2013 Weight Weenie Kit (SHOP NOW OPEN! Rolling orders!)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yes! Fantastic work Prend! :beerchug:

Super excited about the style choice! Can't wait to rock it on a group ride!

are

by are

Looks great! Thanks for the hard work. I'm also looking forward to wearing it.

Think there'll be any appetite to shorten up the inseam length on the bibs? It's hard to be certain, but it looks like, in my size, the bibs would be 3/4" longer than some comparables; I think both the Castelli Free Aero Race and Assos are about 9" in medium, while this looks to be 9.75".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jjmstang

by jjmstang

Nice job prend and thanks for all the hard work putting this together

-John
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

53x12

by 53x12

are wrote:Looks great! Thanks for the hard work. I'm also looking forward to wearing it.

Think there'll be any appetite to shorten up the inseam length on the bibs? It's hard to be certain, but it looks like, in my size, the bibs would be 3/4" longer than some comparables; I think both the Castelli Free Aero Race and Assos are about 9" in medium, while this looks to be 9.75".

Is that .75 in really going to be a deal breaker for you? What about guy that wants it .75 in longer?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

are

by are

No, it won't be a deal breaker for me - kit looks nice and the research on the vendors seems excellent. Of course I'm asking out of self-interest, but I think many high-end bibs (like those from Assos and Castelli; don't know about Rapha), have shorter inseams than the more mainstream consumer brands, like Pearl Izumi, Capo, etc. Since it's a custom order and many of the posters on WW are serious cyclists who likely wear nice clothes, maybe others would also be interested. At the end of the day, however, I'll live with whatever is selected as long as its reasonable and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

53x12

by 53x12

are, I understand what you mean. The issue with a team order is that once we start asking to shorten up inseam length on bibs or lengthening sleeve length on the jersey, it opens a whole new can of worms that I don't think the team order needs. That issue is ultimately Prend's decision. I just can't see it ending well if there are going to be a bunch of requests for custom sizing on the order. Not even sure if that is possible. All I am saying is that if some people are going to ask for it to be shortened, others will ask for it to be lengthened...etc. This isn't a kit for a Pro team.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, it's going to be an interesting case with sizing and I'll do my best to get things sorted and all questions answered. When things like this happen, most often it's a mix of your-best-guess and crossing your fingers about sizing. But I'm trying to overcome a little bit of that worry by getting as much sizing/dimension information as possible. I believe knowing the length of inseam will be a very useful part of sizing estimate, as the fabric itself will naturally stretch over our massive quads of power snuggly without being restricting. :lol:

Tomorrow I'll take some pictures from the samples I have on hand, showing the fabric details and anything to note.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

thprice

by thprice

Prend, great job. Please make sure the knicks fit my quads when I'm on the rivet and when I'm off the bike:
Image Image

:wink:
Last edited by thprice on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

fletch62

by fletch62

Any idea from the vendors on international shipping costs, ie: Australia?
Last edited by fletch62 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, from the point of view:

- location of WW membership
- bike retailers who sell internationally (i.e. UK leads the world)

It would better to have the vendor based in the EU, ideally the UK.

But that might be harder for Prend to organise.

A forward thinking vendor should bite your arm off to do this.

A thought on sizing:

- wld be really helpful if the sizing could be benchmarked against widely used brands. So for example if a couple of people can try on a couple of sizes and comment on how it comes up vs main brands.

I use Sportful and Castelli and know I'm a large in the jersey for each, and an L or XL for the shorts ... but am usually a US "M", so would be really helpful to have this information before the shop opens.

happy to be a sizing guinea pig if we do this
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

slyboots

by slyboots

No matter where the vendor is based there will be people on the other side of the pond who will have to deal with more expensive shipping. If the cost is high and there are several people who live close by, they can agree and make one order for all of them or use a consolidation/relay service (like shipito.com) and then distribute locally.

fletch62

by fletch62

I may have come off a little 'terse' in my post above.
Full credit to Prend for the work he has done so far. No complaints there.
Its just 'down under' we are a long way from anywhere Euro or US.
Depending on the number of aussies involved we may have to organise our own continent shipping but even that gets pricey.

Danza

by Danza

Just because the company is based in CA doesn't necessarily mean that's where the kits will ship from. Maybe prend has more details on this. Either way it'll probably take around a week to go anywhere either way.

Prend, Is the plan to order the jersey in the slim cut? Looks like the tour jersey has two cut options and the only review I've found online for jakroo kits suggests the normal cut leaves a lot of room in the chest.

sawyer

by sawyer

Danza wrote:Prend, Is the plan to order the jersey in the slim cut? Looks like the tour jersey has two cut options and the only review I've found online for jakroo kits suggests the normal cut leaves a lot of room in the chest.

Good question. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Need slim/race cut!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Answering a few questions in a single post, so bear with me here

sawyer wrote:It would better to have the vendor based in the EU, ideally the UK.

I did look into vendors in the UK and EU, but a few issues arose.

One of them was the general lack of enthusiasm when I asked about their logistics capabilities (ie, shipping to individuals and individuals paying), turn around times, and pricing (minimums especially). Then there was the feedback I've been hearing from people. Castelli, for example, can do the logistics thing... but they have minimums even with variations, teams that use them are still running into sizing issues, the feedback on their durability has been mixed, and nearly everyone complained about the customer service, ordering process and production-time-to-delivery. Similar stories arose with other vendors.

The other was what the survey revealed the overwhelming majority of buyers would actually be in the United States. Here's the breakdown:
Australia - 4
Austria - 1
Belgium - 1
Bulgaria - 1
Canada - 5
Czech Republic - 1
England/UK - 5
Finland - 3
Ireland - 2
Japan - 1
Norway - 2
Philippines - 1
Poland - 1
Portugal - 1
Russia - 1
Sweden - 2
The Netherlands - 2
USA - 38

These are just out of 72 respondents to the survey, not subtracting the 5 that declared 'deal break' off the design. It is not a guarantee that these are the final numbers, they are estimates as we may even get more orders when the store actually opens. However these are useful for the vendor to know as a guess of where they will be shipping to. Some of you may be wearing jerseys so unique you'll be the only one in your entire country with it!! That's pretty awesome.
If I can convince them to stuff an order in to a "flat rate envelope" then shipping will be really affordable.

sawyer wrote:But that might be harder for Prend to organise.

Also yes.

sawyer wrote: wld be really helpful if the sizing could be benchmarked against widely used brands. So for example if a couple of people can try on a couple of sizes and comment on how it comes up vs main brands.

happy to be a sizing guinea pig if we do this

I'll see what I can do to accommodate this. It will be difficult, however, as vendors often have their 'fit kits' spread out throughout the country/world with people trying them on, so when you call up to request certain sizes they may not have that actual size available at the time you're requesting it. It's really often a matter of luck to get exactly what you want. Some vendors will be able to send an entire fit kit (all sizes, full range), but will charge a shipping fee and a deposit of $500 (or more) to guarantee return.

That said, Jakroo does have very, very detailed sizing guides: it includes measurements of every detail you may want to know, and you can then compare this to your own body or whatever clothes you currently have in your own wardrobe.

slyboots wrote:No matter where the vendor is based there will be people on the other side of the pond who will have to deal with more expensive shipping. If the cost is high and there are several people who live close by, they can agree and make one order for all of them or use a consolidation/relay service (like shipito.com) and then distribute locally.

Slyboots definitely hit the nail on the head here! Totally correct analysis. No matter where we end up producing these, shipping will be an issue for someone somewhere.
I'll send the list of countries to the vendor to get approximate shipping estimates (based off of 1-jersey 1-bib/short) to each country that was listed through the survey. If I get those estimates I can then post them up here and you (plural) can then decide whether you (individual) want to organize yourselves by area/country. If some of you go that route I can then post the main 'contact person' for the area/country into the first post on this thread and you can work it out from there. I am hoping/guessing that shipping will actually be fairly affordable and quick if they go with USPS, so the individual shipping option may be the most likely scenario. I will have an update as soon as I learn more.

Danza wrote:Prend, Is the plan to order the jersey in the slim cut? Looks like the tour jersey has two cut options and the only review I've found online for jakroo kits suggests the normal cut leaves a lot of room in the chest.

YES!
The Giro level jersey has two cuts: "race" and "pro" (race being the tighter cut apparently)
The Tour level jersey currently has one cut, but speaking with the contact at Jakroo last week it appears that they are transitioning to a Tour-level jersey with multiple fit variations (club/pro/race ?? slim??)... I'm not sure how their internal shifting of pattern aligns with our order, but I will try to address your concerns today.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com