What is your favorite bottle?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

gt5504b

by gt5504b

Ok, so here is some data.
21oz/610ml/71g & 24oz/710ml/76g podium bottles and 21oz/610ml/101g & 25oz/750ml/116g podium chills.

They aren't really weenies, but they work really well and keep my water from freezing on long winter rides.

ImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

quattrings

by quattrings

For regular weather riding (not extremely hot or cold), I like syntace's bottles.
It's made by Euro bottle, and I may try ordering direct from them.

So what do these bottles have going for them?
- very easy pop cap, which should be the only bottle allowed in racing in my opinion.
- bpa free and food safe plastics.
- longevity, first bottles don't show any sign of mold or funky smell.
- very flexible.
- best flow rate I've had ever.

For cleaning I soak several bottles in the sink, fully submerged in very hot water, as this will retain the bottles' shape better.
You can add 1 steradent tablet for further cleaning. If there is sugary residue take a wire brush to them.
Always store bottles empty and open to dry out, as the moisture inside is what's the breeding ground for bacteria.

Seeing as this is WW and i found this pic I may as well include it.

Horizons

by Horizons

Specialized Purist with either the Mo'Flo or Watergate cap, the only bottle that doesn't taste funny atmo.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

As a bit of fun I bought a couple of "sports caps" online and mated them with empties from the supermarket. I got bottles with a circumference close to that of a normal bottle without being any smaller - with thinner/more flexible plastic than a standard bottle that should make them an okay fit for the cages (these fit okay, but would fit better with a small adjustment to the cages). Not a comparison against the insulated drinks bottles of course, but as far as ease of drinking goes the sports caps I got actually worked better than my standard bottle, though the more flexible bottle plastic helped too. For reference, the standard bottle shown is 750 ml and 56 g.

Sports caps only:

Bottles 1 and 2
ImageImage

Side-by-side comparison

Using two of the lighter (33 g) bottle + sports cap I would save 46 g on a ride for just a few dollars.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Can someone recommend a conical bottle that is BPA free. I know Tacx makes conical bottles, but no info if they're BPA free, and I had no luck with contacting them.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'll chime-in on my experience with CamelBak Podium chill 25oz (26oz max if filled to the lid). Quote from CamelBak "A double-walled bottle construction uses closed cell foam technology to keep your water cold twice as long as a standard bottle". Yesterday, I received Soma water bottle, which weight half compared to CamelBak!

I was curios to see how CamelBak would perform compared to cheap Soma bottle. Both water bottles were filled to the top with cold water from refrigerator and placed outside in 90+ degrees temperature with 35% humidity for 60 minutes.

120 grams CamelBak Podium chill (26 oz max) 71 degrees (water temp measured after 60 min of being in direct sunlight)
62 grams Soma (24 oz max) 73 degrees (water temp measured after 60 min of being direct sunlight)

Gotta love CamelBak's claim "...technology to keep your water cold twice as long as a standard bottle". Simple methodology exhibit 2 degrees delta with CamelBak's insulation.
:welcome:

Relevant thread of lightest water bottle (Soma in this case) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36665&hilit=soma
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TedStriker

by TedStriker

Just always gone for the plainest black bottle!

Stefano

by Stefano

Specialized purist for me, with the moflo cap. Tried elite, camelbak, other specialized bottles, trek/bontrager, tackx... Specialized tastes the best, has the best flow and comes in insulated and normal. Just wish they weren't an awful company, I feel guilty every time I take a drink...

ITTY

by ITTY

Agree about Spec being awful, but they do have nice bottles. Our sponsor bottles are purists, and they taste better than anything else. I'm not a huge fan of the caps since they don't let air back in after taking a drink (bottle stays "crushed" longer), but I don't mind them either.

Funny about the Soma vs. Camelbak comparison. I guess I won't be buying camelbak bottles anytime soon.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Can someone chime in on Spesh purish moflo bottle vs. purist watergate bottle? I'm interested in 26oz. Looks like the only difference is the cap? Anyone weight these two?
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/bo ... flo-bottle
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/bo ... ate-bottle
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Another vote for Purist.
Colnago e Campagnolo

eric

by eric

mpulsiv wrote:Can someone chime in on Spesh purish moflo bottle vs. purist watergate bottle? I'm interested in 26oz. Looks like the only difference is the cap? Anyone weight these two?
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/bo ... flo-bottle
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/bo ... ate-bottle

Moflo is like a standard older Specialized bottle cap only larger in diameter and flows more. If the cap is open and the bottle falls over or its on your frame and you hit bumps, water will come out.

Watergate has a valve in it. Even in the open position it doesn't flow unless you squeeze. It does not take much of a squeeze so you don't notice it when drinking. But the valve doesn't
leak or dribble like regular valves. It's good for sports drink, you don't get it all over the frame.

There's a new Hydroflow bottle. The bottle is slightly triangular and a little tapered at the bottom. It's also very soft. My wife picked up one at a race last year when she was doing feed zone duties and it's my new favorite water bottle. I still prefer the stiffer Purists for sports drink.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

mpulsiv wrote:
I was curios to see how CamelBak would perform compared to cheap Soma bottle. Both water bottles were filled to the top with cold water from refrigerator and placed outside in 90+ degrees temperature with 35% humidity for 60 minutes.

120 grams CamelBak Podium chill (26 oz max) 71 degrees (water temp measured after 60 min of being in direct sunlight)
62 grams Soma (24 oz max) 73 degrees (water temp measured after 60 min of being direct sunlight)

Gotta love CamelBak's claim "...technology to keep your water cold twice as long as a standard bottle". Simple methodology exhibit 2 degrees delta with CamelBak's insulation.

I'm calling BS on that unless the Soma isn't a regular bottle.

Here in the desert where it hits triple digits regularly the Camelbak is a life saver! It keeps fluid colder much longer than my standard bottles. I can fill my regular bottle with ice and it will be warm after an hour. While my Camelbak with ice will still be cold after an hour of riding. Maybe I'll do a measured test to find out, it would be interesting to measure the thermal resistance of each material.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bombertodd wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:

I'm calling BS on that unless the Soma isn't a regular bottle.

Here in the desert where it hits triple digits regularly the Camelbak is a life saver! It keeps fluid colder much longer than my standard bottles. I can fill my regular bottle with ice and it will be warm after an hour. While my Camelbak with ice will still be cold after an hour of riding. Maybe I'll do a measured test to find out, it would be interesting to measure the thermal resistance of each material.

Is there an incentive for me to BS here? I have been using Camelbak insulated bottles for years and still do but never questioned their marketing BS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

No incentive I can think of, but the Camelbak chill bottles really do work compared to a standard bottle in my experiences. gt5504b and many others say they work too. Your results do not match the consensus of users, just pointing that out.