Road race little kid's bikes (24" wheels) ???

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

One of my girls is interested by road cycling. :D :beerchug:

She's small (8 yrs old, alittle over 4 feet (1,27m)).

I figure I have to choose a kid's road bike, with 24 inch wheels, and the best group I saw for these bikes was Shimano Sora 8speed.

Do you guys know any bike manufacturer that has a nice kid's model ? 650 wheels models will be too big for her I'm pretty shure. And the crank arms and levers have to be the right lenght according to the kid's height also...

The only brands I found were Argon 18 , Specialized, Louis Garneau for now...

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PalleRaa

by PalleRaa

Whenever people ask for bikes for their kids, being road race or mtb i suggest http://www.islabikes.co.uk

Their approach is to make the bikes easy, fun, cheap and light. Especially their mtb's are clever with only one chainring and no suspension. A 30-40kg wont utilize a 2kg 60mm fork for anyway.

Notice the short reach levers, very shallow drop and brakes on the top of the bar. All things that will give confidence to young riders. Also v-brakes for increase brake force with little effort. Whole bike is only just over 9kg. And only costs £349.99.
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two.
_.-*'´`'*-.__.-*'´`'*-.__.-*'´`'*-.__.-*'´`'*-.__.-*'´`'*-.__.-*'´`'*-.__.-*'´`'*-._
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I think this is a better option:

vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

LouisN

by LouisN

These two options are kinda nice.

Thanks, Bring em'on... Gives me a lot of ideas too, in case I find a frame/fork only...

Arky

by Arky

I think xnavalav8r did one a while back. Check his signature.

jdp211

by jdp211

Blue makes a 24 inch road bike
http://www.rideblue.com/2four.php

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My 6 year-old really loves his road bike. It's a Piedrahita with 20" wheels. I put a 9-speed Ultegra rear derailleur and short-reach STI shifters on it for him. Having researched many kids bikes, this was the best I found for him. For an 8 year-old the 24" wheels are probably the best option. As mentioned, most come with Sora 8-speed components. They have been made by Trek, Orbea, Felt, Blue, Colnago, and several other companies. Redline also makes a 24" cyclocross bike which is pretty versatile. I'd recommend looking on Ebay. Right now there are several older Trek KDR 1000 bikes for sale. Just do a search for youth road bikes.

Here is my son on his 20" road bike. He did 10 miles on it today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZCJ4SHHjY

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

A few more options that I forgot to mention. I'm not sure if these are all still in production or not.

http://deaves47.users.btopenworld.com/bikes/junior.htm

LouisN

by LouisN

That's handy Ted,

Thanks, :beerchug:

Geoff

by Geoff

I can hardly wait to be in that market! I started looking awhile ago, thinking that if I happened upon one I would buy it and store it until I needed it in a few years. There are actually lots of those types of bikes. When I was looking, Pinarello made one called the Kui with 24s, Felt has the F24, there was a Giant TCR Junior in 24, Trek had the KDR 1000 in 24 and Bianchi had the Jr. in 24. There were so many choices, I stopped looking. I am sure I will find one when I need it.

mvogt46

by mvogt46

Ted, his style on the bike reminds me of a mix somewhere between big Jens and O'Grady. I wonder if we'll see him floating across cobbles or stringing bunches out on big alpine climbs in the future!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Well, if his BMX prowess is any indication he is going to be one for the bumpy stuff. He was 3rd at the New England National last weekend in his first season of BMX racing. I'm just glad he likes to ride. I really look forward to sharing the sport with him.

J.v.S.

by J.v.S.

Bianchi are also doing some junior bikes

http://www.bianchi.com/Global/Bikes/Bik ... Master=899

As it's meant to be for a girl, design might be also be important :smartass: . It's great btw. that the young lady is into bike racing!

LouisN

by LouisN

I wonder if a BMX single ring crank (with shorter arms than road ones) would be fine, in terms of spacing, with an 8 speed setup like Shimano Sora.

Don't know if she'll need two front rings, or if it's too much to handle for an 8 yr. old, and if she'll get used to it before outgrowing this one...shure would be more gentle on the shifting (in an adult's mind anyways) than a big 11-32 cassette...

dmp

by dmp

http://pinarello.com/eng/fp0_453.php

I don't know what it costs, but you might as well start her out right!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com