Pinarello Hate

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Calnago wrote:I was informed by PM this evening that there was an error in my previous post. Dorothy's shoes in the Wizard of Oz were actually covered in red ruby's, not silver glitter as I had thought. Apologies... Shhhh.

Actually no. Slippers were originally Silver..
The original "Wizard of Oz" book was written as a political satire of William Jennings Bryans 1896 Election campaign which included his famous "Cross of Gold" speech, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_gold_speech , the central thesis of which was that the American poor were negatively impacted by their politicians insistence on maintaining the dollar to a "gold standard".

To whit: Dorothy, representing the American populace, aided by the Tin Man (factory Workers), Scarecrow (Agricultural workers) and the Lion (demobilized military from the American Mexican War) travel along a golden road to Oz. Along the road they are harassed by the wicked witch of the East (East coast Bankers) and the Wicked witch of the west ( the west coast farm owners) to find a wizard of Oz (the US president) powerless to intervene. They get back to Kansas by using her Silver Slippers, representing Bryans proposed addition of silver to the aforementioned gold standard. Slippers were changed to ruby in the film.

mythical

by mythical

Something I just came across: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-more-than-50-years-of-pinarello The article includes a gallery with many photos. As much as I can appreciate the racing pedigree and commitment to sponsorship to the sport, my feelings about the Pinarello brand go largely unchanged, but going so far as saying the brand doesn't have a place in cycling would be preposterous. At least bikes can't cheat/dope, so you can't exactly take any medals away from them either. I like that the stepped wavey forks/rear end is an unmistakeable signature look.

jekyll man wrote:i found it to be a very stable, reliable ride but ultimately uninspiring ride for all its shouty "look at me" image...
Isn't such an image desirable when racing? It's great exposure when your products shouts its presence from the rooftops. Probably why the brand is still selling whereas others have disappeared from center stage.

The question becomes: How many riders can be found blindly imitating pro cyclists? I mean, if it works for the pro's, why wouldn't a cycling enthusiast ride the same and believe it's the closest experience to being “like a pro.” And jekyll man, some shouldn't be on a bike for the sake of safety of others and themselves.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The name sounds nice.. Pinarello.. it's so Italian. it rolls off the tongue so well. I like french bikes though and mine screws LOOK at me too.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

si1ver
Shop Owner

by si1ver

Not that can't afford one but just don't like the look and the feel. And mainly because of its association to the type riders ( fill in the blank here :p) .

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Leviathan wrote:
Calnago wrote:I was informed by PM this evening that there was an error in my previous post. Dorothy's shoes in the Wizard of Oz were actually covered in red ruby's, not silver glitter as I had thought. Apologies... Shhhh.

Actually no. Slippers were originally Silver..
The original "Wizard of Oz" book was written as a political satire of William Jennings Bryans 1896 Election campaign which included his famous "Cross of Gold" speech, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_gold_speech , the central thesis of which was that the American poor were negatively impacted by their politicians insistence on maintaining the dollar to a "gold standard".

To whit: Dorothy, representing the American populace, aided by the Tin Man (factory Workers), Scarecrow (Agricultural workers) and the Lion (demobilized military from the American Mexican War) travel along a golden road to Oz. Along the road they are harassed by the wicked witch of the East (East coast Bankers) and the Wicked witch of the west ( the west coast farm owners) to find a wizard of Oz (the US president) powerless to intervene. They get back to Kansas by using her Silver Slippers, representing Bryans proposed addition of silver to the aforementioned gold standard. Slippers were changed to ruby in the film.

@Leviathan: Lol... that's an awesome summary of the Wizard of Oz and I feel like I've just completed a semester of English Literature (American style). If all professors could be as succinct and easy to understand as you in your post the education system would be much better off. Now if I could just get Toto to stay in his damn basket...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

trychle

by trychle

Leviathan wrote:I loathe them simply as every time I see that wiggly fork, which is about as much use as tits on a nun.

