The Failed Parts Thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spOOn1965

by spOOn1965

All cyclists, have experienced failing parts, when riding.
-In some cases very minor, in other, -very dramatic !
The purpose of this thread, is to learn from others, that "-Took one, for the team.."

Here, on WW, -We see a little more of failing, because We push the limits !
-Some builders tune already light parts, even more !
- That is called Evolution ! Very important for the human race.

The thread is not about wrong usage, or very old, fatigued components.
-And hopefully not about the eventual crashing, and personal damage.

-Just a brief description (and pic.) of part, -and what went wrong.

I'll start with one now.

Pulley Wheels, Aerozine 5.8gr. a pcs.
Weak bearing..jpg

Minimal sized ball-bearing, Broken after 10 days use. Heavy play and sandy feeling.
Had an extra Aerozine unused, and when pressed a little hard with fingers only, it dislocated inner race, and is now broken too ! I have to say, the seller (Taiwan) refunded Me instant (Like He knew they were weak), so no financial or personal damage involved.
-Will Race for food..

fitty4

by fitty4

I had some jockey wheel similar but made of alu with a lot of play causing the chain to jump of the jockey wheel.
Nice thread, maybe it will guide people to stay of certain products

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spOOn1965

by spOOn1965

Hi fitty4.
When You say "similar, but made of alu -", I get a little confused...
My Aerozines are made of alu ! -Was Yours, exactly the same model (5.8gr) as on My picture, -or almost the same ?
I hope this thread can be a precise guide to avoid certain specific versions of WW-stuff, that is no good.
(and no need to reprint the entire post again when replying.)

Hope to see some broken carbon also..
-Will Race for food..

spOOn1965

by spOOn1965

As this thread has been moved here (Cycle Chat), the easy Photo attachment feature is gone...
I don't use external Photo-servers to keep My pics. -So no more (picture-less) posts from Me.
The close-ups, of parts was an important way to recognize the exact versions of bad parts.
Good luck, buying light stuff that breaks easy.
-Will Race for food..

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

spOOn1965 wrote:All cyclists, have experienced failing parts, when riding.

Never had anything fail in 30 years and zillions of miles. You buy the right kit for any particular application.

chipomarc

by chipomarc

Still going strong after 30 years

spOOn1965

by spOOn1965

Congratulations !
I also still have some bikes from the early 80's, that has never failed in any components !
They are built Heavy Duty, all over.

-But The true WW-builds, (Where We try to construct an Ultra light ride, still safe), are pushing the limits for the new materials used.
In this process, failures are important, for setting these limits.
-Do not be shy of showing Your Light-experiments, that was tuned a little to much..
-It only shows that You are active in the process of development, and testing, of new solutions. :thumbup:

...For some though, -better safe and heavy.
-Will Race for food..

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I had a Litespeed Ti seatpost snap back in about 95...head came clean off while I was riding home...had to pedal about 20km without being able to sit down!

spud

by spud

what specifically broke? The Ti flanges welded to the top of the shaft, the upper clamp, or the pull down collars? Just curious.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Still wearing the knit gloves. Nice!
Was this a period ride? :mrgreen:

chipomarc wrote:Still going strong after 30 years

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

My Trek Madone has snapped two seatpost bolts. It's the teardrop shape seatpost, not the current design, and the bolt keeps shearing off inside the post, so there is really no salvaging it. Each time, it has cost me a new post, since it isn't covered in the frame's warranty.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

FIJIGabe wrote:My Trek Madone has snapped two seatpost bolts. It's the teardrop shape seatpost, not the current design, and the bolt keeps shearing off inside the post, so there is really no salvaging it. Each time, it has cost me a new post, since it isn't covered in the frame's warranty.

Do you not have an argument of 'fitness for purpose' if it keeps happening and as they have changed the design since too. Failing once could just be unlucky but more than once seems to imply either you are doing something wrong in installation or a design flaw.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Design flaw. I've had it happen as well, twice actually. Both times bolts were properly torqued, slightly under the recommended torque the second time. The real pain about it is that the bolts tend to sheer of inside the post and are almost impossible to remove. Making a $2 part fail into a $75 part replacement or whatever they cost.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

spud wrote:what specifically broke? The Ti flanges welded to the top of the shaft, the upper clamp, or the pull down collars? Just curious.

The curved Ti plate tore clean off the top of the shaft...the clamp etc was all still attached to the saddle... :roll:

Cjcc67

by Cjcc67

A titanium bolt snapped on my 3T ARX stem, it was not over torqued. A search after the fact revealed this is common.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com