HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: tattoos
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm 

dereksmalls wrote:
Leviathan wrote:
can we please, for the love of god and all that is holy, refrain from posting photos of unclothed, shaved/waxed men on this forum. In fact, refrain from posting ANY photos of unclothed men on this forum. As if skin tight lycra wasnt bad enough.

Get over it. I'm assuming you're a male, do you get dressed in the dark as the unclothed male form repulses you? Do you wear blinkers and look down the whole time you're at the beach so as not to accidentally see a topless man? Get a grip.

Im thinking the Mormon Undergarment would be a good look for me... I see quite enough middle aged topless manflesh in my day job, thanks :)

As to "heteroflexibility", jamming two words together doesnt give it legitimacy, its a sighthorror...

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:49 pm 

KWalker wrote:
Honestly if you can't come up with something specific on your own you shouldn't bother getting one. Don't feed the trend beast and get something terribly done because you don't understand what you're getting, what to look for in a good artist, etc. Not trying to be elitist, but it sucks when people treat it like a phase or fashion trend. Useless flash is just as trite as a tramp stamp.

+1!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:14 pm 

I'd love to get one but I change my mind on things two often and would want to change it and then I would be stuck like so many others. If they could be removed like in Star Trek I'd be all in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:15 pm 

Looking forward to seeing her on the podium. Her helmet supplier must like a challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 pm 

I wish I hadn't clicked that link...

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:42 pm 

I'm surprised I don't see more tattoos on cyclists.

I'm also surprised at the prejudice towards them here.

I've got a triathlete friend who owns a tattoo shop - he seems to get a rookie mark nearly every time he goes out to ride. I'm always pestering him to just tattoo it on and be done with it.

I've got several tattoos. Two are visible when I'm on the bike.

p.s. I'm now fairly convinced that Karsten does indeed hate everything. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 pm 

I have several tattoos and am very into Japanese tattooing. I have flown across the country several times to get work done and my tattoos are worth more than my bike.

Unfortunately, most people with tattoos have absolutely awful quality work and its a peeve of mine to see someone completely botch a traditional design just to get a sleeve to look cool. I have a koi half sleeve on my leg and often get bros who come up to me and want to show me their koi whatever that is just terribly executed because they didn't take the time to actually look into the elements of the design and just went to some shitty cheap artist that would do their stuff in one or two sittings.

I'm not saying everyone has to like what I have or that everything I have is perfect, however, as the OP implied they have zero idea of what they actually want and just want to 'get a sleeve'. These people are just bastardizing a craft because its trendy to get large pieces right now. If you don't have an idea you shouldn't get something done, period. I planned my last piece out for 9 years before I got it and despite wanting more work and having the means to get it done never got anything in the meantime.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:43 pm 

Imaking20 wrote:
I'm surprised I don't see more tattoos on cyclists.

Tattoo's go on skin.

We race bikes and crash on...our skin.

So not only does the road give me enough 'tatts' but I'm also not keen on destroying any due to crashing.

I do have 2, but they are on my upper trapezius muscle - chances of a crash getting it are pretty slim (and just happened to be by chance, as I got it there before bikes - just wanted one that was discreet).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:51 pm 

I hate crits with left hand turns because I'm afraid of crashing on the piece on my shoulder.

I've had a chainring eat a nice scar into my lower ankle and half sleeve, but that's just life. I won't get extensive back work done until I race a bit less.

The tattoos that pro cyclists have are, for the most part, awful. Boonen's tribal made me instantly stop admiring him as a rider and Pozzato's stuff is hilariously awful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:49 am 

Most pros just have boring text tattoos.

Only cool pro tattoo I can think of is the guy with the soap that says clean on it.

edit; Phil Gaimon

Post subject: tattoos
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:56 am 

Andy! http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lekdw90Rif1qbrxg3.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:08 am 

http://bicycling.com/blogs/livingthedre ... an-tattoo/

Interesting and a pretty cool idea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 am 
Administrator

This thread is starting to sound like Shimano verses Campy. Tattoo's like components are a very personal choice and if done right have a significant meaning to the person wearing the body art. The can represent stupidness, religious belief, or could be a memorial to someone that has significance to us or something that we are passionate about such as cycling. My youngest daughter's undergrad thesis was a 60 page study of tattoo's, cultural anthropology.

I myself have three and all on my legs. The back of each calf and one on the right side of my right leg right above the sock line. They are cycling related since they represent a nickname given to me by my team mates almost 25 years ago. The theme is something I'm also very passionate about too. My left calf gets many comments and compliments. I had someone this past Sunday while grocery shopping ask if it was okay to take a picture of my left calf.

My only advise is to avoid the reason of stupid and impulsive and to choice your artist well. Work with them on the design since it can be removed from the "canvas" but the price tag for removal is higher than the original artwork. I put was more time into the design than I did getting the artwork done.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:59 am 

shoopdawoop wrote:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/livingthedream/2010/10/04/clean-tattoo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting and a pretty cool idea

Then opening line

Quote:
With all the messy doping stories coming out in the news lately

is really quite sad. As the article was written in 2010...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 am 

Adam Myerson has the same "clean" tat as Phil Gaimon. You want tatted up cyclists he's got quite a few. Kayle Leogrande (yeah that guy from Rock Racing that got busted for doping) runs a tattoo studio and he has tons as well.

Myerson

Leogrande

We can't forget Dave Clinger now can we?

This is mine below, I love it (It wraps around, I just couldn't get a good photo of it with my phones camera). I also have a very large chest piece that looks sweet when my jerseys unzipped. Roam around some alleycat races, you'll find plenty of tattoos there....

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 am 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next