammerTime2 wrote:
The Prince should have wrote: Pinarello know what they are doing when it comes to marketing and designing bikes and the new Prince is no accident. It is the result of painstaking research and development combined with use of top quality marketing.

On October 16, 2008 in Is this a rebadge??, HammerTime2 wrote:
DocRay wrote:Pinarello has to be pissed about that fork design.
Maybe the Pinarello fork (and seat stay) mold producer guy was so drunk one day (he must have been drunk when he produced the Pinarello fork and (Prince) seat stay molds), that he accidentally went to the wrong factory, and in his drunken stupor, produced the curved fork mold for this new outfit.

On May 27, 2009 in Pinarello rumours? Super Prince?
HammerTime2 wrote:The Super Prince has SHMC (super high modulus of curvature) fork and seat stays. In other words, the curves are even bigger than on the Prince. This further enhances vertical compliance while maintaining lateral rigidity. In fact, the Super Prince is the world's first road bike with SVC (super vertically compliant) ride technology.

Just kidding.
HammerTime2 wrote:Edit: My source has informed me that SVC ride technology actually stands for "super vertical compliance", not "super vertically compliant" as indicated above. I regret the error.
HammerTime2 wrote:Prince has sued Pinarello for unauthorized use of his name. Henceforth, the frames will be relabeled as "the frame formerly known as Prince", and "the frame which would have been known as Super Prince".

In response to
marcusp wrote:i know that Di2 is pretty new but i can't believe that manufacturers haven't yet worked out that they need to put that jumble of the wires in the stem and the battery in the seat post.
cyman on here showed how to do it. if he can do it in his shed, how come major manufacturers are trying to sell us $10,000 bikes with a jumble of wires above the front brake and an ugly battery on the down tube?!! :unbelievable:
it's over 40yrs since NASA put a man on the moon; imagine the PHDs responsible for that sending $10,000 bikes to market with the jumble of wires / ugly battery. unthinkable!
On October 27, 2009 in Shimano Di2 compatible (prepared)-frames-thread., HammerTime2 wrote:If Pinarello had been in charge, the moon rocket would have been all curvy, because it would give a more comfortable ride for the astronauts, thereby encouraging the taxpayers concerned about the astronauts' well-being to increase the funding for the government to buy more, and more expensive, rockets.

I know the U.S. already bought a bunch of Apollos, but we've just completed development of the Apollo Dogma, which is is better than the Apollo, which was already the best possible rocket. So now the U.S. will have to buy some Apollo Dogmas to keep up with the Russkies.

On May 2, 2010 in Band on front mech / carbon tube, what torque?, HammerTime2 wrote:
eigner wrote that Pinarello Tightening torques_eng wrote:Make sure your authorized Pinarello dealer has all the torque wrenches required to tighten bolts in the range from 1.5Nm to 50Nm.
Hey Pinarello, shouldn't you make sure that your authorized Pinarello dealers have, and use, all required torque wrenches when working on your very expensive frames and components? Or are your margins so low (cough, cough) that you must rely on Joe consumer to narc them out (actually, the document doesn't say what the consumer should do if your authorized Pinarello dealer does not have or use all required torque wrenches).

There's more. Much more. But in the interests of not unduly violatng Kwalker's post length restrictions, let's call it a wrap.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I was informed by PM this evening that there was an error in my previous post. Dorothy's shoes in the Wizard of Oz were actually covered in red ruby's, not silver glitter as I had thought. Apologies... Shhhh.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

seanblurr

by seanblurr

There will be people out there who hate something for some reason. Just life.
Instagram @seanblurr

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Having had one of the first gen Paris carbons, back when Pina were still a "niche" or high end bike company, and rather rare round these parts, i found it to be a very stable, reliable ride but ultimately uninspiring ride for all its shouty "look at me" image...

It did nothing badly and you knew it would never bite you on the bum when things went a bit wrong. I guess thats the sign of a good design.

Then the whole sky thing took off, and all of a sudden they are everywhere. Market saturation. I guess that means their marketing strategy is working.
I suspect a lot of the "hate" is a belief that all the guys on new Pinas are "new" cyclists" and just bought because their cycling knowledge goes no deeper than tdf....
In my mind i think they've belittled their brand; Obtainable practically anywhere.
Whilst there's always been "low end" Pinas, they are now more affordable and better specced. The joy of asia??

Turn up for our club run on any sunday, and there'll be 4-5 out of a group of 12 riding them. Is it bad? no. Do i hate it? no. I'd rather have them out on a bike than not at all.

I dont think i'd rush out and buy another, but i keep reading great reviews on the Dogma, and if offered the chance to borrow one , hell, i'd jump at it like a shot!
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com