Danish national team bikes stolen

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fitty4

by fitty4

30 bikes and 50 wheelsets were stolen from rides,coaches an helpers from the danish national team from the world championships, I don't have specific data but the brands were:
-Colnago
-Giant
-Koga
-Parlee
-Kuota
-Lightweight
-zipp
-specialized
-reynolds

Race and tt bikes were stolen
amongst others,some of the gear were from the 17 year old new world champion Amalie Dideriksen who don't have any sponsor, wheels , bike, helmet is now gone. I know that it might be a long shot to post in here hoping to get the bikes back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fitty4

by fitty4

one of the bikes: Image

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Details on the theft might help. Where, when, how?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I know where they are ... with the Russian bikes. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thieves ... mpionships

fitty4

by fitty4

They were stolen from the danish cycling union truck, it was parked in a parking lot in front of a hotel and there were cameras but they were smashed, they were stolen monday morning a guess from firenze, italy. The danish even parked a car in front of the rear end of the truck to make it more difficult to make a break in. Also saxo tinkoff lost some bikes they were staying at the same hotel

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Seems like a well planned job.

High end cycling shops are now being "hit" regularly in Italy, word is out on the value of the bits and pieces sold there.

Unfortunately.

Hope all the stolen material is found and the guilty are brought to justice.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grammar!
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Sorry for them, but they should have taken more precautions: 1 guy sleeping in the cabin of the truck + 2 trucks parked with rear end together.
This kind of precaution has been done since ages, and with good reason it seems.

record

by record

Any more pics and info on the bikes? I might take a look at some eastern european auction sites. Pics might help.
A light bike does replace good fitness.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Again?!? :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

seems there's a regular 'bike mafia' out there :?

i know stereotypes come into play (@record, why so suspicious of your own folk?) but you don't steal dozens of 10k bikes to sell them at ebay in a place (let's face it) where's hardly any market for such stuff. besides e-sales are easily traceable these days thus it poses some considerable risk to offer such 'rare' items online

IMO if you aim to sell such quantities you're looking for a receiver who already runs a legit bike business. FWIW i'd rather seek for them at high-end shops or local distributors than internet auctions :idea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

de zwarten wrote:Sorry for them, but they should have taken more precautions: 1 guy sleeping in the cabin of the truck + 2 trucks parked with rear end together.
This kind of precaution has been done since ages, and with good reason it seems.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. Would you volunteer to sleep in the truck and do you have a spare truck to park behind that one? It's been stated that they parked a car behind so obviously they have been thinking about the security.

tymon_tm wrote:IMO if you aim to sell such quantities you're looking for a receiver who already runs a legit bike business

You may have a sort of point there that they may try to be sold through a business, but it's not really a legit one if they're selling stolen bikes...?

I think that it could well be more likely that they'll be disassembled and sold on as individual parts, by a number of sources, that way, less traceability.The biggest problem is that we all like a bargain and I think that many buyers are willing to turn a blind eye for that bargain.

fitty4

by fitty4

I have no access to pictures of bikes missing, I don't know anyone related to the Danish Team so pictures are a little hard to get, also I don't which persons who are missing their bikes other than what I have read in the paper.

The bike of Amalie: http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-road-world-championships-2013/junior-women-road-race/photos/280904

record

by record

tymon_tm wrote:(@record, why so suspicious of your own folk?)

Why? Because I have found 3 bikes stolen in the UK and helped to recover them...

micky

by micky

In the past months or even years, there are more and more organized gangs going to high end bike shops, which I guess might be the same in this case, cause usually bike shop don't have much protection for their expensive items (the typical situation would be using a stolen car for smash the shop main window).

I personally have never heard of stolen bikes sold inside Italy, both on internet or shops, but in the past months local police found in a few occasions small vans full of bikes direct to east Europe.

In any case it's an emabarassing situation for us italians and hope you guys can find the bikes asap.

record

by record

micky, do you have access to any pics of the stolen bikes in Italy? There's a lot of bikes that are "almost new" "ex demo" "ex display" etc. on auction websites for a bargain price in a country where I live sold by private guys. I am sure these are stolen bikes from western countries. If anyone has any info about stolen bikes I might take a look at some of these lisitings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com