PLANET X : warranty?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Renatita81

by Renatita81

I recently purchased a tubular carbon wheelset from planet x that I was only able to ride for 120 miles because I just discovered a 1cm crack on the rear wheel by the break surface , after contacting planet x with a few email and pictures of the damage wheel they told me that the crack was created by an impact! And warranty will not cover it!! Have any body had to deal with planet x warranty for a wheel replacement? Or do you guys think this should be still under warranty ? Here are some pictures of the wheel.ImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Did you hit any potholes or similar in the 120 miles that could have caused a crack?

xcnick

by xcnick

All I can say is good luck! I had one of their steel (or tin) Kaffenback frames literally fold on me. They said I had hit something at high speed yet the fork and wheels were completely perfect. I offered to take the bike to them for inspection as I only live 50 miles away, they weren't interested. I have always found their customer service poor but their prices are sometimes too hard to resist.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

xcnick wrote:All I can say is good luck! I had one of their steel (or tin) Kaffenback frames literally fold on me. They said I had hit something at high speed yet the fork and wheels were completely perfect. I offered to take the bike to them for inspection as I only live 50 miles away, they weren't interested. I have always found their customer service poor but their prices are sometimes too hard to resist.

It is quite common for that to happen. You'd think that the damage would be distributed more evenly, but vey often only one part fails,

Both of you have discovered the hard way the perils of distance selling.

As for the OP, it does look like impact damage due to the nature of the failure.