Cycling routes in Big Surr California

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

So I'm gona be in Big Surr for the next 2 nights and need a couple if routes/gpx files if some sweeter rides around the area 3-4 hours and fairly vertical would be sweet.
I've already ridden the Latigo canyons from Santa Monica and then the Painted caves/Gibraltar from Goleta. I hear there is some sweet riding up at Big Surr, would be keen if any one is in the area and wants to hit up an early (6am) ride too?

Thanks. Sk

kode54

by kode54

sugarkane wrote:So I'm gona be in Big Surr for the next 2 nights and need a couple if routes/gpx files if some sweeter rides around the area 3-4 hours and fairly vertical would be sweet.
I've already ridden the Latigo canyons from Santa Monica and then the Painted caves/Gibraltar from Goleta. I hear there is some sweet riding up at Big Surr, would be keen if any one is in the area and wants to hit up an early (6am) ride too?

Thanks. Sk

are you packing your Parlee? Latigo canyon is pretty nice in SM. never rode in Big Surr, only visited. enjoy your trip!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Yea the Parlee is along for the drive! It's been pretty good so far

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

Take a trip down 17-mile drive. It's not a difficult course per say, but it has some beautiful scenery right next to Monterey.

Big Sur really only has one road of note - and that is PCH. Are you planning on camping there?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

A couple of videos from the Latigo ride
http://youtu.be/jlX8uFqm0Cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://youtu.be/YUbHMDsswjY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the Gibraltar one done but have to upload it

liketoride

by liketoride

if you do ride 17 mile please be careful and pre set your run. They have lots of bike lanes up there but my wife and i rode up there and it is a wonderful ride but we did not plan before and you go from great bike lanes to really tight roads with heavy traffc. Be careful and pre plan. That is really nice up there.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I'm riding at 6am so traffic hasn't been an issue. There are no signs on the corners something that we have in Australia that makes it easy to really hammer down unknown roads. So I've been taking is pretty easy

boysa

by boysa

If you want vertical, and if you're going north up to the Monterey area, I can give you a tremendous route in the Carmel Valley. Just send me a pm and I'll set you up.

The ride from Big Sur to Monterey is gorgeous, but in truth it's very sketchy unless you're in a big group. Lots of cars, narrow roads, and drivers "ooing and ahhing" at the view. They're definitely not looking out for you.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

konky

by konky

There must be some sensational riding all around CA. I've been to the Big Surr and I'd die to ride it. Lucky you!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Another video of the Santa Barbra ride

http://youtu.be/HFhshwuxGpk