Pinarello Hate

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

In fairness, I had a Litespeed titanium frame fail at a weld after three years and two months.

I didn't think my lifetime warranty was a marketing tool then. It's like insurance, a waste of money until you need to make a claim.

As for my Cervélo frame cracking, I'm not sure being driven into by a car counts as a manufacturing or a design fault...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Warranties are good for that one off where there is a manufacturing flaw that was likely missed.
A company would not give out warranties on it's products knowing that the product would likely fail
within the warranty period.
Buying additional warranty on a product is a marketing tool but the warranty given to you when you buy a new item
is free.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

rijndael

by rijndael

stella-azzurra wrote:A company would not give out warranties on it's products knowing that the product would likely fail within the warranty period.

Sure they do, they just factor in the failure/replacement cost in to the original item's price.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Then that company won't last very long now would they?
Name one company that does that....Oh wait....Rapha! :lol:
But seriously I wouldn't want to do business with a company like that.
Your on your third frame that you broke under the warranty.
Would you still want a frame from them? No thanks!
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

53x12

by 53x12

Stella, plenty of guys on here have had that experience with Cervelo's. I would still rock one if I was upgraded a long the way. No problems at all on my side. Or the guys that had problems with SystemSix or the first gen SuperSix.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

airwise

by airwise

rijndael wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:A company would not give out warranties on it's products knowing that the product would likely fail within the warranty period.

Sure they do, they just factor in the failure/replacement cost in to the original item's price.

Might help to explain the rising costs of Cervelos over the years. :)

LionelB

by LionelB

Wingnut wrote:TIG steel Pinarello's made from early to mid 90's...Delgado, Indurain etc...

Isn't this one an aluminum bike ? Did Dario also do the alum Pina for Pros ?

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I see two in the picture. I need to get someone to make me a frame and then just re-spray it each year if I get different sponsors.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

53x12 wrote:Stella, plenty of guys on here have had that experience with Cervelo's. I would still rock one if I was upgraded a long the way. No problems at all on my side. Or the guys that had problems with SystemSix or the first gen SuperSix.

Some of those guys should not be riding those rigs because they might have a weight limit.
Sure Cervelo says no weight limit but you're that dude whose Mr. 250! (metaphorically speaking not implying 53x12 is Mr. 250)
But those frames can handle Roubaix!
Yes but with a much lighter dude like 1/2 your weight.
Sorry I apologize in advance. Just too good to pass up. :lol: :lol:

petepeterson

by petepeterson

airwise wrote:
rijndael wrote:

Might help to explain the rising costs of Cervelos over the years. :)

Pretty much.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

And you guys accept this as the new norm?

53x12

by 53x12

stella-azzurra wrote:And you guys accept this as the new norm?

rijndael wrote:

stella-azzurra wrote:Then that company won't last very long now would they?
Name one company that does that....Oh wait....Rapha! :lol:
But seriously I wouldn't want to do business with a company like that.
Your on your third frame that you broke under the warranty.
Would you still want a frame from them? No thanks!

New norm? Lifetime warranty isn't something that was just created in 2013. I think a lifetime warranty can be useful in some situations. I don't think Cannondale/Cervelo/Trek...etc. price their high end road bikes significantly different than similar companies that only offer a limited time warranty over say 3-5 years Look...etc.

Lifetime warranty is something nice to have. There might be some people with complaints of their Cervelo having multiple warranty issues, but many are happy they still went with Cervelo who will stand behind its product and upgrade them to the latest frame even if their old frame was 5-6 years old. Great to have a company that believes and supports its product.

"Then that company won't last very long now would they?" Cervelo, Cannondale, Trek seem to be doing just fine.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Would this be lifetime warranty only for the original purchaser?
If so this might be good for the original purchaser only.

This would be in the context the item breaking before the warranty period is up and therefore a company knows this so they offer a replacement frame which was originally factored into the original price as I understood it previous posts.
Therefore I would not want to buy a used item from said company unless I was an original purchaser.

And by the way I am not naming any frame company here. I'm just discussing the point of warranties.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I think it is usually stipulated that the warranty is for the original purchaser only in most cases.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

petepeterson

by petepeterson

It's worth discussing companies. As 53x12 (schumi, is that you?) points out, companies like Cervelo need to have this type of policy to keep people happy because their frames break a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com