This pretty much sums up exactly all that I wanted to add to this discussion. :thumbup:

Rick

by Rick

Leviathan wrote:To whit: Dorothy, representing the American populace, aided by the Tin Man (factory Workers), Scarecrow (Agricultural workers) and the Lion (demobilized military from the American Mexican War) travel along a golden road to Oz. Along the road they are harassed by the wicked witch of the East (East coast Bankers) and the Wicked witch of the west ( the west coast farm owners) to find a wizard of Oz (the US president) powerless to intervene. They get back to Kansas by using her Silver Slippers, representing Bryans proposed addition of silver to the aforementioned gold standard. Slippers were changed to ruby in the film.

I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense when pointed out! Thanks !

I should add that, in spite of my prior sarcastic comment for attempted humorous effect, I think Pinarellos are really nice bikes. They are a little heavier than some, but that probably does add to stiffness, and I think the wiggly fork is a little silly, but maybe it really does help absorb shock and vibration. Pinarellos are much nicer frames than the one I currently ride and I would proudly ride one in a minute. They are too expensive for me, so I must admit that a part of my sarcastic criticism is simple jealosy. The most important aspect of frame quality is the integrity of the carbon layups and the precision of alignment of all the features. Pinarello has an excellent reputation on all those qualities, and in fact, I don['t think I have ever heard a substantial criticism.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

I thought it was all about finite element analysis and asymmetrical design? I recall reading an article when it first came out (the Prince?) because my cousin was gushing over it, but I can't find a decent article now. I resist judging it solely based on liking or not liking "the look". I would love to reread the science/testing behind it if someone has a good link.

Love the Wizard of Oz summary, btw. My grandmother had a first edition of the books but dang it my aunt gave them to the local library... :doh:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, Rick... I feel the same way. Pinarellos are fine bicycles in my opinion... better than fine. It's strictly their choice of design aesthetics that I question, and that's very subjective. But for sure I would rather ride one of their bikes than a whole bunch of others that are out there right now. I'm kind of in between sizes on their geo charts however. The other thing about Pinarellos is the extent to which they are copied. It's a shame, because that tarnishes the brand as well. I've had my hands on several "Chinarellos" to inspect and they are definitely NOT the same fit and finish as an authentic one, and who knows how they are laid up. But I work on a friend's black and white Dogma and I threw some dark label Boras on it just for him to have a look and man, that was a sweet looking bike. And even though I like straight lines versus curvy lines, the top tube of the Pinarellos is quite nice actually, which for me means it doesn't slope too much (which I really don't like), and overall it looks good. The glitter paint thing was not a good idea in my opinion, but I think they quickly realized that and went away from it in short order. It's not like Colnago hasn't thrown out some duds as far as paint schemes go either.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Leviathan

by Leviathan

kbbpll wrote:I thought it was all about finite element analysis and asymmetrical design? I recall reading an article when it first came out (the Prince?) because my cousin was gushing over it, but I can't find a decent article now. I resist judging it solely based on liking or not liking "the look". I would love to reread the science/testing behind it if someone has a good link.

Frankly its not just the look which annoys me, I find it so hard to believe that the "wiggly fork" is a product of FEA, if for no other reason than the requirements of a cycling fork (strength, vibration absorption, planar asymmetrical stiffness ,light weight) cannot be unique to cycling forks, and let you don't ever see any other application for wiggly lines which, lets face it, are more associated with the hand tremors of a compulsive masturbator.

trychle

by trychle

Wow Leviathan. You should get paid for these kind of comments! :mrgreen:

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I would hate any bike that Froomstrong rode .... oh his labrat Ritchie Porte .... something else to defy human limits , oh wait Moviestar rode em to the top too ....
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

jooo

by jooo

ahhh so, what's the point of this thread? :|

Sam

by Sam

Wasn't there a discussion earlier about how limited the warranty against manufacturing defects was? I remember something like Pinarello only offering 2 years. Cannondale has lifelong warranty if I remember correctly.

Something like that tells me how much the manufacturer is willing to stand behind it's products.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

The original Dogma magnesium was something else 8)
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com