HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Strava cheats.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:23 am 

The flat KOMs are getting hard to get over here. Wind plays a huge role, and so do the motorpacing amateur/pro riders on training.
The hills are all taken by either Luca T. (Niki Terpstra), Greg Van Avermaet or another (semi-)pro.
The only thing left for me are cobblestones, as long as they haven't appeared in a race.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 am 

But of course I can't really say that I'm not competitive with a veloviewer score of 99.15 out of a possible 99.76 :D

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 am 

ultyguy wrote:
But of course I can't really say that I'm not competitive with a veloviewer score of 99.15 out of a possible 99.76 :D
Depends on the competition?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:11 am 

Very true, comp in my hood (Geneva, Haute Savoie) is fairly tough, but not Cali tough.

edit- in no way starting a chest thumping comp, don't worry, i'd lose :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:21 pm 

RE: GPS in cars. Doesn't Strava automatically remove blatant errors like this?

Don't get me started on charity rides. Someone tried to get money out of me the other day for riding 20 miles for charity. (yes I do mean 20, not even 200)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:59 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
We've all heard by now about digital doping. But what about gender identity doping, wherein a male rider registers with Strava as a woman. That would help a lot in KOM standings, no? A rider secure enough in his masculinity could do this for bragging rights. Maybe Strava needs to implement chromosome testing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:28 pm 

here's a more annoying thing than i'd like to admit.

when someone does their 'own' effort on a hill, but doesn't use 'obvious' reference points.

like they made the segment based on their own power graph to when they hit the 'go' button and when they stopped.

like for segments to not start at the bottom and not end at the top, seems.... i dunno 'bleh' to me. I dont think i've ever created my own segment. ALOT of people around me try and boost their segment quiver by making their own segments of their specific 'efforts'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:40 am 

Which is when I go out and beat their segment too :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 am 

haha this thread is funny. Don't most of us ride either way whether or not strava exists? I know I do, but Strava is pretty neat and better than garmin apps.

There is a WW strava club that you guys can join. I'm in there and I like to see what all these international freaks put up for miles. I don't chase/hunt segments really, just ride, but if I know I am on one I will give it a go. There are some dudes in my area, some cat 2/3 and masters who seem to be doping rides. Either that or it's just a bad ass effort, who knows. Our roads are pretty clear at 6:30am so they could be legit attempts.

Also agreed about the power meter lightning symbol - those data are the most telling since strava doesn't factor wind. It's guestimate watts are way off the mark unless it's dead wind. I am on a peninsula with high winds to it's relevant if you want to analyze your data properly.

Next year doing all spring/summer TT series and my regular masters racies. I will keep stravaing as well. The more challenges the merrier!

PS - I hate most "social" apps myself, esp facebook, narcissistic POS. But Strava is cool because it's about an activity, not just general BS.

Enjoy the roads!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:46 pm 

I don't really care about koms and the competitive aspect of Strava. I don't use any computer so I've been using it for tracking my riding more accurately. Before I'd check my watch before and after I ride, and try to remember how many hours I've ridden in the past week. :lol:

It's also pretty neat to follow pros and see what kind of rides they do, as well as racing/riding mates.

I don't want to get too serious in this topic, but imo the kind of people that take Strava too seriously are the kind that risk their own safety chasing segments, and that is not what Strava is about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:37 pm 
in the industry

nathanong87 wrote:
ALOT of people around me try and boost their segment quiver by making their own segments of their specific 'efforts'

Just hide them. And make an intelligent segment with landmarks and a descriptive name if it doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:50 pm 

Around where I am, it seems like every road is a segment. I can't deny that I don't give a little more effort when I know I'm on a segment, but I far prefer to see a bunch of 2nds than one PR. Good effort throughout the ride > trying for A KMO.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:46 pm 

Not to mention how confusing it is to look at segments, and realize there are several for the same stretch of road. Does anyone who is more familiar with Strava know if you can block certain segments, so ideally only one segment per actual stretch of road shows up?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 pm 

wojchiech wrote:
Does anyone who is more familiar with Strava know if you can block certain segments, so ideally only one segment per actual stretch of road shows up?
https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20945957-Hide-Unhide-Segments

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:57 pm 

I have had that happen and got a long kom that had two other kom segments inside the long one. I think it's true, people go in and make a segment ewhere they remember going particularly fast. It seems the maps are eventually filling up in highly populated areas though. I remember making segments two years ago on popular roads and hills, it's cool to see they've grown to have thousands of results. It's still a cool app and i personally don't mind the mixture of uber competitive psychos and relaxed weekend warriors on there both making whatever segments they want. I only flag rides that have car data by mistake in them. In my area there are some people motor pacing, timing wind, e-biking, digital doping, going at sunrise, etc. It's all good I suppose as long as noone's winning anything or getting hurt..

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next