brexit,, huge buying opportunity forf us/cad online shoppers

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spartan

by spartan

imho brexit is a huge mistake for the british.. with the re-adjustment of the GBP consumers get a 10-15% discount.

enjoy while it lasts
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

velomane

by velomane

Except for the fact that the Canadian dollar has tanked as a result.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Agreed spartan, I think it's a terrible decision, made by the English, pulling the rest of us out with them. But a great deal to be had from already cheap online retailers, especially in the US.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Can you please force another Scottish referendum out of the UK and let me move up there? :?:

EDIT: (I think that's probably more plausible than the idea of London leaving the UK that was tabled by the London Mayor this morning)
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'd say another independence referendum is almost guaranteed - Sturgeon has already come pretty close to declaring one in her 'it's on the table' speech. I cannot see how the SNP will skip the opportunity after all the argument over EU membership during the last one. Whether or not they'll succeed is a different matter with the oil price through the floor though.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I love the fact that petrol retailers have just announced that the drop in the pound will result in massive price hikes at the pump, just days after the cost of brent crude dropped through the floor. :roll:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Rick

by Rick

It looks like, at this moment, the $ is up about 6% vs the Pound vs yesterday. Sort of a miniscule change in the historical context.
But I don't expect any of that to last long. markets always drop sharply in response to any form of uncertainty. What happens 1 month to 6 months from now is the real indicator.

sawyer

by sawyer

campbellrae wrote:I'd say another independence referendum is almost guaranteed - Sturgeon has already come pretty close to declaring one in her 'it's on the table' speech. I cannot see how the SNP will skip the opportunity after all the argument over EU membership during the last one. Whether or not they'll succeed is a different matter with the oil price through the floor though.

I very much doubt a UK Government will agree to that (which is what is needed for it to be legal). One response is to have one anyway, but as attractive as that might be for nationalists ... it is potentially very dangerous ... you have then created a situation in which those who don't favour independence can say it is illegal and boycott/refuse to accept it ... and in short order you are heading towards a Northern Ireland situation
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

campbellrae wrote:Agreed spartan, I think it's a terrible decision, made by the English, pulling the rest of us out with them. But a great deal to be had from already cheap online retailers, especially in the US.

But you agreed to be part of the UK as recently as 2014 and knew this kind of thing was a possibility right?

Who else has had a say on whether they want to be part of the UK?

Anyway, on the wider point markets overreact ... FTSE bounced back to just over 3% down on worst day anyway.

Seriously, accommodation will be found and it won't turn out to be the huge deal people pretend.

The EU will fall apart in its current guise and will revert to a single market with restrictions on movement between some countries reflecting democratic wishes ...

Other votes to come I'm sure ...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

velomane wrote:Except for the fact that the Canadian dollar has tanked as a result.

Not against the GBP. GBP is off 6.3% against the $Can since the close yesterday as I write this.

$Can/$US is at 77c which falls nicely in the 76-79c range it's been in for the past 3 months.

Hardly "tanked"
Last edited by bikerjulio on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

wingguy

by wingguy

campbellrae wrote:I'd say another independence referendum is almost guaranteed - Sturgeon has already come pretty close to declaring one in her 'it's on the table' speech.

Who cares? Sturgeon would only be able to declare a referendum if you were already independent. And you aren't. Because you don't want to be.

sfo423

by sfo423

Its the Trump effect! :beerchug:

jeffy

by jeffy

in the last few weeks of campaigning the Leave campaign's hysteria / emotion over logic / scapegoating against all evidence to the contrary....felt VERY like the Trump phenomenon.
How we laughed at the sillyness across the pond. :oops:

sfo423

by sfo423

Its easy to want to be inclusive and blame your problems on everyone not like you. Good luck finding that good burrito (NOT made by an immigrant) for less than $15!

jeffy wrote:felt VERY like the Trump phenomenon

sawyer

by sawyer

sfo423 wrote:Its easy to want to be inclusive and blame your problems on everyone not like you. Good luck finding that good burrito (NOT made by an immigrant) for less than $15!

jeffy wrote:felt VERY like the Trump phenomenon

I don't disagree, but it's also kind of the point ... it's a blue collar revolt that as much as anything is about the suppression of blue collar wages by immigration / being told they can't speak about it / political correctness etc.

I do like the EU (Donald Tusk's) reaction ... we need to be harsh to scare others not to do the same ... when will they learn to actually listen to the people and understand what is going wrong??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com