Michigan Mountain Mayhem MMM, questions

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dbordewisch

by dbordewisch

to anyone who has completed or tried. What are the roads like? How are the food stops. what worked and what did not. The weather? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wetpaint

by wetpaint

The roads are either black top or tar and chip roads. Pretty much all in good condition & nearly the whole route is on back roads.

Food stops are good, you can get hammer stuff or real food, fruits, bagels, cookies, etc. It's a very well supplied and well run event.

Weather - depends, I skipped the 2011 ride because it was 50 degrees and downpouring rain. Should be mid 70s this year, It looks like rain in the forecast, but you never can tell in Michigan

Here's the old 200k route
http://app.strava.com/activities/1074094

160k route from last year
http://app.strava.com/activities/10438224

DaleRider

by DaleRider

Please post a report after the ride. I missed teh sign up for this year and I really wanted to do it. Hopefully next year

dbordewisch

by dbordewisch

nThank you for the information. My plan will be 25s on regular clinchers not tubular deep carbon aero wheels. Does this seem like the right choice? Will post a report on how things go. There were some slots for sale out there if you were really wanting to do the event. Maybe Dirty Kanza for me next year.

wetpaint

by wetpaint

I normally ride my tubulars quite a bit in Michigan, but I'll be using carbon clinchers with an 11-28. I'd rather not drive all the way there and risk double flatting with tubulars.

dbordewisch

by dbordewisch

Thanks, how deep are your wheels?

wetpaint

by wetpaint

50mm

wetpaint

by wetpaint

DaleRider wrote:Please post a report after the ride. I missed teh sign up for this year and I really wanted to do it. Hopefully next year

Weather was a bit cold this year 50-60 degrees, but this is the only year there hasn't been rain so that was very welcomed.

Rode pretty hard with 4 other people for the ride, 395tss day. 129 miles in 6:12
http://app.strava.com/activities/59086576

As usual the route was perfectly marked, tons of food options at each stop.

DaleRider

by DaleRider

Cool!! Thanks for the data. Gives me an idea as to where I need to be for next year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dbordewisch

by dbordewisch

It was a fun challenge. I will back next year to see how fast I can go. Did the 200k route. All of the rest stops were well stocked with a map and plenty of food. The roads were great. I will definitely use race wheels next year. There was only one descent, that was marked, that was rough. About 1/2 mile long. If I could swing it even the August ride looks fun. Stayed Friday night in Gaylord, Holiday Inn Express. Seemed clean, ok breakfast. Bibs, jersey, light weight full finger gloves, DeFeet Blaze socks and arm warmers at the start 7:15am. That worked great for me, took arm warmers off about mile 60. Course was well marked and easy to follow. However the "Super Climb" just had one arrow painted on ground. Then once on the trail I missed an unmarked turn. It was all for fun so no big deal. Used 53/39 with 11-25t and used them all. Things to differently. Next time do not get to the hotel at 2:45am. Saturday morning, left me a little sleepy at the start. Eat more around miles 80-95,my tank ran low the last 15-20miles. I will be online waiting to sign up again.