Can a lackluster season be attributed to the bike???

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Geoff

by Geoff

+1. Anybody who does not vigorously defend the position that the bike makes a massive difference on a public forum every time he gets a chance obviously doesn't have a wife watching his hobby expenditures...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r_mutt

by r_mutt

KWalker wrote:I have power files to prove it. 5mm too high of a saddle or if the drop/reach is off then it can make a big difference for me. Others differ. Some aren't as functional on the bike, which can reduce their efficiency slightly. A 1% drop in gross efficiency can lead to almost 5% drop in power.

there's no way that BMC didn't try to "fix" his position to mimic his older position (if it's even different, we don't know this for sure). after having such a great season 2 years ago, don't you think BMC has tried everything to right the ship? blaming the bike is an oversimplification.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I think to suggest that a small difference in position can affect power is missing the original point. The question is whether the same contact points, but with different lengths / angles to achieve this can be a factor.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

But that's a different theory, and would read "can a lackluster season be attributed to the bike fit?" - to which I would certainly agree it can.

Which is not what the OP asked, as he said

and although contact points may be the same

Bike fit affecting power, performance. Bike alone, I struggle to believe it.

KWalker

by KWalker

The contact points aren't the same though. Cyclingnews failed to actually measure properly. If you plug the setups into stack and reach calculators you come up with the numbers I posted earlier- 40mm more drop and 1cm more reach and a slightly taller saddle height.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

This is not specifically about Gilbert, he's just the example being used.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

ghisallo2003 wrote:I think to suggest that a small difference in position can affect power is missing the original point. The question is whether the same contact points, but with different lengths / angles to achieve this can be a factor.

HUMP :thumbup:
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

sawyer

by sawyer

Think we need to lock this thread.

He's on fire! :lol:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: