Members from the Garda lake area

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

In a few weeks i'm spending my vacation in Riva. Are there any members from that area who are willing to show me some good rides?

Thanks a lot!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I'll be further down near Salo for the 4th-8th of Sept if you want to took up for a ride. Plenty of big stuff up on the north side of the Lake though, just have a look around Strava. I did Monte Bondone (not too far away, near Trento) a couple of different directions in the Legendaria Charly Gaul a few weeks ago...I'm still in :frightened: mode

edit- avoid the lake road like a plague

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Frankie, I dont live very close to the lake but if you're willing to move by car I might be able to get half day off for show some of my local rides.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@ultyguy, thanks for the info. I've been at the lake some 7 years ago. Didn't mind the road around the lake then. I like that you would be willing to ride with me, but sadly by the time that you are there, i will be back in Holland.

@Micky, that would be very nice! I do have to talk that over with the wive though. How long of a drive do you think that it will be?
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

yeah, was there in peak tourist season, lake road was basically a parking lot but of course as you got into the hills, it got much better.

micky

by micky

Frankie, depends how much free time you can get, and if you prefer to do Dolomites or something more simple.

As ultygy just said, in these weeks it will be very crowded, lots of traffic around the lake.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

And I 'm planning to tackle this climb:

Dalai

by Dalai

Nice. Hope you are packing your climbing legs! :thumbup:

ave

by ave

This year I had 2 days riding around from Garda (the town)
I just picked out two middle sized climbs, wow, what a pleasant surprise they were.
Very nice surroundings, nice roads, not too steep, and just an occasional car or two for hours.
I didn't plan carefully and originally wanted to descent on that very steep road which was used in the Giro del Trentino last year.
http://www.strava.com/segments/1253271 (4km, average 17%)
But due to sunset I took the same road I climbed up. Lucky me.

But now I see you'll be much further North, it's much hillier there. I envy you! :)

micky

by micky

Go down on the east side and once you arrive in Malcesine, there's a small climbs which goes up for 5km or so; it's called "paronamica" cause it offers a great panoramic view in almost every meter of the climb.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Frankie, can you make it up the 6 1/2 km of 10%+ climb on a single charge of Gruber Assist? :beerchug:

Seriously, what gearing and wheels are you planning for that climb?

Edit:
On August 6, 2013 in Isaac Proton. Frankie - B wrote:In a few weeks i'll spend my vacation at the Garda lake. Then i will be using my more sensible 32 spoke RAR wheels.
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I think a 39x27 or 39x29 would be good.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@Micky, Saw the panaramica on google maps. good idea. Lets see if I can ride that with the wife as well.

@hammertime/Stella-azzura, I think I can just make it on one charge. It is the noise of the Gruber that I can't stand though. So now I need to bring earplugs as well. As for gearing. I ride compact, was thinking of 34x 25 max. or, I steal my wifes rear wheel for that day (she has a 28 as largest cog) But that wouldn't feel good I think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com